TSN: Dreger on Andreas Johnsson's contract (hot take alert)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Fully agree.

Imagine this was like any other team, and we had an elite young core that our gm was able to sign for fair market value.

These contracts will CRIPPLE this team going forward. It's just so painfully obvious.

Was easy to predict. The little group of us called it correct when the Nylander deal went the way it did.

Dubas was way over his head

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Given Brown's contract how can you pay AJ that? I think 3x3 is fair for each of AJ and Kapanen.

Brown signed his deal coming off his 20 goal rookie season too. I think 2.5 -3 over 2-3 years is probably the proper ballpark. Similar to Ondrej Kase.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Kappy and Johnsson rode shotgun to a franchise center all year and couldn't even break 50 points, they would've had even less if Babs used his brain and put them both with Kadri and had Nylander with Matthews. Bracco is ready, that Russian kid might be a Leaf soon, trade them for picks.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Kappy and Johnsson rode shotgun to a franchise center all year and couldn't even break 50 points, they would've had even less if Babs used his brain and put them both with Kadri and had Nylander with Matthews. Bracco is ready, that Russian kid might be a Leaf soon, trade them for picks.
Or for Pesce.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Guys are starting to price themselves out of town. Sorry you were last to the trough. Not as much pie left.

Reactions: kb

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Probably pretty good if it's $4 million instead of $2. Hell, he might even play with McDavid, in which case he will feel exceptional.
He could, or he could fade away and let those respective franchises ruin his future earnings like many before him.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
AJ and his agent made a bad decision.

Dubas has to show he has the stones to make bold decisions.

Even though AJ has arb rights Dubas would be better off letting another GM negotiate with AJ.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Not to pick on AJ. And I get that these guys are professionals and that their careers are short, etc. I get that they want to maximize their earnings.

On the other hand, I feel like there should be more appreciation for the fact that this is a cap league and that squeezing every dollar out of management/ownership will only serve to weaken the team and reduce their chances to succeed. The pie is only so big.

Not to mention, shouldn't it mean something to play for a historic franchise on the upswing, surrounded by great players, and first-class everything?

But no, every decent player has to dig in for every dollar. It's frustrating, especially coming off yet another first round exit. We've accomplished nothing, yet everybody must get paid!

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Dubas puts the pie in front of the players and says take what you think you deserve.
Petan Gauthier Moore Ennis Rosen Borgman Oz Holl.

The star players getting paid, the support players not.

Leafs27

Ceci n'est pas un joueur de hockey.
Mar 13, 2007
Kingston, ON
Contracts in sports just sicken me, in general. You play a game for your own enjoyment / others' entertainment. In what world is something like $6M per year, to do that, not enough? Most people would never see that amount of money in a lifetime.

Really don't like where this is headed if other players are going to pull the same Nylander BS.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Contracts in sports just sicken me, in general. You play a game for your own enjoyment / others' entertainment. In what world is something like $6M per year, to do that, not enough? Most people would never see that amount of money in a lifetime.

Really don't like where this is headed if other players are going to pull the same Nylander BS.

Agents smell blood in the water. Dubas is fresh meat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad