Speculation: Dreger: Most Think Ulf is Next Carolina Head Coach (Edit: Not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregNYR19

agitator
Oct 26, 2007
Fair Lawn, NJ
twitter.com
The douchy move would be to consider going to Pittsburgh from the Rangers as a coach. That's wrong.

now that we know he isn't going to carolina, I'm not sure why this is a douchy move. its a business. id do it in a heartbeat going from an assistant to a head coach. I'm sure if the terms are right and the price, with a team like they have in pittsburgh, it would be an easy decision. from a fans perspective its a douchy move, but anyone in their right mind would do it.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Ulf did play in Pittsburgh for almost 5 years. He is very good buddies with owner. EJ Hradek brought up a good point on the Peters hire. How much money is Carolina paying Peters? Ulf is better off waiting for a better opportunity. Maybe its Pittsburgh or its another team next spring. A few weeks ago,McKenzie brought up the Canes finances being a reason why Samuelsson might not take the job. Budget team. Spending between the floor and midpoint.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Ulf did play in Pittsburgh for almost 5 years. He is very good buddies with owner. EJ Hradek brought up a good point on the Peters hire. How much money is Carolina paying Peters? Ulf is better off waiting for a better opportunity. Maybe its Pittsburgh or its another team next spring. A few weeks ago,McKenzie brought up the Canes finances being a reason why Samuelsson might not take the job. Budget team. Spending between the floor and midpoint.
Is he that hot of a prospect that he can just wait for a better coaching opportunity?

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
Pittsburgh really needs an older experienced coach or else it's going to be more of the same with the inmates running the asylum.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Rutherford doesn't know what he wants.

Does he want a young guy or a veteran? Does he go outside the organization of stay within?

He hasn't interviewed Renney or Keenan. He has interviewed their SWB coach Hynes, and Marc Crawford who is a turdbag.

My gut tells me their going with Hynes. They handed the job to Desjardins (AHL) and Bylsma was the SWB coach when Therrien was Fired. Mario made that call.

Rutherford also offered positions in the organization to Brindamour and Tocchet.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Rutherford doesn't know what he wants.

Does he want a young guy or a veteran? Does he go outside the organization of stay within?

He hasn't interviewed Renney or Keenan. He has interviewed their SWB coach Hynes, and Marc Crawford who is a turdbag.

My gut tells me their going with Hynes. They handed the job to Desjardins (AHL) and Bylsma was the SWB coach when Therrien was Fired. Mario made that call.

Rutherford also offered positions in the organization to Brindamour and Tocchet.

It seems you haven't been keeping up to date of late :laugh:

Rutherford isn't the GM in Carolina any more. He resigned and Ron Francis took over.
Francis hired Bill Peters 2 days ago to be the coach.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
It seems you haven't been keeping up to date of late :laugh:

Rutherford isn't the GM in Carolina any more. He resigned and Ron Francis took over.
Francis hired Bill Peters 2 days ago to be the coach.

He is talking about the Pens, Rutherford is the gm now.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
He better not go to a division rival. I think Slats wouldn't let him out of his contract to coach there????

Sather has never prevented an assistant from interviewing for a higher level job (at least not that I can remember). It's been clear for a while that Samuelsson has been aiming to become a NHL head coach. I'm sure he would have never agreed to come here as an assistant if he would be prevented from interviewing for a job as head coach of another team. Especially since AV signed a 5 year deal.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Did he turn it down? At this stage in his coaching career the better place to must be in contending team rather than in Carolina where his team will have trouble to make the playoffs

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Did he turn it down? At this stage in his coaching career the better place to must be in contending team rather than in Carolina where his team will have trouble to make the playoffs

There are only 30 NHL positions available. Why would Samuelsson go to the interview if he wasn't going to take the job? Given the limited number of positions available he might never get another offer again.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
There are only 30 NHL positions available. Why would Samuelsson go to the interview if he wasn't going to take the job? Given the limited number of positions available he might never get another offer again.

A couple of coaches gets canned every season, so it things goes right here he would probably have some options how about if he's the one getting fired after two years?

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Can teams ask for compensation if they allow a guy out of his contract to coach elsewhere ?
I would hate to see guys go back into our division and work against us .

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
A couple of coaches gets canned every season, so it things goes right here he would probably have some options how about if he's the one getting fired after two years?

Ultimately, every coach gets fired (except maybe Scotty Bowman). I don't think Samuelsson turned down an offer (if he did, we would have heard about it--just like the Pittsburgh situation).

And if you read the article below, it makes a place like Carolina sound like a good place to start a coaching career--there's no place to go but up for them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/back-t...er-rejection-by-desjardins-001227895-nhl.html

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
Ultimately, every coach gets fired (except maybe Scotty Bowman). I don't think Samuelsson turned down an offer (if he did, we would have heard about it--just like the Pittsburgh situation).

And if you read the article below, it makes a place like Carolina sound like a good place to start a coaching career--there's no place to go but up for them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/back-t...er-rejection-by-desjardins-001227895-nhl.html

And it confirms that Pittsburgh is an awful place to do so. Unless you like being Sid and Geno's ***** that is.

Desjardins reportedly headed off to become the coach of the Vancouver Canucks. Matthew Sekeres of Team 1040 AM in Vancouver reported that the Penguins offered Desjardins only a two-year deal with no authority to hire his assistants. Desjardins is from Western Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad