Dreger: Red Wings top contender for Stamkos (UPD-staying in TB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I still think a 7-year, $10 million contract is a mistake and will hinder this team for years. I'd rather save that money than spend it on a guy who's already declining.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I still think a 7-year, $10 million contract is a mistake and will hinder this team for years. I'd rather save that money than spend it on a guy who's already declining.
Yup. I don't want him at that price.

Anyway, I want to state for the record that while it's titled "Red Wings top contender for Stamkos", Dreger doesn't actually say that in the clip. He also doesn't say Stamkos himself is leaning toward Detroit or anything like that. He's just saying he thinks Detroit really wants Stamkos and is willing to pay a lot per year.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
A 26 year old declining? Sweet jesus. I'd take a swing at a FREE franchise centre for 7 years when we just aint getting one any other way.

Suck up the $10M per and start being smarter with other contracts.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Okay I hate to be the positive one, because you all know me but:

#1 the Wings get a #1 center without giving up assets and that will be with the team only till 34. That's a win.

#2 The cap will continue the rise as oil prices restabilize and the CAD gains strength again. This year was pretty much the worst case. Add to that Canadian franchises bottomed out and the cap can only rise significantly over the life of the contract. And with each percentage rise, there is an inverse fall in how much Stamkos's contract is worth. By the end of it his hit could be equalivalent to a 7 million dollar cap hit today.

#3 The Wings need someone who can mentor Larkin. Who better than one of the premier centers in the league? They are close in age, and he will take a lot of pressure off of Larkin to produce in the near future allowing for him to have growing pains and work through them.

#4 It shows Holland is actually willing to make a bold move and will force him to make trades that are more forward thinking.

I really like this.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I've been against chasing Stamkos because I don't think a 10 million contract is something the Wings should be handing out at this point in time.. it will lead to a lot of cap trouble now, but most of all down the road when we have to give serious money to Larkin/Mrazek/Mantha/etc.

That said, part of me would also be excited if we signed him. It would obviously change the outlook for our team a lot. It could also force Holland to be more active in trying to move Ericsson and/or Howard.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Yeah, I don't mind. By the time Stamkos is 30/31, a lot of the bad contracts are gone and Hank is LTIR, probably under a $75M+ cap. I remember being blown away when Perry and Getzlaf got over $8M. Now it just looks like a modest overpay. I think it'll be the same when Stamkos hits that deal midway.

Also forces Holland to trim the fat and use the Chicago model instead of pissing away cap space on replaceable junk.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
10mil/year for 7 years isn't bad for Stamkos. It's free.

How much would a 1C that's so young even cost? They never even are available for trade! Well, let's just assume that one would be available for a trade at 7mil/year for 7 years and they would want a D back. You would trade what, 2 roster players(One of whom is someone like Mike Green), a high level prospect or two and probably 2 1st round draft picks.

Therefore, here's a question: Would you receive a career AHLer on a 7 year 21mil contract who will never play in NHL and can't be moved on the condition that you also received Mike Green, 2 first round draft picks, another roster player and 1-2 prospects?

And this isn't even taking into account how difficult it is to find a trade for a 1C in the first place.

spost

Oct 12, 2014

If it is all possible that we sign Stamkos - we should. There is no one on our depth chart that's going to fill in the void of Datsuyk or Zetterberg, even if they were declining.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Would love to see him here but I'll believe it when I see it. More likely Brouwer or Backes. More kenny's style

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Not sure why people are hesitant. Stamkos is 26 not 36. A max deal brings him to 33, which is probably just about the end of his prime.

I'll gladly give a 26 year old top 5 player in the world 10 million a year, especially since the cap continues to rise each year.

Look at it this way you'd be spending only $2.5m more on a prime Stamkos as we were spending on a 37 year old Datsyuk last year.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
those who dont want stamkos live in a fairy tale land whereby we land a legit NHL #1 center men, capable of putting up multiple 40 plus goal seasons and 70plus pts with what, the 9th or 10th OA pick, you know just like a rantanen will be doing for the Avs, nope...

if we tank properly we may get lucky and land a mcdavid or we spend 5 years drafting RNH's, yakupovs, halls and drasiltils(sp) and then spend another 5 years trying to buy more useful NHL players(#1 center, #1 dman)

spost

Oct 12, 2014
Not sure why people are hesitant. Stamkos is 26 not 36. A max deal brings him to 33, which is probably just about the end of his prime.

I'll gladly give a 26 year old top 5 player in the world 10 million a year, especially since the cap continues to rise each year.

Look at it this way you'd be spending only $2.5m more on a prime Stamkos as we were spending on a 37 year old Datsyuk last year.

More so, that's probably the only way to obtain such high calibre player.

That, and lucking out in the draft...

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007

Because people think they can land elite players through the draft and be Cup ready in five years. It's silly. And everyone starts penny pinching to a ridiculous degree when it comes to any contract. A $10 Stamkos is going to help this team far more than some $6 million supporting scorer. That's the new going rate for superstars, as set by Toews and Kane.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011

I don't think post-injury Stamkos is a top-5 center, let alone player.

He was playing the best and most complete hockey I've ever seen him play before the leg break, but hasn't looked the same since. Goal scorers tend to peak earlier, and he's never been known as a defensive stalwart.

WingedWheel1988

The Captain
Jan 29, 2013
Columbus, OH
Color me hyped.

#1 Center without having to trade away anything, hes only 26 - gives us an elite sniper that we really haven't had in awhile, and eases the pain of #13 leaving. Also gives us a little better look to other players considering destinations to play with a new arena and Stammer.

I don't think our cap situation is hindered too much, assuming we Kenny realizes he needs to ship out depleting assets instead of the country club style of resigning players past their best days, and start inserting players in the lineup on their cheaper contracts.

Plus, lets be honest - it would be the biggest signing we have had in FA since Hossa.. which was awhile ago at this point.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I don't think post-injury Stamkos is a top-5 center, let alone player.

He was playing the best and most complete hockey I've ever seen him play before the leg break, but hasn't looked the same since. Goal scorers tend to peak earlier, and he's never been known as a defensive stalwart.

If he were still a top 5 center, he probably wouldn't be hitting free agency. Who would that be? Crosby, Seguin, Malkin, Thornton, and Kopitar? Even a Stamkos that has lost a step is somewhere in that 10-15 area for centers.

Its definitely a risk with respect to the blood clot, but as far as the leg break goes, a full recovery takes 1.5 years...which would've been last month for Stamkos. So there's hope that he can train a hell of a lot more intensely this off-season than last.

Funny thing - if Tampa does lose Stamkos, it'll ultimately be because they can't finagle it cap wise. One has to wonder if they would give Stamkos a competitive offer if they didn't have Filppula and his unmoveable-without-retention/cap dump salary after a 31 point season. It would be amazing if letting Filppula walk ultimately leads to us landing Stamkos.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
It's a lot of cap.

That said, he's 26, and you gotta hop the cap starts rising in the coming years. Our offense is pretty young for the most part and it shouldn't be too hard to keep the major pieces together...guys like AA, Mantha, Larkin, etc. aren't going to be getting major caphits for some years to come. By that point we should be rid of some of those terrible contracts we have.

Our offense with Stamkos + the guys we have, assuming they come somewhat close to their potential, looks pretty good. You combine that with Mrazek and we're not in terrible shape. We still lack D, but we have assets to trade for some help and that help combined with the offense + goaltending HOPEFULLY makes us an attractive destination for some help through free agency in the coming years.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Do it, work out the particulars later.

Everyone was lauding Lou Lamoriello for that when he traded for Frederik Andersen, right?

If the Wings are top contenders and they will land Stamkos if they have that cap space free, get out and do it Kenny. And if you need to trade Howard or Ericsson or whoever in the future and take it up the tailpipe on value to do so, that's the price you pay.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Who will be the Parise who whispers in Stamkos' ear and tell him to go somewhere else?

Any one of the legends in Toronto.

Frk is right. We shouldn't get our hopes up. Stamkos isn't a pipe dream like some suggest, but I can't see us coming out on top either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad