Olympics: Dreger: NHL players will not participate in 2018 Winter Olympics [NHL says undecided]

Status
Not open for further replies.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
The political and social setups that made it successful no longer exist that supported the Canada Cup.

The World Cup was nothing more than an NHL glory tournament that meant nothing to the fans.

The same can be said to those who are trying to use 1980 as proof that the Olympics helps grow the game. 1980 had college kids and fringe NHLers playing a national team that had played together for years, played together during their regular season, and came over and beat the NHL teams. This is not what is happening right now. Plus, the political/world climate was completely different. The whole us (capitalist world) vs them (communist) was a big part of the victory.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Well the problem is timing more or less. Olympics games are usually held during the time of year when they have only NBA of other major sports league to compete with. So I imagine this is the time when they make most of their money (at least those teams that are in smaller market areas and those that don't make into playoffs). Also the possible injuries this time of year hurt the most because playoffs so fairly close.
No, the league makes most of its money during the play-offs. It is more about getting media attention and a VERY modest bump in ratings since there are less options when people are looking to watch sports on tv.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
For everyone complaining on here about the thought of the NHL pulling out of the Olympics, there are just as many NHL fans who want nothing to do with shutting the season down for 2 1/2 weeks. Secondly, anyone complaining about the NHL being greedy, I have 2 questions. 1) Were you accusing the players of being greedy during the lockout? 2) Isn't the IOC just as greedy? Why do you think they finally agreed to allow the NHLers play in 1998. They realized that after the fall of communism, there was very little interest in the mens hockey tournament in 92 and 94.

Wien

Feb 15, 2014
The Stanley Cup is more important than an Olympic medal.

Ask the players. As a North American who happily escaped from your magic-mushroom "Homeland", I've learned the opposite is true, and that takes nothing away from the legitimate honor of winning the Stanley Cup.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Do people realize that hockey is still in the Olympics without NHLers? The Miracle on Ice was without NHLers, Forsberg's goal was without NHLers.

The sport still gets the bump from the Olympics and people will want to watch the world's best league if they fall in love with the sport afterwards.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Do people realize that hockey is still in the Olympics without NHLers? The Miracle on Ice was without NHLers, Forsberg's goal was without NHLers.

The sport still gets the bump from the Olympics and people will want to watch the world's best league if they fall in love with the sport afterwards.

There was very little interest in the tournament in 92 and 94 after communism fell. 1980 was completely different. The us vs them idea was not really there like it was back in 80. The IOC realized this and opened the 98 games to NHLers and other professionals. And, there is absolutely no evidence that the Olympics have caused increased interest in the NHL

zamo86*

Many NHL players will probably go to the 2018 Olympics with or without the league's permission. Would be interesting what the league would do in case the Euro starts would simply left the league for two weeks. I am sure guys the Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Kopitar.. would "take a break" during this season in case NHL and IIHF wouldnt come to an arrangement for Sochi.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
There was very little interest in the tournament in 92 and 94 after communism fell. 1980 was completely different. The us vs them idea was not really there like it was back in 80. The IOC realized this and opened the 98 games to NHLers and other professionals. And, there is absolutely no evidence that the Olympics have caused increased interest in the NHL

It's two weeks of non-stop free publicity in venues that the NHL never, ever reaches otherwise. The fact that there's no evidence of it causing increased interest in the NHL suggests to me that the NHL should try to be proactive in translating these olympic fans to the NHL. Instead they sit on their hands and then whine about the how they're not sure they want to go next time.

Hockey is never the sport on every American's tongues except during the Olympics. Hockey is never covered in any depth in the mainstream media except during the Olympics. I bet that the NHL could bring some of these viewers around to the league if they tried. Run an ad campaign that relates back to the Olympics and see what happens. Being unable to take advantage of free publicity is a slight on the NHL, not the Olympics.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
It's two weeks of non-stop free publicity in venues that the NHL never, ever reaches otherwise. The fact that there's no evidence of it causing increased interest in the NHL suggests to me that the NHL should try to be proactive in translating these olympic fans to the NHL. Instead they sit on their hands and then whine about the how they're not sure they want to go next time.

Hockey is never the sport on every American's tongues except during the Olympics. Hockey is never covered in any depth in the mainstream media except during the Olympics. I bet that the NHL could bring some of these viewers around to the league if they tried. Run an ad campaign that relates back to the Olympics and see what happens. Being unable to take advantage of free publicity is a slight on the NHL, not the Olympics.

The problem is that it's "free publicity" for the game of hockey, but not for the NHL or any other league. Unless you're actively looking at a roster/program, there's nothing to identify what league a player is from because that's not what the Olympics are about.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The problem is that it's "free publicity" for the game of hockey, but not for the NHL or any other league. Unless you're actively looking at a roster/program, there's nothing to identify what league a player is from because that's not what the Olympics are about.

Hockey is the NHL's product. In many cases, hockey played by these specific players is the NHL's product. The Olympics give the NHL exactly what they need in America by inserting the sport, and the NHL's players in most cases, into the national conversation. The NHL is a business that needs to put in an effort to build a brand and market itself like any other. The Olympics give them access to a market that they covet but that they don't otherwise have access to, and it costs them nothing.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
We will never see games like the one we just witnessed if not for the Olympics... That was truly amazing to see.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Maybe not directly, but it benefits the NHL long term. The 1980 games did more to grow the sport in America than just about anything. Are you going to tell me that the NHL didn't benefit from that?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Hockey is the NHL's product. In many cases, hockey played by these specific players is the NHL's product. The Olympics give the NHL exactly what they need in America by inserting the sport, and the NHL's players in most cases, into the national conversation. The NHL is a business that needs to put in an effort to build a brand and market itself like any other. The Olympics give them access to a market that they covet but that they don't otherwise have access to, and it costs them nothing.

It's up to NBC to promote the league they have broadcasting rights to. If the NHL isn't getting promoted enough, they have to take it up with NBC, not the IOC.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Maybe not directly, but it benefits the NHL long term. The 1980 games did more to grow the sport in America than just about anything. Are you going to tell me that the NHL didn't benefit from that?

Absolutely. It makes no sense for the NHL to keep players out of the Olympics. There is no way NBC is not going to put up a fight over this.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Re. bolded part...It should maybe read "In the USA there was little interest...".

In the corner of the world I come from (my guess is that it was the same for the rest of Europe), fans were always excited to see the Olympic games come along as all of a sudden you'd be able to see top players & teams that you'd seldom see. On top of that, Olympic games have always been a very prestigious sport event. So, 1992 + 1994 was no different from any other OG. At the end of the day, what mattered to hockey fans here was ... hockey.
Here, even the 1980 OG (which I remember very well) final outcome was very special not because of communism vs. capitalism, but because it was considered a total underdog victory.

Saying that the IOC opened the game to NHLers because they were trying to remedy the lack of interest due to the fall of communism, is just pure & very far fetched speculation. The most likely scenario I can think of, is that having NHLers at the OG would further improve hockey & revenue for the OG.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Just so you know, this will never happen, other than possibly the NHL players not going part.

Not only are most of the athletes in the Olympics not "amateurs" already, but there's no way any sport that uses professionals (most of them) would consider a retrograde move such as that.

If the NHL stops participating, teams will simply consist mostly of professional players in the European leagues.

Which I'm more than happy with. It's sad that Sidney Crosby makes more than the whole Latvian team combined.

There is absolutely no way any other athlete in any other sport makes the same money as the NHL players do.

I understand where the NHL is coming from. Being an NHL fan I'd rather the Olympics not shut down the NHL season.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
isn't the NHL trying to revive it's own 'world cup' best on best to be played at the start of the NHL training camp? if it happens, pros at the Olympics is dead

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Which I'm more than happy with. It's sad that Sidney Crosby makes more than the whole Latvian team combined.

There is absolutely no way any other athlete in any other sport makes the same money as the NHL players do.

I understand where the NHL is coming from. Being an NHL fan I'd rather the Olympics not shut down the NHL season.

Are you not aware of the NFL, MLB, and NBA? Of the four major North American sports leagues, the NHL's star players are the lowest paid by far. A few examples:

Peyton Manning (NFL) signed a 5-year, $96-million contract in 2012.

The first year of Manning's deal with the Broncos will pay the quarterback $18 million without injury protection for the Denver Broncos, according to Brandt. The Broncos will then pay Manning $40 million guaranteed for the next two seasons, pending Manning passing a physical in March of 2013. The final two seasons of Manning's deal will pay out $19 million each season.

Robinson Cano (MLB) signed a 10-year, $240-million contract just a few months ago.

All-Star second baseman Robinson Cano and the Seattle Mariners finalized their US$240-million, 10-year contract that was agreed upon late last week.

The deal, which is tied for the fourth largest contract in major league history, was completed Thursday after Cano passed his physical.

Lebron James (NBA) is currently on a 6-year, $109-million contract that he signed in 2010.

Meanwhile, Crosby's "insane" contract is longer and cheaper (AAV) than any of those at 12-years, $104-million. He's earning ~$10-million per year less than James, ~$11-million per year less than Manning, and ~$16-million per year less than Cano.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...vent-in-nbc-sports-live-extra-history/238487/

STAMFORD, Conn. – February 19, 2014 – Wednesday’s “TV Everywhere†authenticated live stream of the men’s ice hockey quarterfinal game between the United States and the Czech Republic, which Team USA won 5-2, generated nearly 800,000 unique users (798,337) the most for any Olympics event in NBC Sports Live Extra history and trailing only the non-authenticated Super Bowl XLVI (2.1 million uniques) for NBC Sports Group’s most-streamed sports event overall. The previous Olympic record was 682,806 uniques for the U.S.-Japan women’s soccer final at the 2012 London Games. Interest in the U.S.-Czech Republic hockey game was such that some schools in the U.S. showed the NBCOlympics.com stream of the game as part of “Indoor Recess†for students.

NHL would be stupid to throw away the marketing possibilities (of their US players) the Olympics present.

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
Many NHL players will probably go to the 2018 Olympics with or without the league's permission. Would be interesting what the league would do in case the Euro starts would simply left the league for two weeks. I am sure guys the Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Kopitar.. would "take a break" during this season in case NHL and IIHF wouldnt come to an arrangement for Sochi.

yeah, ovechkin and malkin will be in a hurry to get to korea:laugh::laugh:

Do you know how contracts work?

smurfyeah19

Feb 3, 2012
I can see how this will be thought of almost as the forgotten tournament. That time difference is terrible, most games will be started at 3 or 6 AM EST so few if any will watch the games here in North America. Why would the NHL send its players to a tournament that won't be seen by the people it generates its revenue from

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad