Player Discussion Drake Batherson (RW) - Part II

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Sorry … your simply not significant enough to declare what contracts will be sued as internal comps. Agents are free to use any information they want including the same comps that justified White getting they money (that everyone thought was a good deal) in the first place. There are 100’s of posters here who argued that $4.75 for a 41PT 22 year old was a great deal. The cap is the same as what it was when he signed that deal. Baths numbers are better.

Brady and Chabot will be used, Brown will be used. Now maybe White’s play is so bad that PD can disqualify it like perhaps what may have happened in the Brown deal. I’d assume he has a counter to any ask using the White comp but the players in the room will all want that type of money.

"You're"

You are better than that - really going at me for not being an NHL insider?

Answer the question. If the Sens trade or buyout White how long do agents get to use his contract as THE comparable?

If Tkachuk signs a bridge for $4.5M does that become the new benchmark that all contracts are based off?

There are plenty of contracts that show players are under paid...even on the Sens they could reference Brown. Contracts are negotiated using examples from all over the NHL, not just the same NHL team players.

Anyway, not looking to do the sad-go-round with you on White so if you are stuck on his contract as the holy comparable have at it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Bath isn’t best friends with anyone on the team so he’s not a comparable.

Now Sokolov being friends with Batherson will be great for HIS contract negotiations.

He and Norris will get what White got, seems simple. It’s the ‘besties’ contract.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Batherson 6 years @ 4.1M would be my offer.

He hasn't proven much yet, but still gets 24M guaranteed. If he starts being quite good in 2-3 years sens get a good contract for a couple years when they are likely trying to compete.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

He hasn't proven much yet, but still gets 24M guaranteed. If he starts being quite good in 2-3 years sens get a good contract for a couple years when they are likely trying to compete.

and what would you do if he didn’t sign it ?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I like that. It's fair to him, and fair to the team.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Another possible Batherson comparable

Batherson has had better numbers in the AHL than Kyrou or Comtois.. That's great but not sure it translates to $ although it does show high end potential. I could see him getting 2x~3 or a Colin White type 6 year deal; maybe 6x5.
Batherson
upload_2021-8-9_19-49-34.png

Kyrou
upload_2021-8-9_19-50-27.png

Comtois
upload_2021-8-9_19-51-51.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Yak

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
2 x 3 mill

6x 4.5 mill feels right. A lot of potential there.

I don't really see why he would sign that for his own good. Certainly would be a great contract for us but doesn't make much sense for him to lock himself up for his prime at that salary.

The guy was on a 25 goal 50 point pace during his first full NHL season and will get more points much like Norris, Tkachuk and Stutzle as they become better and better and more consistent.

Let's say he signs 2x3, then I think he gets 7+ on his next contract.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I don't really see why he would sign that for his own good. Certainly would be a great contract for us but doesn't make much sense for him to lock himself up for his prime at that salary.

The guy was on a 25 goal 50 point pace during his first full NHL season and will get more points much like Norris, Tkachuk and Stutzle as they become better and better and more consistent.

Let's say he signs 2x3, then I think he gets 7+ on his next contract.

Hopefully we sign him for 6x5--he will be a steal soon.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think if Sens are smart they lock him up long term now. His 34 points in 56 games is a 50 point pace. He should improve on that.

I would shoot for 6 years at $5 per. That would be a bargain in the later years.

My guess is the player would think that’s a bargain too for the club and choose not to sign that contract.

I think we see something like 2 x $5.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Lmao 2 years 5 mil per? No way.

I wish you were around when everyone justified White at $4.75 x6 … I guess we will see. Bath is a big body who sacrifices his body and plays DJ hockey. He’s worth $5. He could easily outscore Brady next year…. And every year.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah Bath,has shown much much more than White ever has...For term we may have to be over 6 mil ...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah Bath,has shown much much more than White ever has...For term we may have to be over 6 mil ...

Thats why I think they settle on some sort of 2 year plan… if he goes south they can walk and if he blows the league up he’s worth paying anyway - he’s the only RW signed Beyond 2022.

This is a team that valued Dadonov at $5.. clearly Bath is better than what we hoped to get from Dad who we gave $15 million too.

It’s a joke to pay him less than White. I wouldn’t be surprised to see $10-15+ for 2-3 years for Bath.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Thats why I think they settle on some sort of 2 year plan… if he goes south they can walk and if he blows the league up he’s worth paying anyway - he’s the only RW signed Beyond 2022.

This is a team that valued Dadonov at $5.. clearly Bath is better than what we hoped to get from Dad who we have $15 million too.

It’s a joke to pay him less than White. I wouldn’t be surprised to see $10-15+ for 2-3 years for Bath.
EM painted himself into that corner,unfortunately...No player is giving him any hometown discount any longer,he has drained that well completely

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
EM painted himself into that corner,unfortunately...No player is giving him any hometown discount any longer,he has drained that well completely

Not many players give Ottawa a “home town” discount … it’s more of a “over pay me to play here” price.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Not many players give Ottawa a “home town” discount … it’s more of a “over pay me to play here” price.
Most players want two things....Money and a chance at a cup...Ottawa never spends any money ,so we never really have either...This is and will continue to be the problem here..

You cant spend just at the cap floor for almost a decade ,and expect anyone to take you seriously

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Most players want two things....Money and a chance at a cup...Ottawa never spends any money ,so we never really have either...This is and will continue to be the problem here..

You cant spend just at the cap floor for almost a decade ,and expect anyone to take you seriously

Naaa. Most players want money. Most players before they have made $25 mill will take money over winning… only the players with tonnes of cash will cherry pick winning teams.

EK signed on for 2? years of “winning “ and 6 years of a rebuild. He knew what he was doing … he took money and sun. If players wanted winning they wouldn’t sign 8 year deals … team hit a down cycle before half that contract expires.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Naaa. Most players want money. Most players before they have made $25 mill will take money over winning… only the players with tonnes of cash will cherry pick winning teams.

EK signed on for 2? years of “winning “ and 6 years of a rebuild. He knew what he was doing … he took money and sun.
They generally go hand and hand...To win you need to spend ...We dont so the point is moot

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
They generally go hand and hand...To win you need to spend ...We dont so the point is moot

Not really …. Winning and spending are independent for a player. When a 29 year old signs a 8 year deal with a team deep into a competitive cycle they are hoping for 1-2 years of a cup chance and a solid retirement buyout during the rebuild that is coming. Get paid $24 million to stay home from 34-37 years old.
the Tulo/Jays contract is a classic example that plays out in hockey too.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Not really …. Winning and spending are independent for a player. When a 29 year old sings a 8 year deal with a team deep into a competitive cycle they are hoping for 1-2 years of a cup chance and a solid retirement buyout during the rebuild that is coming. Get paid $24 million to stay home from 34-37 year sold.
the Tulo/Jays contract is a classic example that plays out in hockey too.
You cant win much on a budget,take this off season...Did we have an actual plan???Or was it to make it look like we were in every decent player ,and come up empty handed as per the usual???Two plug defenders dont scream like we are trying to make a push to me,Iam sure a guy like BT will be thinking the same

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad