Dreger: Red Wings top contender for Stamkos (UPD-staying in TB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Whats the relationship between Illitch and Gilbert? Quicken Loans could get in on this, offer a sponsorship, have Lebron James call up Stamkos and tell him how Gilbert's such a cool guy, then Gilbert can parlay that into a favor from Illitch in helping him bring MLS to Detroit.

Get to it.

Really though, I think Stamkos is going to get nostalgic and hyped and end up signing with Toronto. Just don't see how we can compete at this point. :(

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
blatant cap circumvention. nice

would be really interesting if stamkos signs in toronto for low salary but makes it up in under the table endorsement money

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Illitch's gardener is randomly in the meeting with Shattenkirk and Jamie Benn. He randomly speculates that Little Caesars might give them both 10m/year endorsements if they sign for 3x7 with Detroit.

Totally legit since his gardener doesn't work for the club!

I will be so pissed if Toronto snatches him up.

Prepare to be pissed.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
If Toronto pulls that off it would top the cap circumvention of the Kovulchuck contract by far.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
It's not unfair what Toronto is doing. Any other team can do it, too, and Stamkos knows this. He clearly wants to go there.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's not unfair what Toronto is doing. Any other team can do it, too, and Stamkos knows this. He clearly wants to go there.

No any other team is not allowed to offer a player marketing money in lieu of salary.

Apparently they are allowed to collude with current sponsors to offer more money for signing with them though.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Can't wait for Stamkos to get Babcock fired. And Stamkos to demand a trade in a couple years when he can't take losing and the Toronto media.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

I am not sure you are correct, players get marketing deals but in place of salary that counts against the cap? I don't think so. I don't know of any other players that are getting 2 or 3 million less than market value in CAP salary that is made up for in a side deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad