Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW) - Part II

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
NHL apparently could name up to 8 players involved from the Junior team. Still kind of worried Batherson will be named.
This has always been the case from the beginning.
I’m prepared for the worst re batherson.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
We don't need to trade him now.
He'll bounce back .. maybe. Maybe Greig will score 20 . Pinto ups his 20 . Maybe .
If we bet on the best case scenario we probably fall short imo.
It would be nice to have 2 solid wingers for Pinto and slot Greig and Joseph where they belong
I'd bet on Joseph getting more 5v5 goals than he had last year if that's what you mean by bounce back.
I think he produces more, but as you say, I want 2 wingers for Pinto so we can start Greig in the AHL and slot in Joseph on the 4th line. When injuries happen, those 2 will be moved up/called up.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We don't need to trade Joseph at all, he'll bounce back and is basically paid the league average.
Joseph's contract is not crippling at all. Now, when you have a $7 million or $8 million player who has fallen off a cliff, now you have a problem. This contract is less of a problem. Hopefully he gets inspired by seeing his brother win gold at the Worlds, a tournament to which he was conspicuously not invited, and has a bounce back year. If I was him, and had to listen to people talking crap about me all off-season, I'd be pretty motivated...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Joseph had 18 pts last yr & 3 goals, I would think at the least that Soko could get more than 4 goals & maybe produce a little more offence depending on who he plays with which more likely would be Pinto who has some offence to his game. I get that Joesph speed is good for forechecking but he brings next to no offence. Soko may be slow but he has some offensive skill to his game & has shown to be a pt producer in Belleville.

He is also waiver eligible this yr & they could lose him if they have to waive him after training camp. I also think Joseph makes way too much for what we get out of him & Soko at under $1 mil would be money better spent. That's basically my justification for Soko & he's been in Belleville for 3 yrs paid his dues, led them in scoring & should be given his opportunity. We'll see how it plays out.
I bet Joseph could get more than 4 goals as well

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Joseph's contract is not crippling at all. Now, when you have a $7 million or $8 million player who has fallen off a cliff, now you have a problem. This contract is less of a problem. Hopefully he gets inspired by seeing his brother win gold at the Worlds, a tournament to which he was conspicuously not invited, and has a bounce back year. If I was him, and had to listen to people talking crap about me all off-season, I'd be pretty motivated...

Yup. Joseph has negative value. He’s overpaid but that contract won’t kill us in the greater scheme. Makes no sense to pay valuable assets to offload him.

Reactions: SENStastic

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Im expecting the worst, so Batherson likely to get reprimanded, along with most of the other players that didn’t deny being there that night. Too bad, his contract was nice - sets the rebuild back a huge step. But justice needs to be served .

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I’d be surprised if Batherson was involved. Why drop the hammer so severely on Formenton only? Wouldn’t really add up imo.

Reactions: gab6511

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I’d be surprised if Batherson was involved. Why drop the hammer so severely on Formenton only? Wouldn’t really add up imo.

There's involved and then there's involved.

Regardless no point speculating until the report is released. Any number of things could explain the differential treatment.

Reactions: Bileur and BigRig4

R2010

May 23, 2011
1 highly involved, 1 was only briefly there (so I am told - but by people very biased toward the one that apparently wasn't involved).

R2010

May 23, 2011
Wasn't someone on here saying they believe this is batherson's agent?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The lawyer for all, or 8 of the 9 guys or something, said that there were two groups of players who had been in the room, one group participated, while the other group did not and did not stay.

Sounds like more than one player did a fly by if their lawyer is to be believed.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Let’s take a step back from the hotel room speculation in this thread please

DO NOT DISCUSS THE HOCKEY CANADA SCANDAL IN THIS THREAD

If you do you will be reply banned.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If we want to finish top 3 in the division, Batherson has to get back on track to Jamie Benn development arc.

If he look at his trajectory, he was/is destined for stardom. Remarkable last season in OHL. Lapped everyone in team Canada in goals, lead scorer in OHL playoffs, unquestionably best forward in AHL on our team in rookie season. Best player in AHL following season. PPG in the NHL 2 years later.

He needs to get back on track. If he is 2nd/3rd best winger and hitting his stride, we will be a contender sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Reactions: dumbdick

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
He's at biosteel camp with mcd, drai,makar,mack,eichel, bedard, no Crosby this year. Would be cool to see how Bedard measures up.
I never understood these things. Is it an exclusive invite to a camp sponsored by a company or is it a gathering of company spokesmen for a camp? Gongshow use to have one, no? Is this that same 'camp' now sponsored by Biosteel? Same core of players as far as I can tell.

So confusing:propeller

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
15 pts in his last 15 games... Hit a a bunch of posts too could have a lot more points. Really scary player even scarier we have fans that think he is the guy too move out to make a change for the sake of change.

making less than 5M aav.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad