Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Eesh...I know it was an accident but I admit I felt bad watching last night!

As for Bath, dude is bringing it - again he generated a lot of opportunities and was rewarded with another goal and assist (could have more again). Back-to-back multi point games and a goal streak going and **trending** towards a 50 point pace over 82 games and I think his PPG will continue to improve as the season goes on.
Great rebound game from him, he does look like he is feeling it now.

Reactions: OD99

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He is a top line winger, just be a little more patient. No one and I mean no one should be doubting Drake, he has proven to be dominant in the AHL and trains with some of the best (Crosby, Mackinnon, Marchand) so imo it was only a matter of time before he broke out and got comfortable.

If you ask guys like Crosby and Marchand about Drake they'll tell you he is going to be a good one, as well.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
He is a top line winger, just be a little more patient. No one and I mean no one should be doubting Drake, he has proven to be dominant in the AHL and trains with some of the best (Crosby, Mackinnon, Marchand) so imo it was only a matter of time before he broke out and got comfortable.
I see Batherson as a poor man's Mitch Marner who would flourish feeding a scoring centre like Norris; but on a very good 2nd line. He has an average shot and has very good play making skills but needs to work on his defensive game. Nothing in his repertoire suggests he would be a 1st line player on a good team.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I am so happy to see him get some points. But make no mistake, Drake has to produce. He simply has to with all the PP time and playing with a superstar. I'm just glad that he is now

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
I see Batherson as a poor man's Mitch Marner who would flourish feeding a scoring centre like Norris; but on a very good 2nd line. He has an average shot and has very good play making skills but needs to work on his defensive game. Nothing in his repertoire suggests he would be a 1st line player on a good team.

I think there is a distinction between being 1st line cornerstone player, versus a 1st line player. Marner is an absolute cornerstone guy who perhaps finishes top 3 for the Art Ross. To hold 1st liners to that standard, is basically saying there are only 20-25 1st line players in the league, rather than 90 or so.

As to playing with a superstar, do you mean BT or TS? Not sure either is an elite producer yet that is dragging Batherson's production along, although Drake is definitely benefiting from PP time.

That said, he is arguably the best puck mover on the PP, so he certainly belongs on the first PP Unit IMO. While not scoring in droves, the 1st PP unit has looked terrific of late. Jimmy helping there, but loving some of the cross ice passes between Jimmy and The Drake.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
He is playing better. I’m a bit concerned about his foot speed. He doesn’t get up and down the ice too well at even strength. I think playing on a line with Stutzle has helped him out.

He is very talented and a smart player. If he can improve his skating he can be a really good top 6 player.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Drake Batherson is the best playmaker on this team who is only going to get better & is without question a top six player. His size, hands & reach help him to win a lot of board battles, he just needs to get stronger to be better.

Reactions: NB613 and Oral64

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I am so happy to see him get some points. But make no mistake, Drake has to produce. He simply has to with all the PP time and playing with a superstar. I'm just glad that he is now

I don't know if I'd call Stepan a superstar. Really more of a star. :sarcasm:

Reactions: coladin

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

To be fair with him, he could easily have 5-7 more assist if it wasn't for Price robbing Stutzle 3 times and even stopping White in the same game.

Even earlier in the season he made some magical passes which could easily turn into goals, but it wasn't to be. Also, not to mention the tic tac toe play between him and Stutzle that ended up hitting the post on an open net.

He is still playing less than 15mins a game and usually take very short shifts. Things are starting to happen for him as he is getting more and more comfortable

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Batherson's game is coming along really nicely. Goals in 4 straight games and 5 in the last 6 .. He's been a big part of the Sens success this year.
His dzone has improved as well. Like him and Jimi playing together. Too bad we didn't have a rock star C that had a handful of NHL years under his belt.. that line could be something else.

Batherson had 2 great years in the AHL and his play there is translating here .. you can see his game building which is great.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Who do people think will end up as the best player at the end of this season between Stutzle, Batherson & Norris?

1. Batherson - the best playmaker on this team
2. Norris - the most complete player of the three
3. Stutzle - potentially the best goal scorer

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Who do people think will end up as the best player at the end of this season between Stutzle, Batherson & Norris?

Just saw you said end of season:

1)Timmy/Bath: seems like they're feeding off one another
3)Norris: less flashy, very effective tho

Career:

1)Timmy - Superstar Allstar. Centre or wing? We'll see

2) Batherson - probably averages around 50-60pts a year with one or 2 70+ pt seasons
3) Norris - Probably about the same average points as Batherson. I just find Batherson more fun to watch. Could flip these guys and I wouldnt be upset.

Last edited:

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

Stutzle without a doubt. There’s a reason Batherson started scoring after being put on a line with Stu

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

After this season? That's a tough call.

I'll go:
1. Batherson
2. Norris
3. Stützle

I think Bath is coming into his own. Meanwhile I suspect Stu might fade as an 18 year old playing a heavy schedule. By next year Stützle will be the best of the three and very likely the team's best forward or even the best player on the team. I wasn't 100% sold at the draft. I am now. This kid will be a special player.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1)Timmy - Superstar Allstar. Centre or wing? We'll see

2) Batherson - probably averages around 50-60pts a year with one or 2 70+ pt seasons
3) Norris - Probably about the same average points as Batherson. I just find Batherson more fun to watch. Could flip these guys and I wouldnt be upset.
I was asking about the end of this yr, I too expect that Stutzle will eventually turn into the best player. Or is that your answer to this yr that Stutzle will end up being the best player? Norris is so subtle, he quietly puts up pts & scores & plays a solid 200' game.

Reactions: cudi

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I was asking about the end of this yr, I too expect that Stutzle will eventually turn into the best player. Or is that your answer to this yr that Stutzle will end up being the best player? Norris is so subtle, he quietly puts up pts & scores & plays a solid 200' game.

I edited it when I re-read haha. My bad.

Reactions: aragorn

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
1 unique skillset that only Batherson has and comes naturally to him is the fact that he sees a play developing in the offensive zone, especially in transition and has the patience to wait that extra few seconds and make that pass for a great scoring chance. He has that skill and ability to actually make that play.

Great example is @5:17 from last night's game highlights. He is amazing in finding the 3rd guy for an excellent scoring chance

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Stutzle without a doubt. There’s a reason Batherson started scoring after being put on a line with Stu
Started getting the bounces? Batherson was creating before. Then he got two lucky bounces before that montreal game. Two nice goals past two games.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

Bath might outscore Brady this year. He's currently two points back over the same number of games, but obviously Brady brings a lot more than points.

How many additional points would Bath have to put up over Brady to be considered the team's best forward?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Bath might outscore Brady this year. He's currently two points back over the same number of games, but obviously Brady brings a lot more than points.

How many additional points would Bath have to put up over Brady to be considered the team's best forward?
Good point. I initially thought it should not come down to just pts, but then that turns it into a beauty pageant & who people like the most. Therefore I guess pts will have to be the measure. And we could add Tkachuk to this contest as well & maybe even Paul & White. Maybe it should be the best forward, but Tkachuk does so many things it's hard to argue against him IMO. Doesn't he lead the team in numerous categories already? They have some really good young players & hopefully a bunch more coming soon.

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad