TSN Radio Dreger: Bodie, Kulemin, McClement, Ranger and Raymond all likely gone.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not really surprised by this.
I didn't mind Bodie but won't miss him or the others.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Or maybe he's trying to build a team properly and stand pat and pick at 8. You should be able to build a team with draft picks, regardless of where you're picking in the first round. All those UFA's (Raymond,Kulemin,Mcclement,Bolland,Bodie) walk on July 1st so we can play some players from the Marlies (Ashton,Damigo,Holland). Just take a slow approach, develop our own guys and we should be good in a few years

That's pretty optomistic I'd say. None of our prospects capable of stepping into the NHL in the next couple years are likely to make an impact. They just aren't likely going t to be impact players.

This team needs an overhaul. Sadly, we aren't going to get it.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Dave Poulin was asked if 4-6 marlies could be looking at NHL jobs next year and he kinda smiled and said ya its definitely possible and then went on to explain how rare it is for a team with as many of its key players being on entry level deals go so deep in the playoffs.

He also said something about easing players in such as the likes of D'Amigo who got 22 games in this year, and then next year would probably be more of a stepping stone for him to get more games in. Didn't sound like he was sold on D'Amigo getting a spot out of the gate (as far as I understood it) - and if he's not penciled into a lineup I don't know who would be from the Marlies.

I think it's more likely they let these guys go and sign other UFAs to fill the gaps, probably more veteran guys in the bottom-six with a select few Marlies fighting for a spot or two.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That's pretty optomistic I'd say. None of our prospects capable of stepping into the NHL in the next couple years are likely to make an impact. They just aren't likely going t to be impact players.

I think we may see a mini one today.

Lupul and Dion look like they could be gone. You're looking at Kules Bolland and a bunch likely gone. For all we know Clarkson could be in play. I mean say we end up with 3 1st rounders in the top 15, that's pretty amazing really.

To get 3 1sts will fix the AHL development program. Then we need a couple FA on 5yr terms and let the kids develop. When Rielly is 25-26 that's when we will be our best.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Sucks that we are once again losing some serviceable players for nothing. To bad we couldn't have traded some of them off at the deadline and got some picks and prospects back. Leafs have terrible asset management.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
He also said something about easing players in such as the likes of D'Amigo who got 22 games in this year, and then next year would probably be more of a stepping stone for him to get more games in. Didn't sound like he was sold on D'Amigo getting a spot out of the gate (as far as I understood it) - and if he's not penciled into a lineup I don't know who would be from the Marlies.

I think it's more likely they let these guys go and sign other UFAs to fill the gaps, probably more veteran guys in the bottom-six with a select few Marlies fighting for a spot or two.

D'Amigo got a raw deal last year! I'm happy to see him get games over the rest of those guys; except maybe Bodie.

I thought D'Amigo was one of the hardest working guys and was playing great in replace of Clarkson then the "powers-to-be" just vanished him never to be seen again.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
D'Amigo got a raw deal last year! I'm happy to see him get games over the rest of those guys; except maybe Bodie.

I thought D'Amigo was one of the hardest working guys and was playing great in replace of Clarkson then the "powers-to-be" just vanished him never to be seen again.

I hope we can move Clarkson, retaining 1m is so worth it its not even funny.

WhatASaveDave

Feb 3, 2010
toronto ontario

It's a start to let our top Marlies graduates to play in bottom 6 roles as cheaper options compared to re signing vets such as Bolland, Raymond, Kulemin, Bodie and Brennan right? If we do continue to succeed in the American League Level, we should keep promoting the prospects whom have served their time in the AHL, as they become ready. In terms of impact players, Kadri, Rielly and Gardiner are still young, in a few years if we keep developing them, they can potentially be impact players

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
This is just amazing news. You don't keep dead weight. Thats something this organization continually does. Hopefully this is a new beginning

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Don't be surprised if names like Steve Ott, Shawn Thornton, Daniel Winnik etc are potential names that appear as UFA additions to fill holes of the departed.

I believe some veteran presence with leadership and grit will be targets.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Bodie and Ranger should be re-signed. They would be a bargain for the effort they put in. These are the heart and soul players the Leafs need. Bye, bye to the rest.

I'd also keep Kulemin and Bolland if they didn't want too much, but they do.

I'd lay odds that Kulemin is playing with Malkin next season and Bolland will land in Vancouver.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Don't be surprised if names like Steve Ott, Shawn Thornton, Daniel Winnik etc are potential names that appear as UFA additions to fill holes of the departed.

I believe some veteran presence with leadership and grit will be targets.

Would like all 3, can't see Ott signing while Gleason is here though.

LeafsFIO*

Bodie's leaving makes me think it's a bigger thing. Probably because Leiweke is upset in Toronto and is planning on leaving instantly, so his son-in-law is getting outta dodge early while he's at it :nod:

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I agree and it seems we need more players like them not fewer.

out of everyone on our bottom 6 the player i would most like back is kulemin. it looks unlikely but i think if we are going to slightly overpay someone, it should b someone who is homegrown and who we developed. kulemin also can play 2nd line or 3rd line, play a little center if needed and he has solid hustle. im not sure if he is worth $4 million+ but id definitely give him $3.5ish + term.

it will be interesting to see what nonis does as our entire bottom 6 are free agents minus orr who i pray wont be back. id have to think that damigo, holland, and ashton will all be with the leafs. i cant understand why they wouldnt.

i dont understand why bodie wouldnt be resigned? i thought he did great in a 4th lne capacity. im not sure if we are necessarily going to get better for ~$700,000.

for the bottom 6 i would like to see,

damigo-holland-kulemin
ashton-xxxxxx-bodie

xxxxx = fiddler/goc

Tyler Biggs*

If it comes down to it, and we let Bolland walk, play Holland as 3C with Josh Leivo and Carter Ashton. They ran the show in the AHL playoffs and could bring some youth, skill, and grit to the 3rd line. Once they develop they can move up in the lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Sucks that we are once again losing some serviceable players for nothing. To bad we couldn't have traded some of them off at the deadline and got some picks and prospects back. Leafs have terrible asset management.

The Leafs have a terrible GM. His head is so far up his ass, he can see his tonsils.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Sure, March 5th was the perfect time to unload 3 or 4 roster players for prospects and picks.

POS | Team | GP | PTS
1 | *PITTSBURGH | 61 | 86
2 | *BOSTON | 61 | 83
3 | *MONTRÉAL | 63 | 75
4 | *TAMPA BAY | 62 | 73
5 | *TORONTO | 63 | 72
6 | *PHILADELPHIA | 62 | 70
7 | *NY RANGERS | 62 | 69
8 | *COLUMBUS | 62 | 69
9 | *DETROIT | 61 | 68
10 | *WASHINGTON | 62 | 68
11 | *NEW JERSEY | 63 | 67
12 | *OTTAWA | 62 | 65

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I think it's time we started calling up players. I don't really care about Kulemin and Mcclement. Ranger and Raymond I wouldnt mind but they'll want decent raises from 1m so no thanks. Bodie was decent but to be honest I don't see the point in having a punching bag on the roster... you might as well use that spot on an actual player.

Orr i'm guessing will fill the role he did at the end of last season where he's on the roster but won't play much. I don't think Carlyle will send him down and he'll probably retire when his contract ends after next season. I think his time with the Leafs is just about done. If Carlyle wants an enforcer we have younger guys for that.

My choice for the bottom 6 next season would be:

Leivo-Holland-UFA signing depth scorer
D'Amigo or Ashton-cheap UFA Mcclement replacement-Broll or Devane

I would select who based on who impresses more in preseason... we can always call them up whenever we want anyway

Assuming the top 6 is:

JVR Bozak Kessel
Lupul Kadri Clarkson

but I have a feeling one of the above guys will be traded

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
What irks me is Ranger spent a good 80 percent of last season just getting back to where he once was as a player, and now that he's decent (for what he was anyway) again another team will benefit.

Also, Bodie was a good grinder. I know they're replacable but he was one of the few players who routinely showed physicality and a willingness to go to the tougher areas of the ice.

Tyler Biggs*

Raymond is a nice fluid skater but lacks grit. He was underpaid based on comparable by about $1 mil last season so not surprised. If Leafs scouting and management had done their homework, they already have a replacement in mind.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It's gonna be a conga line of UFAs walking for 0 assets returns , cuzz well,,, we ohhh so needed that playoff depth ,,,ahahaha oh these idiots.
:shakehead

awesome work dave lard ar$e no no:rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad