Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Was hoping he wasn't just an injury call up, Smith coming back confirms that it's not, hope hes here to stay.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Ya’ll were questioning me in the summer for thinking he was Ottawa’s best prospect after Tkachuk. :sarcasm:

He's the best prospect in the organization, including Tkachuk.

Batherson looks like a star in the making. Think Bobby Ryan in Anaheim as a good comparable.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
To be fair he did say “In Anaheim”.

That is a horrifying comparison and not because the lack of production and how injury prone he is. but how weak Ryan's core strength is.

I'd rather Batherson is strong on his skates and can actually use his body like Duchene does

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Drake doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same "shoot first" mentality that Bobby had in Juniors/Anaheim. Not sure I see the comparison either.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
You must forget what Ryan was like in his first 5 years in Anaheim...

Highly skilled young player with a deadly shot and slick puck handling skills who still lacked intensity and avoided using his body. Even in Anaheim he could've been much better than he showed.

Batherson looks like a much engaged and refined player than Ryan, maybe not as talented as him, but again, Ryan never lived up to his potential either, even in Anaheim

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

He was playing with in prime versions of Getzlaf and Perey though. Then there was also teemo selanne or however you spell his name. That is some good talent to play with and it can make a player look better than they really are

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Highly skilled young player with a deadly shot and slick puck handling skills who still lacked intensity and avoided using his body. Even in Anaheim he could've been much better than he showed.

Batherson looks like a much engaged and refined player than Ryan, maybe not as talented as him, but again, Ryan never lived up to his potential either, even in Anaheim
There’s a reason we gave up as much as we did for Bobby Ryan, at the time he was one of the most dynamic wingers in the NHL. I understand he has dissapointed with his stint in Ottawa but he was a top 15 winger in Anaheim. I know we are all entitled to our opinions however.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
There’s a reason we gave up as much as we did for Bobby Ryan, at the time he was one of the most dynamic wingers in the NHL. I understand he has dissapointed with his stint in Ottawa but he was a top 15 winger in Anaheim. I know we are all entitled to our opinions however.

Might be the power of hindsight, but I find that to be hyperbole. Unless I'm blind, I don't even think he's ever finished top-15 in scoring for wingers (came close a couple times mind you) and that's not even counting the other deficiencies in his game (which existed in Anaheim as well). Might be a semantics argument, but top-15 seems real high. It's kinda obvious in hindsight that he was carried by prime Getzlaf/Perry (especially Perry) during his time with the Ducks.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

He was dynamic, no doubt, but his production wasn't all that impressive, hovering around 60 points with all that talent he possessed, and was surrounded with even more talent

We sure gave up a lot for him, but a lot of that has to do with us panicking because of Alfredsson leaving

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Might be the power of hindsight, but I find that to be hyperbole. Unless I'm blind, I don't even think he's ever finished top-15 in scoring for wingers (came close a couple times mind you) and that's not even counting the other deficiencies in his game (which existed in Anaheim as well). Might be a semantics argument, but top-15 seems real high. It's kinda obvious in hindsight that he was carried by prime Getzlaf/Perry (especially Perry) during his time with the Ducks.

I think from 2008 to 2012, he was 15th in scoring among wingers, and 7th or 8th in goals (have to double check as I looked it up quickly a while ago). Granted, there were some guys that had better paces, but he was certainly scoring like a premier winger at the time. He followed that up with a bad year before getting traded.

As for carried by Getlaf and Perry, not really imo. He played as much away from them as with him and produced at a similar rate. perhaps their presence insulated him from top lines, but remember, he actually played pretty well to start here on the line with Turris and MacArthur before getting a hernia and has struggled since with consistency and injuries.

Reactions: Cosmix

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
He was dynamic, no doubt, but his production wasn't all that impressive, hovering around 60 points with all that talent he possessed, and was surrounded with even more talent

We sure gave up a lot for him, but a lot of that has to do with us panicking because of Alfredsson leaving

In fairness, Ryan didn't get a lot of powerplay time with Teemu there.

But back to Drake - It's gone midnight here in the UK and I'm forcing myself to stay awake to watch this kid play!

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Yeah it's horrifying to have Batherson compared to a 2nd overall talent picked right after Sidney Crosby. Hopefully the Drake, who is my favorite prospect, won't only put 4 straight 30 goals seasons.

6th in 2010-11 in RW scoring with 71 pts, behind St-Louis, Perry, Iginla, Selanne and Kane. On LW, Sedin, Ovechkin, Vanek, Eriksson with more than 71 pts, Sharp with the same total

And I just checked, overall, he was 20th in Wingers scoring from 2008-09 to 2011-12 with 249 pts.

Based on what he was, a 26 y/o high end winger, I really don't think we gave much to get him. Silfverberg didn't look like he was going to be a prolific scorer (and it's true, after 6 years he has a 0.52 PPG in Anaheim), Noesen had a big down year in his draft +2 and started having injury trouble and the first was supposed to be 20th+ OA pick in a weak draft as we were on the rise (Sens picked 17th the year before despite several key injuries to Karlsson, Spezza, Michalek, Anderson, etc)

I still don't understand why people keep saying that we gave up a lot. I would give a quantity package anytime I could for a quality piece.

Reactions: Cosmix

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I dont know what the big deal is. We all knew he was going to score tonight didnt we

Drake!!!

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I dont think the Bobby Ryan comparison is good even in terms of style. To me, Batherson is a much better play-maker than Bobby Ryan.

I would compare Batherson to Stone in style. The scary part is that Batherson is a better skater than Stone which will allow him to hold on to the puck for longer.

If he stays on the top line, he is going to do very well this season...he could end up with 40+ points

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad