TSN: Dreger on Andreas Johnsson's contract (hot take alert)

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
this is what happens when your GM gets schooled in contract negotiations, is anyone here really surprised this is happening? Give it another season and everyone will be thinking hiring Dubas was a big mistake.
You mean Nylander isn't worth $5 million more than A.J.?

My god I had trouble even typing that it's so stupid.

Reactions: rumman

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
See if a hard line is needed these are the guys you sacrifice.

AJ wants more. Fine. Have fun in Edmonton.

The core forwards right now are

Tavares. Marner
Matthews. Nylander.

With kadri and Hyman providing value at a reasonable. Rate. The rest are spare parts.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not to pick on AJ. And I get that these guys are professionals and that their careers are short, etc. I get that they want to maximize their earnings.

On the other hand, I feel like there should be more appreciation for the fact that this is a cap league and that squeezing every dollar out of management/ownership will only serve to weaken the team and reduce their chances to succeed. The pie is only so big.

Not to mention, shouldn't it mean something to play for a historic franchise on the upswing, surrounded by great players, and first-class everything?

But no, every decent player has to dig in for every dollar. It's frustrating, especially coming off yet another first round exit. We've accomplished nothing, yet everybody must get paid!

It's definitely easier to negotiate more affordable deals when you have established veterans and a pecking order to slot guys into whereas we are looking at a 12 month window where we are negotiating 3x massive ELC expiries and a Tavares signing.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
See if a hard line is needed these are the guys you sacrifice.

AJ wants more. Fine. Have fun in Edmonton.

The core forwards right now are

Tavares. Marner
Matthews. Nylander.

With kadri and Hyman providing value at a reasonable. Rate. The rest are spare parts.

I would make the argument that Kadri is no longer a reasonable rate, because if he's making $4.5 million giving you Johnsson/Kapanen production, then it becomes a debate about which one you'd rather have. Or maybe get rid of Kadri and pay the remaining pot to Kapanen and Johnsson.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Just want to remind everyone it started with the Tavares deal. Also for the only question in the OP it’s defiently “he got paid why shouldn’t I?”

Johnsson is not a player you NEED to overpay. Make an example and move on. Not convinced with him anyways

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Dubas is a moron for not using the amount of singing bonus the leafs can pay as leverage. If Matthews was going to take you to the cleaners you could have had some kind of self respect and not give him that kind of signing bonus. Same goes for Nylander. Handing out that kind of money up front should only be reserved for players that take a bit of a discount.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I would make the argument that Kadri is no longer a reasonable rate, because if he's making $4.5 million giving you Johnsson/Kapanen production, then it becomes a debate about which one you'd rather have. Or maybe get rid of Kadri and pay the remaining pot to Kapanen and Johnsson.

Maybe. They may decide that.
Or they may decide that Kadri gets more in a trade.....

I’m personally open to any of the options as long as the deal is good.

In a vacuum. I personally think the twins are 2-3 line tweeners. 25/25 wingers. Which had value but less than a 30’g C.

If they can trade Kadri and get a D and a cheap 3c option. I’m In.

canary

Jan 20, 2011
Toronto
I wonder how Johnsson will feel about playing in Phoenix or Edmonton.

I don't think Phoenix is that bad... sure the crowd sucks but you're living in a place with near-perfect weather, cheap real estate, low state tax, and you can play golf on great courses all year round.
Edmonton is a different story.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe. They may decide that.
Or they may decide that Kadri gets more in a trade.....

I’m personally open to any of the options as long as the deal is good.

In a vacuum. I personally think the twins are 2-3 line tweeners. 25/25 wingers. Which had value but less than a 30’g C.

If they can trade Kadri and get a D and a cheap 3c option. I’m In.

Agreed. The key is to just get the most value back for your assets and not lose out on the exchange rate. That's why I wouldn't even mind if we got a package of picks and prospects for Kadri to have the most flexibility.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Dubas is a moron for not using the amount of singing bonus the leafs can pay as leverage. If Matthews was going to take you to the cleaners you could have had some kind of self respect and not give him that kind of signing bonus. Same goes for Nylander. Handing out that kind of money up front should only be reserved for players that take a bit of a discount.

But it’s not just for that. Look at Z. Imagine we front loaded him like willy.
He could be making 2.5’a year. We could have bought him out or traded him.

Front loading doesn’t cause a huge cap discount. Tax free singing bonuses do

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I don't think Phoenix is that bad... sure the crowd sucks but you're living in a place with near-perfect weather, cheap real estate, low state tax, and you can play golf on great courses all year round.
Edmonton is a different story.
They almost destroyed Stromes career.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Done for trade

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I think Johnsson could easily outscore Kadri, especially if he takes his spot on PP1, which he probably should since Kadri was awful there this year and Johnsson was much better.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The Overdrive panel discussed Dreger's insider information on Johnsson and his contract.

Johnsson was allegedly offered a contract around the time of the trade deadline: "2.2 million on a 2 year deal, and 2.6 million on a 4 year deal. He declined."

Hayes' hot take was this: "It's really starting to concern me here. I feel like every player on this team feels that they can take this front office for a dance. 2 years at 2.1 and you couldn't lock that down? How difficult is it to sign Andreas Johnsson!? If this player is somewhere else in the league then that gets done. I can't figure out if it's Dubas and company can't convince these guys to take the deals, or players feel like 'if that guy is getting paid then I'm getting paid',or my agent can get the deal and pressure you. What is it about the maple leafs that differentiate themselves from everyone else in the league?!"

Anyway, an interesting discussion about the leafs and the Johnsson contract .

Dubas is not going to have an easy go this offseason.

Two words: William Nylander.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Nylander yes. Matthews and Tavares no.
Trading Nylander and keeping guys like Johnsson and Kapanen is the equivalent of when Ottawa was trading guys like Hossa to keep guys like Fisher.

You build around your stars not your role players.

Reactions: Crysis

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Given Brown's contract how can you pay AJ that? I think 3x3 is fair for each of AJ and Kapanen.

Waste of space Brown...
Waste of space and CAP space Marleau.
Sparks will cost us futures cause he isnt an NHL goalie.

Meanwhile Mcbackup just won Carolina Gm2. In Rd2.

And we cant even rest freddy.............

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad