Post-Game Talk: Draisatl vs. Matheson. Why are you so pissy?

Which side are you on?

• Total voters

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
and the Journal puts out a hack piece to defend their boy and "train" McDrai.

Yeah, I just read the piece by Staples and listened to the clip from Ferraro. The problem isn't that Connor and Drai are dodging questions but that the reporters are looking for sound bites and not trying to get to know the players and the team. They treat the Oilers as adversaries rather than average people.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Yeah, I just read the piece by Staples and listened to the clip from Ferraro. The problem isn't that Connor and Drai are dodging questions but that the reporters are looking for sound bites and not trying to get to know the players and the team. They treat the Oilers as adversaries rather than average people.

Professional trolls

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Part of the issue is changing from dressing room interviews to these press conference style Q and A’s. No chance to just chat with the player afterwards anymore, and gain their trust, and smooth over any issues. Hopefully they can get back to that at some point.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Matheson is getting completely trashed on social media about Laraque's story. It's been on Twitter for a few days and has made it's way over to reddit on the Oilers and hockey subreddits.

If you are human garbage and do shitty things, lay low instead of bringing attention to yourself.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Georges Laraques job was to punch people in the face. He proceeded to punch a guy in the face (remember, that what he's paid to do) because he was told that that guy (who is trying to get paid to punch people in the face, potentially lowering Laraques face punching value) was talking about him.

I'm uncertain what high and mighty tangent you're going on, but I don't think you're communicating it the way you think you are.
Must be a different language.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Matheson is getting completely trashed on social media about Laraque's story. It's been on Twitter for a few days and has made it's way over to reddit on the Oilers and hockey subreddits.

If you are human garbage and do shitty things, lay low instead of bringing attention to yourself.

But what about his feelings!!!! He was just doing his job, people should lay off him, it's tough leeching off of other people.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Part of the issue is changing from dressing room interviews to these press conference style Q and A’s. No chance to just chat with the player afterwards anymore, and gain their trust, and smooth over any issues. Hopefully they can get back to that at some point.
Or it would give Drai a chance to give the old fart a well deserved Nugey.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
No, I’m saying he shouldn’t have punched him in the face because of another windbag.

So tough guy fights wannabe tough guy because old man says he talked some shit. Do you really think he didn't talk to him on the ice before they scrapped?

This isn't an office setting, it's a sport that actively pushed face punching for a long time.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Apparently after the presser yesterday Matheson apologized to Koskinen about his line of questioning earlier this year.
Yeah, I tweeted about that interaction a couple of days ago. Quite a favorable response to my tweet (although my grammar sucks) answering to one media guy defending Jim M.
Screenshot (1461).png

Not patting myself on the back but the way he treated Kostco in that presser was disgraceful and seemed to fly under the radar. Many felt the same way.
Screenshot (1460)_LI.jpg

Reactions: oilers'72

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yeah, I tweeted about that interaction a couple of days ago. Quite a favorable response to my tweet (although my grammar sucks) answering to one media guy defending Jim M. View attachment 500132
Not patting myself on the back but the way he treated Kostco in that presser was disgraceful and seemed to fly under the radar. Many felt the same way.
View attachment 500134
That's a female I believe.

Rod Phillips daughter.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
So tough guy fights wannabe tough guy because old man says he talked some shit. Do you really think he didn't talk to him on the ice before they scrapped?

This isn't an office setting, it's a sport that actively pushed face punching for a long time.
So you are saying they have no point at all in this discussion?

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
Teams are crazy for subjecting their players to this. Their job is to play hockey. The reporters cover the game. Interviews add nothing.

If anything, press interviews should be limited to once a month.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Teams are crazy for subjecting their players to this. Their job is to play hockey. The reporters cover the game. Interviews add nothing.

Should be the coach daily and the players post game only IMO.

The daily player pressers are where the problems start. There isn't anything to talk about other than narrative building for the morons to write their columns.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
The problem isn't Mattheson calling Draisaitl pissy, it's more about setting Draisailt up to act pissy, and to throw snowflakes at management rather then to ask them the hard questions.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

So reporters are calling the fights?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

I mean I agree on the essence of this, but athletes are like royalty these days. There is no chance a team would or could keep them away from the media.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Like, Rishaug also said that Draisaitl used to be more dismissive but got better this year until the losing streak...because he worked on it.

Doesn't he realize that if players have to work on not hating you, that maybe you are doing something wrong?
Some of it is just flat out dislike. I used to see the same thing on this board. People dislking Drai for one reason or another. Too quiet, Doesn't smile enough, reserved, too serious.

In a similar vein Toews used to the least popular star in Chicago. "Too serious, doesn't crack up enough" jebus, I take a serious attitude every time.

Drai is different, not from here, in a lot of ways those kinds of differences of being foreign makes somebody an odd interview, or unlike the rest etc. But for people to dislike on the basis of that, I've always felt is pretty silly, myopic.

For the media to openly talk among themselves about Draisaitl, and actually disclose that they do that is confirmation of triangulation, it is blatantly unprofessional. In the media vs star relationship the pressers are subservient. So that they are in effect dissing on higher ups in the food chain. But a guy like Matheson figures he's more important and prestiged than Draisaitl. He really thinks that. So I wonder who should be laughing and gossiping and pointing fingers about a guy that keeps saying "I'm in the HHOF" everybody has read Mathesons drivel, it has nothing to do with his writing, or him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Some of it is just flat out dislike. I used to see the same thing on this board. People dislking Drai for one reason or another. Too quiet, Doesn't smile enough, reserved, too serious.

In a similar vein Toews used to the least popular star in Chicago. "Too serious, doesn't crack up enough" jebus, I take a serious attitude every time.

Drai is different, not from here, in a lot of ways those kinds of differences of being foreign makes somebody an odd interview, or unlike the rest etc. But for people to dislike on the basis of that, I've always felt is pretty silly, myopic.

For the media to openly talk among themselves about Draisaitl, and actually disclose that they do that is confirmation of triangulation, it is blatantly unprofessional. In the media vs star relationship the pressers are subservient. So that they are in effect dissing on higher ups in the food chain. But a guy like Matheson figures he's more important and prestiged than Draisaitl. He really thinks that. So I wonder who should be laughing and gossiping and pointing fingers about a guy that keeps saying "I'm in the HHOF" everybody has read Mathesons drivel, it has nothing to do with his writing, or him.
Its funny because McDavid is even more serious and shit.
But McDavid is from here I guess. He is a good old Canadian boy.
The way Canadian media treats Euro players so differently has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad