Olympics: Dreger: NHL players will not participate in 2018 Winter Olympics [NHL says undecided]

Status
Not open for further replies.

goawaygary*

You're going to see star players start to negotiate "Olympic clauses" into contracts that run through 2018, which will grant them the ability to participate

DyerMaker66*

This is not at all a shock. It's not like there is any type of hockey market anywhere around there.

But doesn't Buttman want to "grow the game"? I mean, that's the reason there's a team in Phoenix, right?

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Go back to having the amateurs play in the Olympics.

Then just bring back the World Cup.

Issue resolved.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
There is no guarantee that this is true yet. Similar things were said about 2014, and look what happened. Obviously going to South Korea is not the same as Russia, but wait for the NHL to officially give a stance before believing this.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
The NHL talks about the lack of direct money, but they're stupid if they don't realize how much the Olympics grows the game. How many new fans were created in 2010 when 35 MILLION people here watched the classic gold medal game? How many of those fans now watch and buy merchandise from the NHL? Obviously there's lots of time until 2018 and many turns can be taken, but the NHL would be really boneheaded to turn its athletes away.

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
If you really want to compare a city in the U.S. to South Korea, be my guess.

Okay, let's take a look at Seoul.

Metro population of 25 million people. Winter actually exists. The shear novelty of a hockey game would attract more patrons then Glendale.

Now you tell me why Glendale is a better hockey market then Seoul.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
This is music to my ears. I am willing to bet that what ED spouted off about is also felt by many owners and players like.

crederer

Feb 12, 2007
Go back to having the amateurs play in the Olympics.

Then just bring back the World Cup.

Issue resolved.

What would be considered amateur, though? AHL, or any of the European leagues? Cause otherwise you're just going to be looking at world junior tourney's.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Who cares when it's not best on best? Just means they'll start doing the World Cup which will mean more anyways.

I personally couldn't care less about the World Cup. One reason is that team Russia never gets to play a game on its own soil

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
What would be considered amateur, though? AHL, or any of the European leagues? Cause otherwise you're just going to be looking at world junior tourney's.

It's going to be every league except the NHL. KHL, SEL, NCAA etc... the whole amateur idea is long dead. Thank god.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I personally couldn't care less about the World Cup. One reason is that team Russia never gets to play a game on its own soil

Who knows now that Russia is stable, I could easily see the World Cup going to Russia. Especially if the NHL wants to try and get the KHL on board.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Good, we'll have a decent schedule and not lose 2-3 weeks of play that year.
I want my players focusing on bringing a Cup to Ottawa...

Eactly. The Stanley Cup is more important than an Olympic medal. I really have no use for the Olympic hockey tourney other than the womens. I would rather watch the NHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad