Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW) - Part II

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jordan Kyrou just signed for 2 years/5.6M [2.8M AAV].

Really good comparable for Batherson.
Not sure what the implication would be if we tried to go longer but that would be a great avv for a bridge deal

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Not sure what the implication would be if we tried to go longer but that would be a great avv for a bridge deal

Almost identical stats of games played and points between the two players. Same age too.

I am assuming that Jordan is hoping to cash in 2 years, and that Ottawa might be looking to go long term now with a higher AAV so it can become a bargain later on in year 3,4,5 etc.

I am thinking maybe $4.5-5M at 5-6 years.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Almost identical stats of games played and points between the two players. Same age too.

I am assuming that Jordan is hoping to cash in 2 years, and that Ottawa might be looking to go long term now with a higher AAV so it can become a bargain later on in year 3,4,5 etc.

I am thinking maybe $4.5-5M at 5-6 years.

Do you think Bath is a $7+ winger in years 5-6? He will need to be if you pay him like that vs JK money just to break even.

If rather pay him $3 now and if he deserves $5 or $8 later let him have it. We haven’t got much value of contacts like that from White or Ryan. These guys are better when they are financially motivated.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Drake Says “ Give me that White contract you all thought was a great deal…. Guaranteed I put up better numbers than you ever thought he would get”.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I get so confused when everyone was thrilled to give White $4.75 but wants to give Bath $2.8…. Bath is already better than White in his contract year. Pay the man.
2.8 for Bath is a good bridge deal based on Kyrou as a comparable, but I think the vast majority would rather go long term with him so I'm sure they'd be thrilled with a 5 or 6 year deal in the range of 4.74 or whatever

Reactions: Dionysus

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I get so confused when everyone was thrilled to give White $4.75 but wants to give Bath $2.8…. Bath is already better than White in his contract year. Pay the man.
A bit intellectually dishonest...the 2.8 figure was floated on the assumption of a bridge deal. Obviously that wouldn't be the case on a longer-term deal. White's deal isn't a fair comparable because it was longer-term and buying out UFA years is understandably going to cost more. Personally, I think 2.8 is a little low given what we've seen, but it's not way out of left field on a bridge. Context matters.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
2.8 for Bath is a good bridge deal based on Kyrou as a comparable, but I think the vast majority would rather go long term with him so I'm sure they'd be thrilled with a 5 or 6 year deal in the range of 4.74 or whatever

Ha - I see what you did there. Personally I think Bath > White but hey, each their own.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
A bit intellectually dishonest...the 2.8 figure was floated on the assumption of a bridge deal. Obviously that wouldn't be the case on a longer-term deal. White's deal isn't a fair comparable because it was longer-term and buying out UFA years is understandably going to cost more. Personally, I think 2.8 is a little low given what we've seen, but it's not way out of left field on a bridge. Context matters.

I don’t disagree - I’ve always felt that 4, 4, 4.75, 4.75, 4.75, 5.25, 6.25 type structure they paid White sorta counted for the player value inflation and cap inflation.

The Sens (and most fans) were happy to call the last two years $4.0 years and saw him capping out around $6.25 of value.

Bath IS better.

Reactions: DJB

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
2 x 2.8 is a great comparable with virtually the same stats.

I can see the Sens were maybe a little higher, Drake didn't accept the offer of the Sens, now has suddenly lost a lot lf leverage with Kyrou's deal. I don't doubt that Ottawa probably offered more

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I don’t disagree - I’ve always felt that 4, 4, 4.75, 4.75, 4.75, 5.25, 6.25 type structure they paid White sorta counted for the player value inflation and cap inflation.

The Sens (and most fans) were happy to call the last two years $4.0 years and saw him capping out around $6.25 of value.

Bath IS better.

These are getting ridiculous again as everything ties back to White.

Let's say the Senators trade White. Does that mean every Senators negotiation now won't include him? Or will the agent still say, "Remember when you signed White? We feel our player scores more than him so we want $7M."?

When does it end? Contracts are not going to be based off White's contract - end of story. It doesn't work that way just like it doesn't work that way for any contract negotiation. There will be loads of variables but the White contract will be very, very low on that list.

Reactions: PlayOn

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Should go 7-8YRs with Drake.

High-end skillset. Just needs to continue to improve his skating and overall consistency.

Offer him 5-6M x 8YRs. Would be hard for him to turn down 40-48M coming off of his ELC.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

High-end skillset. Just needs to continue to improve his skating and overall consistency.

Offer him 5-6M x 8YRs. Would be hard for him to turn down 40-48M coming off of his ELC.

I would love it and its a perfect situation for both the Sens and Drake to take a bit of risk out of the equation, and still be fair to both parties in the long term.

Hes not a 6m/yr player yet by any means - but its not crazy to suggest that he could prove to be worth 7-8m/yr over the next couple of seasons if hes still getting top line duties. If he doesnt continue to progress as expected, at worst hes likely a 4-5m/yr secondary scorer.

Theres an adequate amount of risk/reward for both sides to say yes to this kind of deal.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
These are getting ridiculous again as everything ties back to White.

Let's say the Senators trade White. Does that mean every Senators negotiation now won't include him? Or will the agent still say, "Remember when you signed White? We feel our player scores more than him so we want $7M."?

When does it end? Contracts are not going to be based off White's contract - end of story. It doesn't work that way just like it doesn't work that way for any contract negotiation. There will be loads of variables but the White contract will be very, very low on that list.

Sorry … your simply not significant enough to declare what contracts will be sued as internal comps. Agents are free to use any information they want including the same comps that justified White getting they money (that everyone thought was a good deal) in the first place. There are 100’s of posters here who argued that $4.75 for a 41PT 22 year old was a great deal. The cap is the same as what it was when he signed that deal. Baths numbers are better.

Brady and Chabot will be used, Brown will be used. Now maybe White’s play is so bad that PD can disqualify it like perhaps what may have happened in the Brown deal. I’d assume he has a counter to any ask using the White comp but the players in the room will all want that type of money.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sorry … your simply not significant enough to declare what contracts will be sued as internal comps. Agents are free to use any information they want including the same comps that justified White getting they money (that everyone thought was a good deal) in the first place. There are 100’s of posters here who argued that $4.75 for a 41PT 22 year old was a great deal. The cap is the same as what it was when he signed that deal. Baths numbers are better.

Brady and Chabot will be used, Brown will be used. Now maybe White’s play is so bad that PD can disqualify it like perhaps what may have happened in the Brown deal. I’d assume he has a counter to any ask using the White comp but the players in the room will all want that type of money.

Here's the problem Sweatred.... you're not significant enough to determine what those comparables are either. Yet you pound on this subject daily. You pretty much just dismissed @OD99 opinion due to hisbeing a mere fan, but without any credentials beyond being a mere fan yourself, believe your opinion is on point and matters?

Do you recognize the hypocrisy in that?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Bridge him, if everything goes right they will not be able to pay them all. Make the big deals later when you find out who will stay and who is worth what. With that crazy goalie contract+white and Chabot the cap and money goes fast. Everyone cant make over 5 million
If he has problems in a full season against all the teams you would be stuck with a stinky contract
then one of Norris or Jimmy will have to be on the move .
There is going to be tough choices and they are not even good yet. If Jimmy isn't a point per game guy they are in for trouble

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad