Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
We might be thinking of different plays, but our best scoring chance was late in the game when Tkachuk made a tip pass to Dadanov who had an open net but shot it at Campbell.

I edited it.

Batherson passes it to Tkachuk, who chips it to Dadonov.

I'm just saying he was a part of our best two scoring opportunities.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I edited it.

Batherson passes it to Tkachuk, who chips it to Dadonov.

I'm just saying he was a part of our best two scoring opportunities.
He has been our best threat along with Tkachuk for creating scoring chances in our first two games. Interesting to see how the season plays out for him in a contract year.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That was Batherson? That was easily the best chance we had all game too... other than the Dadonov shot... which Batherson sauced to Tkachuk to start the play...

On the I’m thinking about Batherson sent it into the crease from behind the net (not the Dadonov play) I think the line mates were changing or behind the play and no one was there. It’s an amazing play to break down for a “first year” player.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I was amazed with Batherson in game 2. At one point he tracked the leaf Dman behind the net. He’d been banging them all series and this time he backed off and covered the passing lane. The Dman just passed it right onto Drakes stick who fed it out front for a scoring chance.

Drake was thinking miles ahead of the play. He’s a unique combo of skill, power, and brains.

Drakes play gives me hope for Brown and Brann and the Sens current developmental approach.

Yeah, that's the type of play I'm referring to. Like Stone, there's an innate talent for simply ending up with the puck.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Like Drake a lot
But he Needs to be better playing on L1 and PP1
Needs a goal per 6 games at least

Reactions: Icelevel

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
He's literally the only forward on our team that has is consistently making passes and plays that advance us towards a scoring chance. He's got a nice soft first touch and quick hands. And it stands out on this team.

Reactions: DrEasy and EXTRAS

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Batherson and Norris are playing well and getting chances for first year players. There not beating goalies from the perimeter yet but it will come.

Ideally these guys would be the Sens 2ND line.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
He has looked very promising and I love that he got a bit quicker during the summer, but he needs to stop the cute little junior/AHL passing plays imo. He needs to shoot more and take control of the game. It should come with time.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If he doesn't start shooting, he is going to slide down. A goal would be nice to get him going, but am starting to see things in his offensive game that tend to get him demoted. Love everything he is doing, so many things right, but he has to stop over passing the puck. And he has a great shot, but if he won't use it, he may very well be the best third line player in the NHL

Reactions: robsenz

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He has looked very promising and I love that he got a bit quicker during the summer, but he needs to stop the cute little junior/AHL passing plays imo. He needs to shoot more and take control of the game. It should come with time.

Yeah he also needs to use that newfound speed and his size to get to the front of the net. That being said he's been one of our 3 best forwards thus far. He's looking good.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Pierre McGuire said on that TSN morning show that he likes Batherson but in the prominent role he’s in he’s gotta score a goal.

Reactions: DueDiligence

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I feel like that lines best shot of scoring is the sometimes the over-touched passing play. Even Norris isn't really beating anyone from outside with his shot yet. Has Batherson ever had a history of being a shooter ? Most goals i've seen from him were down low/ around the net stuff. These guys shots will improve.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Nothing wrong with Batherson's game to this pointm, he has been very good. As long as he keeps playing the way he has been the results will follow. With 18 shots in 6 games and most opportunities being around the crease, it's just a case of being unlucky in a small sample size.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I feel like that lines best shot of scoring is the sometimes the over-touched passing play. Even Norris isn't really beating anyone from outside with his shot yet. Has Batherson ever had a history of being a shooter ? Most goals i've seen from him were down low/ around the net stuff. These guys shots will improve.

Batherson has a really nice wrister. Great fluid motion and gets a lot on it pretty quick. Not sure about his one-timer. Don;t feel like that's a huge part of his game right now.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Very Big part of the best line on the team. He handles the puck the best of the 3 of them and he passes the puck the best of the 3 of them.. He has to be more selfish and shoot more. He has a great shot as well.

Reactions: aragorn

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You missed my point. They are being pushed into being 1st line players which is very premature. These guys need time to develop without lots of extra pressure being forced upon them.
Yeah, neither are 1st line players yet other than being shoved into that role. Batherson may become a 1st line guy, I don't think Norris will ever be more than a 2nd line guy, which is perfectly fine

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You missed my point. They are being pushed into being 1st line players which is very premature. These guys need time to develop without lots of extra pressure being forced upon them.

Who are our other 1st line players. So far so good for these guys ... but your concern is noted.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
One thing I've really liked is how physical he has been so far, didn't see that in past callups. Hope he keeps it up.

Edit: lol, just looked it up and he (along with Tkachuk, no surprise) is leading the team in hits...

This is the way he played when I first saw him at his first development camp hitting everything that moved & mentioned it in a post Nice to see him start hitting again, he has the size to deliver some good hits, but they need him more to be a playmaker & goal scorer. It's also another reason that L. Brown & Formenton should be up here, Formenton hits & L. Brown is a pretty good playmaker & this team needs more playmakers & guys who can set up shooters. Formenton would really help to move opposing defenders back knowing that with his speed he can get behind them quickly & they wouldn't cheat as much in our defensive zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad