TSN: Dreger Report: The Peter Principle

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.tsn.ca/dreger-report-the-peter-principle-1.223962

Hey Bruins fans,
Just wanted to post this from Daren Dreger because he mentions Peter Chiarelli and Claude Julien, so here is some of what is written.

There's no question Chiarelli is feeling the heat and acutely aware he might be working on borrowed time.

While this may make sense to those in the thick of it in Beantown, the mere thought that one of the NHL's brightest and most successful GMs could be cut loose at the end of the season is mind-boggling to his peers.

"I can't believe the heat he's taking - it's ridiculous," an Eastern Conference general manager told The Dreger Report. "There's no question Chiarelli would have a chance to work as soon as he wanted to.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
The notion that he'd quickly find work if released and the notion that he has made a few notable blunders as GM are not mutually exclusive.

We like Pete. We just want him to think more and stop making questionable moves.

Last edited:

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
Obviously I'm in the minority here, but I don't want him let go. I want Neely to give him the off-season and at least the start of next year before making a move. Just my 2 cents

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
If "one Eastern Conference GM" thinks it's ridiculous that Chia is taking heat, I wonder what the perception of the Bruins organization is among other NHL executives. That's to say, if Chia gets fired, would potential replacements be reluctant to throw their name in the ring out of concern that they too will come under fire unreservedly? Just thinking out loud.

81ragnaH

May 29, 2007
Lynn, MA
The notion that he'd quickly find work if released and the notion that he has made a few notable blunders as GM are not mutually exclusive.

We like Pete. We just want him to think more and stop making questionable moves.

Isn't this one of the biggest knocks on him though? Here anyways, everyone's always "evaluate" this and "evaluate" that.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Obviously I'm in the minority here, but I don't want him let go. I want Neely to give him the off-season and at least the start of next year before making a move. Just my 2 cents

Oh really? It is not like he is a player and is supposed to train hard during the summer and then come to camp in better shape.

Southern Gentleman B

May 1, 2011
Brevard, NC
Chia had better send Dreger a Christmas card this year for that article. I admit to going back and forth on whether Chia deserves more time to improve our aging team, but just because another team or two might line up to hire Chia doesn't mean he is as great a GM as that article seems to imply.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Chia had better send Dreger a Christmas card this year for that article. I admit to going back and forth on whether Chia deserves more time to improve our aging team, but just because another team or two might line up to hire Chia doesn't mean he is as great a GM as that article seems to imply.

The dude has an unreal resume for team performance regular season and playoff...hard to argue he isn't a great GM. I doubt Chia is worried about employment should the team terminate his contract, which would be a massive mistake.

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
The dude has an unreal resume for team performance regular season and playoff...hard to argue he isn't a great GM. I doubt Chia is worried about employment should the team terminate his contract, which would be a massive mistake.

Totally agree. PC is a great GM and if there's somebody that I have confidence in to rebuild/retool this team it's him.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Absolutely. He'll get paid through 2018 either way. If he gets fired, he can take his time finding the right fit.

I'm assuming if he gets another job there's a clause saying he doesn't continue to get paid by Boston. Maybe what B's are banking on?

Either way, Chia is set and it seems that he has at least some support in industry. Sounds almost like if he gets fired they'll be laughing more at Boston than at Chia.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
http://www.tsn.ca/dreger-report-the-peter-principle-1.223962

Hey Bruins fans,
Just wanted to post this from Daren Dreger because he mentions Peter Chiarelli and Claude Julien, so here is some of what is written.

On the outside chance the unnamed Eastern Conference general manager is Marc Bergevin, who obviously wouldn't want Chiarelli or Julien fired, I can't put much stock in this. ;)

Kidding aside, I do agree with the sentiments. The other questions are, who out there is better suited for the job, and is change for change's sake the best option right now?

Sure firing them could be both punitive and preventive of further blunders, but as much as we all regret the Seguin trade, it's very possible we'd regret letting either or both Chiarelli and/or Julien go.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Here at the lunatic fringe, yes you are in the minority.

But in terms of all Bruins fans, I'm sure you are in the silent majority.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

This is my perspective as well. Broken record here, but given all He has accomplished for the organization & long suffering Bruins fans, Chiarelli has earned the opportunity to rectify the situation.

We'll know this summer whether Peter will undertake the significant retool necessary to point the franchise back in the right direction. I would have preferred that he had begun this process at the deadline, but that didn't happen. If PC and his management team fail to address matters effectively, then unfortunately it may be time to move on.

Ryan77

Jan 3, 2015

I agree, it's hard to argue his track record.

Yes made some questionable trades but we were loosing Boychuck anyways next year to a big sum of money.

With seguin I wish he got more but in hindsight no one truly knows why seguin was traded. There are conflicting reports of what actually happened.

Personally I would have liked them to work with seguin and with our leadership group I would like to think he would have matured quickly.

That being said this is still a
Good team even this year. There have been bad stretches and there have been good stretches but

Still think

Looch krecji pasta
Marchand Bergy smith
Spooner soda loui
Paille kelly talbot

That's a strong forward group and I would love to see spooner kept on this roster in a scoring role.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
What exactly has he done that is any more than most teams' GMs?

He inherited a team with Bergy, Chara, Savard, Krejci, Marchand, Lucic, Thomas, Rask, no?

He signed Morris only to later trade for Seids.

Boychuk and Recchi trades were great.

Even if the Kaberle and Pevs trades were brutal value wise they did help get a Cup in Boston.

His drafting and contract extensions have overall been poor at best. Ditto for cap management.

He helped bring us a Cup but after the past few years I don't think he is the perfect GM we thought he was in 10/11.

Other teams can jump on him if they want. That doesn't mean anything about how good or valuable he is to us.

He deserves to be punished for his arrogance and overconfidence the past few years. I've wanted him gone since the Boychuk trade.

I'm glad he shaved that mustache before the deadline press conference at least!!

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
He might be brilliant but if he and the ownership/president have different philosophies then it doesn't matter.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
Consider for a moment the other GM discussed in the article. In complete tank mode for a team who has played 1 playoff series in the past decade and hasn't made the finals in 48 years.

Things could be far, far, worse.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
If he showed signs of cleaning the sheets and getting ready to make the bed again, then I would not be so harsh - but I get the feeling he put the sheets outside, shook them around and then put a 500 lb gorilla in bed.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
What exactly has he done that is any more than most teams' GMs?

He inherited a team with Bergy, Chara, Savard, Krejci, Marchand, Lucic, Thomas, Rask, no?

He signed Morris only to later trade for Seids.

Boychuk and Recchi trades were great.

Even if the Kaberle and Pevs trades were brutal value wise they did help get a Cup in Boston.

His drafting and contract extensions have overall been poor at best. Ditto for cap management.

He helped bring us a Cup but after the past few years I don't think he is the perfect GM we thought he was in 10/11.

Other teams can jump on him if they want. That doesn't mean anything about how good or valuable he is to us.

He deserves to be punished for his arrogance and overconfidence the past few years. I've wanted him gone since the Boychuk trade.

I'm glad he shaved that mustache before the deadline press conference at least!!

No. He signed Chara and Savard. Without Chara, this team never wins the Cup. Not in a million years. Set the tone for this team for a decade.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
This GM runs the organization like a fraternity and everyone is a brother. But Seguin not a good fit with the culture, strike one. No cut-throat side to Pete's personality, and he can't bring himself to depart from old friends, - see fourth line - but generous with handing out contract favors like cotton-candy. So he's upper-level of GM's, but still incomplete.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad