Player Discussion Drake Caggiula - How far can he go?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Given all the time he missed at the start of the season I'm really surprised that the team didn't even bother sending him down to the AHL for conditioning.

He's been a lore more productive than I expected this year. Played tons of minutes vs Buffalo. Will be interesting to see how many minutes he gets vs the better teams.

I feel he's got the IQ and skills to be a legit top 6 forward if he can stay healthy.

What do you guys think we've got in Drake?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Very impressed with him and Benning. I literally have zero expectations for College signings in year one. To me if they can play top 6 or top 4 in the AHL is a plus for the team.

The fact that they are making some plays in the NHL is quite impressive for me. I do think both could use some AHL time, but at the same time I'm okay with them receiving NHL time and growing with the team

Essentially they haven't been worse than a lot of the other rookies we played the past 5 years, so that's nice.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Very impressed with him and Benning. I literally have zero expectations for College signings in year one. To me if they can play top 6 or top 4 in the AHL is a plus for the team.

The fact that they are making some plays in the NHL is quite impressive for me. I do think both could use some AHL time, but at the same time I'm okay with them receiving NHL time and growing with the team

Essentially they haven't been worse than a lot of the other rookies we played the past 5 years, so that's nice.

That sounds pretty fair.

I think the fact that they're older matters a lot. Their conditioning should be better and well... we've had a lot of 18ish year old rookies... and there's a huge difference regardless of what league you're coming from. They may not have been playing against pros, but they've clearly got more experience.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Huge signings for the Oilers this season. Caggiula has been much, much better than I expected to start the season. He certainly seems to just 'get' the NHL level. For some reasons some guys can jump right in, and he's one of them.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That sounds pretty fair.

I think the fact that they're older matters a lot. Their conditioning should be better and well... we've had a lot of 18ish year old rookies... and there's a huge difference regardless of what league you're coming from. They may not have been playing against pros, but they've clearly got more experience.

My issue is year after year we hear about these guys and they are the new "saviour" of a club. Rarely are they ever that good early on, which seems to add pressure to these guys.

They are older so that helps, but at the same time it is quite a different path and game they take to get to the NHL so it shouldn't be a shock when guys have issues.

Matt Gilroy really was the turning point on expectations for me. Although I believe he is not lighting up the KHL.

Danny Dekeyser however has me realizing that it is possible to come in and make an impact. Just don't get your hopes too high.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Looked good on the top line last game.. Looks very reliable in the defensive zone.
Not much of a shooter it seems but just might work.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I see his ceiling as a 50ish point two way winger who can play anywhere in the top 9.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
My issue is year after year we hear about these guys and they are the new "saviour" of a club. Rarely are they ever that good early on, which seems to add pressure to these guys.

They are older so that helps, but at the same time it is quite a different path and game they take to get to the NHL so it shouldn't be a shock when guys have issues.

Matt Gilroy really was the turning point on expectations for me. Although I believe he is not lighting up the KHL.

Danny Dekeyser however has me realizing that it is possible to come in and make an impact. Just don't get your hopes too high.

I really don't think anyone can be crazy enough to expect someone like Drake to be a savior.

If he actually stuck in our top 6 this year, you'd think he'd be good for 40+ points and holy cow would that be amazing considering the time he missed and his level of experience.

But I think to expect him to stick in the top 6 for the entire year is a little crazy. He works his butt off, so I don't see him as useless while playing in a bottom 6 role.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Caggiula (and Benning) have been really impressive so far. Didn't have a lot of hope for guys coming directly from college, but i'm glad to be completely wrong on this one.
If Drake can play a gritty bottom 9 game throughout his career, i'm more than happy.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Anyone has the gif of his one hand smackdown after he was highsticked by Marko Dano?
That is something I can watch over n over

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Gallagher/Shaw would be nice haha

No thanks to Shaw.
He's too dirty.
I don't want those guys on my team anymore.

We had the rat in the late 80's but everyone had guys like that back then. The NHL is different now
We've got a nice mix of size and skill.
If you want to draw more penalties bring in more guys that skate faster and lead to hooking and holding penalties.
We all know how much the refs love to screw us over. Last thing is a guy with a reputation for being a dick.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Disappointed overall with him. Think it was a big mistake putting him directly into the NHL. Him and Benning are two guys that have very little upside but provide much needed depth.

I know I will get flamed for this but Caggiula reminds me of Marc Arcobello. Very slightly worse defensively and very slightly better offensively.

In short (pun intended), not a guy I see being effective in the NHL but probably great in the AHL.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Disappointed overall with him. Think it was a big mistake putting him directly into the NHL. Him and Benning are two guys that have very little upside but provide much needed depth.

I know I will get flamed for this but Caggiula reminds me of Marc Arcobello. Very slightly worse defensively and very slightly better offensively.

In short (pun intended), not a guy I see being effective in the NHL but probably great in the AHL.

Well he has outperformed Puljujarvi Pouliot Hendricks and Slepychev already and has earned his way onto the top line. If that disappoints you then im not sure what you were expecting..
Caggiula was carrying his own line earlier, is killing penalties and getting some PP time..

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Caggiula also has 13lbs on Arcobello and plays tougher than most of our forwards. Considering all the big bodies we have that says a lot.

His size and path to NHL can be compared to Arcobello who was decent enough but his offense and his ability to play with skilled linemates should be better than Arco considering Arco was a PPG player at U level while Caggiula was much better (51pts in 39GP last year)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Well he has outperformed Puljujarvi Pouliot Hendricks and Slepychev already and has earned his way onto the top line. If that disappoints you then im not sure what you were expecting..
Caggiula was carrying his own line earlier, is killing penalties and getting some PP time..

Puli & Slepy both as winger vesus winger has been better two way IMO.

He was often the weak link on his line IMO. One of the worst overall on the team IMO.

Comparing him to Poo just shows how bad he has played. Poo is having a abysmal season so far.

Hendricks is 80 years old.

He is 22 years old, not 18 like Puli, and has been given some very good opportunities and only has one goal to show for it.

That's not to say he can't improve because he is still a rookie but right now he isn't a guy I imagine will be amazing for us.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

He was often the weak link on his line IMO. One of the worst overall on the team IMO.

Comparing him to Poo just shows how bad he has played. Poo is having a abysmal season so far.

He is 22 years old, not 18 like Puli, and has been given some very good opportunities and only has one goal to show for it.

That's not to say he can't improve because he is still a rookie but right now he isn't a guy I imagine will be amazing for us.

I dont think I or the Oilers coaching staff share the same views.. Oilers got better instantly as soon as Caggiula returned to the lineup. He gave the team depth and the 4th line credibility right away. Everyone raves about RNH and how he is focused on his 2 way game.. well Caggiula has been just as good if not better defensively.. His head is always on a swivel and he is very responsible defensively.

His promotion to McDavids line sum up his great work.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Calling someone the opposite of another isnt really comparing the 2.. Puljujarvi was suppose to be this winger we were hoping to be McDavid's Kurri while no one had projected Caggiula to start in the NHL..
Drake is the anti Pulju and seems have to the trust of the coaches.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I don't see how this is the case at all. Caggiula was a better college players, he's younger making the NHL then Arco and he's made a much better team then Arco did.

So is your issue the College UFA thing? Because to just label he and Benning as guys with no upside is silly.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015

He doesn't have to be amazing. He just needs to keep doing what he's doing. All the little things right.
Contenders are full of guys like Drake and Benning. Scrappy gems who play simple, effective games.
I really enjoy the fact that after jumping into the league he's been knocked around plenty, but still gets up and tenaciously continues to battle in those areas. That's how you win a period. He has heart for days and has only gotten better the more he plays. I think he's been a breath of fresh air.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
I didn't love him on the top line with McDavid, he just seemed to bobble way too many pucks. I certainly think he has a place on this team though.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Cagguila has been fine and dandy in the NHL. Gotta remember he missed significant time to start year and this is his rookie season. If this is the worst hell ever play... we got a keeper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad