Rumor: Dreger: Calgary previously inquired about Josh Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Julien Mackenzie was on last night, said where Flames older team, contract up for Treliving, need make playoffs. He may be all in and go for a Meier. But contracts next year stops him
And now here's what the actual GM says:

"We're not sitting here saying, 'OK, we're in a real solid position to add to the team,'" Treliving said. "We'd like to help. There's certainly some areas we need to improve, but the question always is to improve those areas, there's a cost associated with it. How much do we want to be spending when you're not solidly in a playoff position?

Adding a top-nine forward was a priority in training camp. Has that list changed at all or have you changed your perspective as to what this team needs?

"I'm not going to go too detailed into what we think we could need or what not. I think we could certainly use another forward. Now, as I said at that time too, people think that's coming from outside the organization. That might be coming from the inside. We've got some people within the organization that have had some good years in the [American Hockey League], we've seen (forward Jakob) Pelletier now. You do a little bit of internal auditing to see what you have internally. Can that come from within? I think our group could use another forward. Is there other pieces we'd like to tweak? Sure. It's all sort of wrapped up in the same question in 'how far can you chase this' where we're currently at right now. The important thing for us to be mindful of is just coming and playing good hockey after the break here, putting ourselves in a better position, and I know this team's capable of doing it. We've seen it throughout the year. We've seen it in stretches. We're capable of playing well, but we certainly need to do that."

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
If Calgary really likes Anderson, what if they did more of a hockey trade. Like for Mangiapane. 1 for 1.

For Montreal, I'd imagine Mangiapane would be a much better and valuable asset to trade because he has only 2 years left after this one vs Anderson's 4. This means it would be a lot easier to retain some of it too.

I could see that happening. Depends on what kind of other offers they get on Anderson though.
Why would they do that? The difference between Anderson and Mangiapane is negligible. It doesn’t make the Flames a better team. Maybe Sutter really does love Anderson that much, but I can’t see why he would. Is he a decent player yes. Does he move the needle for a mediocre, borderline playoff team with no cap space? No.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Julien Mackenzie was on last night, said where Flames older team, contract up for Treliving, need make playoffs. He may be all in and go for a Meier. But contracts next year stops him
Yes that’s the problem. There is absolutely no cap space next year. In fact they may need to dump someone next season just to get under the cap.

They rolled the dice (ok in fairness they got screwed over a bit by Gaudreau and Tkachuk), went all-in and lost. Now they have to deal with the consequences. They’re going to be a mediocre-to-bad team for a very long time and don’t have the flexibility to be a deadline acquirer.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I’ve never seen a worse player on a worse contract get brought up in trades so often. No one wants him.
Meanwhile we have Drouin at 5.5 doing much less even when healthy. I disagree that no one wants him, as the habs have been reported as turning down a first for him.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Anderson isnt a bad player hes just very incosistent WHEN he decides to show up he actually does make a big difference on the ice but the problem is that he rarely does

If Habs are getting offers for him that involves a 1st round pick Hughes should pull the trigger

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yes that’s the problem. There is absolutely no cap space next year. In fact they may need to dump someone next season just to get under the cap.

They rolled the dice (ok in fairness they got screwed over a bit by Gaudreau and Tkachuk), went all-in and lost. Now they have to deal with the consequences. They’re going to be a mediocre-to-bad team for a very long time and don’t have the flexibility to be a deadline acquirer.
Treliving must be awful short sighted to do that. I can't believe he would get himself in a mess like that. With no way out.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Treliving must be awful short sighted to do that. I can't believe he would get himself in a mess like that. With no way out.
Well he has no contract after this year, so honestly there’s not much of a downside for him. I don’t expect he’ll be back with the Flames but you never know.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Well he has no contract after this year, so honestly there’s not much of a downside for him. I don’t expect he’ll be back with the Flames but you never know.
You guys could used Anderson last night. Not hard to see why Sutter wants guy like that. You guys soft.

I think Habs end up keeping him. They have lot of small young players. Unless Montreal gets blown away with offer

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
You guys could used Anderson last night. Not hard to see why Sutter wants guy like that. You guys soft.

I think Habs end up keeping him. They have lot of small young players. Unless Montreal gets blown away with offer
I’m more of a Leafs fan than a Flames fan at this point.

I grew up a Flames fan so I still follow them, but I’ve lived in Toronto for decades. I can’t stay up late enough to watch the Flames any more, but they’re still my favourite Western team.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
He scored 20 goals once 4-5 years ago
He scored 27 that year actually, has 19 twice (in 69 and 63 games), 17 in 56, 14 this year in 49 and has 115 in 437, for a 21G average over 82.

So ya, he is a 20g scorer by any reasonable definition, or if it makes you feel better we can call him a 19G guy that scores at a 21G pace? Ohhh, got one, how about a 19g guy that scores at a 21.57 / 82 pace with 27g upside?

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
With the arrival of Pezzetta and Xhekaj, Anderson has forgotten what made him successful. He barely hits anyone anymore - he thinks he's a skill player. However, outside of a powerful wrister (with questionable accuracy), he can't do a whole lot offensively (lack of vision/awareness/stickhandling).

I loved in during his first year because of the total package. There's no longer a package. It's simply a shot and speed.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I’m more of a Leafs fan than a Flames fan at this point.

I grew up a Flames fan so I still follow them, but I’ve lived in Toronto for decades. I can’t stay up late enough to watch the Flames any more, but they’re still my favourite Western team.
Right on, what you move to Toronto for work? I can't believe Treliving gave those contracts out without taking a look how those players fit in his team. No brainer, if they not right fit could move at deadline for a ton. If they right players for Flames sign them. If they refuse to sign, 10.5 million going to bring you hell of good assets in summer. Treliving had nothing to lose. He's gone and wreck team next 5 years this way.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
He scored 27 that year actually, has 19 twice (in 69 and 63 games), 17 in 56, 14 this year in 49 and has 115 in 437, for a 21G average over 82.

So ya, he is a 20g scorer by any reasonable definition, or if it makes you feel better we can call him a 19G guy that scores at a 21G pace? Ohhh, got one, how about a 19g guy that scores at a 21.57 / 82 pace with 27g upside?
How many times in his career has he scored 20 goals in a season?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I can't believe this discussion is still going. Even if Anderson were a better player than he is, there still wouldn't be cap room in the long run. Getting Anderson means getting rid of a good player in the short term, for Calgary.

To make this possible cap-wise for Calgary, they'd have to ship out a pretty good player. (Tanev?)
To make the trade worthwhile for Montreal, you'd need something significant, and Calgary is already having to give up a good player so the marginal improvement wouldn't be worth the risk to chemistry.

I've said it before though, if ever Anderson goes to Calgary, it's a massive fail for HF since no one has been able to propose anything that fanbases on both sides can grudgingly find tolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad