Player Discussion Drake Caggiula - How far can he go?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He has the skating ability to play with McDavid, and also the hockey smarts. If he can develop that shot even more, we could really have something.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He doesn't have to be amazing. He just needs to keep doing what he's doing. All the little things right.
Contenders are full of guys like Drake and Benning. Scrappy gems who play simple, effective games.
I really enjoy the fact that after jumping into the league he's been knocked around plenty, but still gets up and tenaciously continues to battle in those areas. That's how you win a period. He has heart for days and has only gotten better the more he plays. I think he's been a breath of fresh air.

My response is more to being promoted to the top line than not wanting him on the team.

As I said I think he is a great addition in terms of depth. But I personally don't see a guy who should be playing in anyone's top 6 let alone on a line with McDavid.

I don't believe I have a thing against college players but maybe I do since Schultz left such a bad taste in my mouth. Who at the moment is looking great on Pittsburgh now :-(. Not a big fan of Simpson either. Didn't really like Krug from my early viewings either but certainly like what I've seen as time has gone on. Maybe Caggulia and Benning will grow on me too.

Who are some notable College players that I probably like and never realized they were from that system?

EDIT: Ryan Kesler (always liked), Johnny Gaudreau (Didn't at first, now do), Eichel (always liked a lot), Dylan Larkin (Didn't have thoughts about either way), Colton Parayko (Liked but like more as he continues) and Shayne Gostisbehere (don't like).

Tons of guys I like come from the college system after looking at the list so don't have a bias either way.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
My response is more to being promoted to the top line than not wanting him on the team.

As I said I think he is a great addition in terms of depth. But I personally don't see a guy who should be playing in anyone's top 6 let alone on a line with McDavid.

I don't believe I have a thing against college players but maybe I do since Schultz left such a bad taste in my mouth. Who at the moment is looking great on Pittsburgh now :-(. Not a big fan of Simpson either. Didn't really like Krug from my early viewings either but certainly like what I've seen as time has gone on. Maybe Caggulia and Benning will grow on me too.

Who are some notable College players that I probably like and never realized they were from that system?

EDIT: Ryan Kesler (always liked), Johnny Gaudreau (Didn't at first, now do), Eichel (always liked a lot), Dylan Larkin (Didn't have thoughts about either way), Colton Parayko (Liked but like more as he continues) and Shayne Gostisbehere (don't like).

Tons of guys I like come from the college system after looking at the list so don't have a bias either way.

Since 30-40% of all NHL players are from the NCAA, obviously, there will be quite a few that you might like. Most of the bid programs (North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, BU, BC) will have anywhere from 15-25 former players in the NHL, fulfilling all roles (1st line star to 4th line AHL/NHL tweener).

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Since 30-40% of all NHL players are from the NCAA, obviously, there will be quite a few that you might like. Most of the bid programs (North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, BU, BC) will have anywhere from 15-25 former players in the NHL, fulfilling all roles (1st line star to 4th line AHL/NHL tweener).

I would say 15%-20% but yeh the point remains.. Not sure why going through NCAA route is a knock on Drake..
He is smart enough to adjust his game to stay on that top line. Dont be surprised if he out hits Lucic tonight.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I would say 15%-20% but yeh the point remains.. Not sure why going through NCAA route is a knock on Drake..
He is smart enough to adjust his game to stay on that top line. Dont be surprised if he out hits Lucic tonight.

No one actually did knock him for the NCAA route. It was just speculated that maybe that's what I was holding against him since I compared him to Arcobello.

After looking at the list of players from the NCAA I certainly don't have any bias because of that. There were a lot more good to great players on that list than I realized.

For the record I was a Arcobello fan, very disappointed his offense didn't translate to the NHL.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Caggiula's only scored 0+2 5on5 and his Corsi stats aren't that good, but now he's got a great chance to get the stats better. It'll be interesting to see how he'll be doing tonight.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I see Caggiula becoming a prime Kris Versteeg :nod:

He's grittier than Versteeg imo. He's also probably not as gritty as guys like Gallagher and Shaw who I saw mentioned by another poster, but I think he's more skilled than those 2.

I think he could end up somewhere between a Gallagher and a Marchand. He has all the tools needed for a little guy to succeed. He's not afraid of the dirty areas and plays with a physical edge, he has a good shot, very good hockey IQ, good hands, good speed and shifty skater. I think he can definitely become a top 6 forward.

bereanca

Jul 14, 2006
Edmonton
I could see him centering the third line between Slepyshev and Pitlick sometime in the future. Just wind them up and let them go!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Puli & Slepy both as winger vesus winger has been better two way IMO.

He was often the weak link on his line IMO. One of the worst overall on the team IMO.

Comparing him to Poo just shows how bad he has played. Poo is having a abysmal season so far.

Hendricks is 80 years old.

He is 22 years old, not 18 like Puli, and has been given some very good opportunities and only has one goal to show for it.

That's not to say he can't improve because he is still a rookie but right now he isn't a guy I imagine will be amazing for us.

I completely disagree. Since he's been in the lineup slepyshev has been completely useless, Pitlick hasnt done much and has had poor Corsi numbers all year indicating what I already knew (he's a 4th line crash and banger who can provide a little offence, but struggles in the dzone). He really hasn't had a ton to work with offensively this year so far, and his line mates constantly kill whatever offence he creates. Even Draisaitl has looked bad at times playing with some of the same wingers.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Even before the LA game, I was impressed with Drizzy's strength; I swear that I've witnessed hims shrug off guys that have 40 pounds on him as if they were flies. Those hits that he throws look like they have some serious thump to him. His skating and IQ is off the charts, as well.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Drake seems to work best when playing C in a bottom 6 role. Very safe in his own end and gritty in offensive zone. He seems to struggle when playing top 6 and when playing the wing.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think it'll take some time for him to really hit his stride in the NHL, but he has a lot of tools to like. He's quick and shifty in small spaces and can use that to avoid guys on the cycle. He's clearly a smart player with good vision, and he has a shot capable of beating NHL goaltenders regularly (even though he hasn't had the chance to use it a ton). The fact he's willing to go to the dirty areas and throw checks shows he can be a guy imo that plays as a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

His speed was very noticeable yesterday where he was able to get in on the forecheck instantly, as well as negate a few icings. As he gets more comfortable I can see his offensive game growing quite a bit, and until then he shows a smart defensive game and a willingness to work his ass off to back check.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If he can get his faceoff numbers over 50% he will have a long NHL career. but I said the same about Lander a couple years ago so what do i know :(

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If he can get his faceoff numbers over 50% he will have a long NHL career. but I said the same about Lander a couple years ago so what do i know :(

Completely different players imo. Lander's always been a pretty poor skater with average offensive skills. Most of his offence came just from grinding. Drake on the other hand is a good skater with a ton of skill. Might take him a bit for it to fully translate to the NHL, but he's certainly a much more skilled player than Lander.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I see him as a quality depth player, who is skilled enough to perhaps step into the top 6 at a pinch. Right now he's too raw though.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Drake seems to work best when playing C in a bottom 6 role. Very safe in his own end and gritty in offensive zone. He seems to struggle when playing top 6 and when playing the wing.

I thought that he looked good on Jesus' wing.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Completely different players imo. Lander's always been a pretty poor skater with average offensive skills. Most of his offence came just from grinding. Drake on the other hand is a good skater with a ton of skill. Might take him a bit for it to fully translate to the NHL, but he's certainly a much more skilled player than Lander.

This, you can't 'teach' his speed. He doesn't appear to be afraid of mixing it up either. I think by years end his skill will start to show why they signed him.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
[mod]

As for Caggiulla, if he could develop into a top-9 center for this team, that would be a huge win.

lolz that's funny. Either way, a bit more offense out of Caggiulla would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Caggiula heating up lately with 2g and 2 a in his past 2 games.

I've enjoyed his game all season but these last two games have been going his way.

I like his feistiness for a smaller guy also, he has that competitive edge to his game.

This secondary scoring is needed at a time like this. Vital. (end of March)

Great i.q. Great skating ability. Decent defensively.

Definitely deserves a little praise today.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Disappointed overall with him. Think it was a big mistake putting him directly into the NHL. Him and Benning are two guys that have very little upside but provide much needed depth.

I know I will get flamed for this but Caggiula reminds me of Marc Arcobello. Very slightly worse defensively and very slightly better offensively.

In short (pun intended), not a guy I see being effective in the NHL but probably great in the AHL.

Archive this post under the "foot in mouth" category in a few years

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Caggiula heating up lately with 2g and 2 a in his past 2 games.

I've enjoyed his game all season but these last two games have been going his way.

I like his feistiness for a smaller guy also, he has that competitive edge to his game.

This secondary scoring is needed at a time like this. Vital. (end of March)

Great i.q. Great skating ability. Decent defensively.

Definitely deserves a little praise today.

I'd been wondering if a little time in the AHL would do him well. He answered that question with his play in the last few games. I'm glad.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Archive this post under the "foot in mouth" category in a few years

Lol, the guy is a borderline NHLer most nights, thus why he gets scratched here and there despite getting gratuitous opportunities. He has a couple good games and this stuff comes out...

I stand by the statement he needs/needed? time in the minors, not exactly sure how anyone can really disagree with that statement.

I hope I am wrong and he becomes a good NHLer. We need guys like him to come in and be an impact with a cheap contract to boot. Right now tho... the post above is bit premature.

Has looked great the last couple games hope he keeps it up.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If he works on his shot (currently not good enough at NHL level) he might be a long term solution here. Our top 9 surely lack shooters.

Right now he is more of a deker\deflector IMO

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If he works on his shot (currently not good enough at NHL level) he might be a long term solution here. Our top 9 surely lack shooters.

Right now he is more of a deker\deflector IMO

I think his shots better than most give him credit for. He's been a little snakebitten, but he has a good hard wrister and a good hard one-timer. The accuracy hasn't been there at times, but a lot of that is probably learning at the NHL level how much time you have to get shots off and its a learning curve that takes time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad