TSN Radio Dreger: Bodie, Kulemin, McClement, Ranger and Raymond all likely gone.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Dave Poulin was asked if 4-6 marlies could be looking at NHL jobs next year and he kinda smiled and said ya its definitely possible and then went on to explain how rare it is for a team with as many of its key players being on entry level deals go so deep in the playoffs.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
It'll be disappointing if this is indeed the end of Kulemin's career in Toronto. A player that we drafted, we developed, and that played over 400 games in the Blue and White. I still think he can contribute to this roster, he still clicks with whatever line he's on, he's good defensively, he's good along the wall, but I guess management decided that he isn't worth the money he's asking, given his mediocre offense of the last few years. It will be interesting to see what he puts up elsewhere. The 30-goal Kulemin is still there, you can see it in glimpses, can a new coach and team bring his game back to that level?

Jay McClement is another player I'd like to keep for the short-term (2-3 years). He's coming off a poor season but he's been a premiere penalty killer in the league for half-a-decade. Why weigh that one poor season over five great ones?

Bodie and Ranger could still, theoretically, be back. You have to think management will look to fill the roster either with Marlies or through Free Agency but neither are bad options as 7th defensemen/13th forward.

Raymond is a decent secondary scoring option, but I'm glad he likely won't be back. Just too many players like him on this roster.

Frustrating that Clarkson's contract could inhibit the resigning of players like Kulemin and McClement.

I really hope this isn't the 'remolding' of the franchise that has been implied is coming. Swapping out peripheral players is not a 'culture change.' These players aren't the leaders. These players aren't game breakers. If the goal is to change this team, then change where it truly makes a difference, and that's the Core.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
It's embarrassing how poorly Kulemin (and Grabovski, but that's another story) were handled in Toronto. He shows chemistry with Kadri and Lupul so they force him down to the 3rd line to make way for slow-ass David Clarkson who is considerably worse at just about everything. PP time? Nope. That's reserved for Raymond and Clarkson.

Bravo! :handclap:

I thought I was alone on this. Kule did very well with Kadri/Lupul. Are we missing something or is nobody paying attention?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Id want McClement back but the rest meh. Of course Kulemin too but that ship sailed a long time ago

DoubleDouble*

This team was bad and those players were part of why. I can't understand why people defend these players who we keep losing with. Secondary scoring and defence were nowhere to be seen.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Bravo! :handclap:

I thought I was alone on this. Kule did very well with Kadri/Lupul. Are we missing something or is nobody paying attention?

I thought Kule did decent but it wasnt like they were winning like crazy when he went up to the 2nd line.

Kule has stone hands, even during that 30 goal season, his game as completely different he used to drive the net not much differently than JVR did.

Now all of a sudden even though I've seen him in the offensive zone a billion times in the past couple seasons he's just horrid offensively.

When you're only producing 20-30 points it starts to become obvious that we need a marlie replacement like D'amigo who's much cheaper but just as good at driving possession/defence/offence.

I get that his role changed, but his game has just gone south, he stopped believing in himself offensively.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Good thing leafs don't believe in retaining assets for dwindling assets. Some picks for these players would be nice but I guess that's to much to ask for. Having 5 picks in every draft is a good way for success, MUST BE OUR ****** SCOUTING STAFF!!!!

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
This team was bad and those players were part of why. I can't understand why people defend these players who we keep losing with. Secondary scoring and defence were nowhere to be seen.

Agreed, While I believe we need an upgrade at the 1C(not a massive upgrade, but definitely an upgrade) and the 2W(someone good at cycling, possession) it was clearly our secondary scoring that screwed us this season, not our stars.

Our 1st line was the best line in hockey for a stretch of 20 games, but as soon as they cooled off our team plummeted, noone else on the team stepped up.

The defence should get addressed as well and I believe it will.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Why not bring back Bodie?

How did we lose one of the best 2nd line's in hockey (all in their prime) for nothing in just 3 seasons.

Kulemin 30/57 - Grabo 29/58 - MacArthur 21/62

80 goal from a 2nd line that could play a very strong 2-way game.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Why not bring back Bodie?

How did we lose one of the best 2nd line's in hockey (all in their prime) for nothing in just 3 seasons.

Kulemin 30/57 - Grabo 29/58 - MacArthur 21/62

80 goal from a 2nd line that could play a very strong 2-way game.

Best 2nd lines in hockey? We didnt even come close to making the playoffs with them

Why are you guys glorifying tweener players? These guys are nothing but stopgaps that play well on bad teams. None of the teams they played for(wash or OTT) made the playoffs with them as a top 6er, not entirely their fault, but these guys are not going to win you a cup.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
that is a minuscule shame on Bodie. he was decent. Same with Ranger
everyone else .......

sound-of-music-gif1.gif

Bang on

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
havent read any post here BUT there is something I dont get

Is nonis blowing smoke up the media's butt? Sayin way to high of a price for #1 overall? I mean all week ive heard we were in the hunt..Or its the truth but maybe we arent looking for #1 maybe we are looking top 3? I dont know from what I heard from Nonis..as of earlier tonight the leafs were staying pat..we arent in on Kesley and apparently according to media kule may ray mcClement bolland and probably reimer all gone? so thats an entire line and a goaltender..and yet draft day we are going to pick 8th? Seems unlikely ...UNLESS during the draft we pull of a bigger deal and steal the show..or soon after UFA starts

My thinking is if draft day we do nothing but just draft in the order we are in THEN there will be a bigger move made via blockbuster trade. I would love to nab Neal from Pitts..sending Kulemin and a high end prospect the other way. I dunno to me if we dont sign our guys which I have already said is a full line plus an extra forward and goalie..something big must be the in the works.

Kule solid 2 way player dfensively responsible
Bolland leader 2 way exceptional, defensively responsible and can be a clutch guy
Ray speedster can put puck in the net...solid 3rd winger

etc etc

Id love to see Shawn Thorton and Leo Komarov on the 4th line with BLANK center if we dont sign Jay. Then grab Joe, Brad or an experienced center for line 2 ...and Budaj backing up Bernier :)

Thoughts?

Tyler Biggs*

In my opinion Bolland is exactly what this team lacks: a character guy.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
In my opinion Bolland is exactly what this team lacks: a character guy.

it's too bad we'd have to replace him for 30 games or more a season, he's a fragile player.

I do like him though, but at 3.5m which is what he deserves, especially after this kind of injury season, not damn 5m, which is a ridiculous request

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
Best 2nd lines in hockey? We didnt even come close to making the playoffs with them

Why are you guys glorifying tweener players? These guys are nothing but stopgaps that play well on bad teams. None of the teams they played for(wash or OTT) made the playoffs with them as a top 6er, not entirely their fault, but these guys are not going to win you a cup.

NOT ALONE, NO PLAYER IS?! Chicago has Michael ****ing Handzus as their 2C and they won a cup, how can you say that these aren't useful players when placed in a good situation, on a good time... Kinda like all role players who win cups?

I don't get why people think like this? A young Bozak and Joey Crabbe were on the first line for parts of this season, the goaltending was awful, and they had no bottom 6th depth. But since that line had a great year it doesn't count cause the team wasn't good? Awful logic..

WhatASaveDave

Feb 3, 2010
toronto ontario
havent read any post here BUT there is something I dont get

Is nonis blowing smoke up the media's butt? Sayin way to high of a price for #1 overall? I mean all week ive heard we were in the hunt..Or its the truth but maybe we arent looking for #1 maybe we are looking top 3? I dont know from what I heard from Nonis..as of earlier tonight the leafs were staying pat..we arent in on Kesley and apparently according to media kule may ray mcClement bolland and probably reimer all gone? so thats an entire line and a goaltender..and yet draft day we are going to pick 8th? Seems unlikely ...UNLESS during the draft we pull of a bigger deal and steal the show..or soon after UFA starts

My thinking is if draft day we do nothing but just draft in the order we are in THEN there will be a bigger move made via blockbuster trade. I would love to nab Neal from Pitts..sending Kulemin and a high end prospect the other way. I dunno to me if we dont sign our guys which I have already said is a full line plus an extra forward and goalie..something big must be the in the works.

Kule solid 2 way player dfensively responsible
Bolland leader 2 way exceptional, defensively responsible and can be a clutch guy
Ray speedster can put puck in the net...solid 3rd winger

etc etc

Id love to see Shawn Thorton and Leo Komarov on the 4th line with BLANK center if we dont sign Jay. Then grab Joe, Brad or an experienced center for line 2 ...and Budaj backing up Bernier :)

Thoughts?

Or maybe he's trying to build a team properly and stand pat and pick at 8. You should be able to build a team with draft picks, regardless of where you're picking in the first round. All those UFA's (Raymond,Kulemin,Mcclement,Bolland,Bodie) walk on July 1st so we can play some players from the Marlies (Ashton,Damigo,Holland). Just take a slow approach, develop our own guys and we should be good in a few years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad