Post-Game Talk: Draisatl vs. Matheson. Why are you so pissy?

Which side are you on?

• Total voters

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not sure how much you've been following but this is where I will point out something. Last week the media, tired of no games being played and nothing to report were clamoring for Holland to hold a presser, well, to talk about nothing, just something nothing to write about I guess in lieu of games.

So this week Matheson goes to the presser and even from reports of others there, was looking to get into it with somebody connected to the team to stir some news. So he wages with Drai, stirs, provokes, and being that Leon's response wasn't being worthy enough continues to push going to the extent of asking why he was pissy, and then saying "yeah you are"

This is one of the worst examples lately of media making the news. Matheson PLANNED this escalation. Plotted it. He knew it would be news the rest of the week.

People ask why players don't want to do this media availability?

Its short straw stuff.
Its endless.
Players had doing media availability because sports media is so toxic they twist and turn anything anyway they can so players are coached into exactly what to say.
So you have these players giving nothing answers cause thats all they give so the media pushes and tries to trick you into giving something they can use.
Then the media gets mad they have nothing substantial or legit to talk about.
Maybe if in the first place sports "journalists" didn't try to create stories, and attack players or twist and change their words and context just for a story....we could have fun players who just speak their minds about the game.

Is it any surprise that some of the best players interviewed here in the past decade have been guys like Ryan Jones and Perlini who really don't matter at all so they feel more comfortable to talk?

Reactions: oilers'72

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Its endless.
Players had doing media availability because sports media is so toxic they twist and turn anything anyway they can so players are coached into exactly what to say.
So you have these players giving nothing answers cause thats all they give so the media pushes and tries to trick you into giving something they can use.
Then the media gets mad they have nothing substantial or legit to talk about.
Maybe if in the first place sports "journalists" didn't try to create stories, and attack players or twist and change their words and context just for a story....we could have fun players who just speak their minds about the game.

Is it any surprise that some of the best players interviewed here in the past decade have been guys like Ryan Jones and Perlini who really don't matter at all so they feel more comfortable to talk?

To add to this - when Rishaug went to bat for Matheson in the mandate he goes "Draisaitl is kind of dismissive of our questions, and believe me it gets talked about among the media members in the room."

So basically it was pre-meditated as you said. Once again, something happens that these jackasses don't like and their reaction isn't "is there something we might be doing to elicit this kind of response?" instead its "HE NEEDS TO ANSWER OUR QUESITONS BETTER!"

Stupid, ignorant idiots.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
To add to this - when Rishaug went to bat for Matheson in the mandate he goes "Draisaitl is kind of dismissive of our questions, and believe me it gets talked about among the media members in the room."

So basically it was pre-meditated as you said. Once again, something happens that these jackasses don't like and their reaction isn't "is there something we might be doing to elicit this kind of response?" instead its "HE NEEDS TO ANSWER OUR QUESITONS BETTER!"

Stupid, ignorant idiots.
Like, Rishaug also said that Draisaitl used to be more dismissive but got better this year until the losing streak...because he worked on it.

Doesn't he realize that if players have to work on not hating you, that maybe you are doing something wrong?

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
This deserves a bigger like :laugh:
59349318.jpg

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Proportionate consequences based on circumstances and context. Example, you work in an accounting firm, someone talks shit about you, you don't beat them up if you want to keep your job. On the flip side you're a professional hockey player, who's a 3rd-4th line tough guy, someone talks shit about you, you DO beat them up if you want to keep your job.

Context matters.
Context like I get paid a lot of money to beat people up, so it’s ok to go off the handle on occasion?

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Why are you so pissy? Have you seen the results lately moron? Is Leon supposes to be happy during this train wreck? What a childish question.
^ One of the best posts! tons of them backing Leon here, and rightfully so, but this one is my favorite. An ahole, coming across to expose his mentality of a 5 OR 6 yr old.

Reactions: elmeroil

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Context like I get paid a lot of money to beat people up, so it’s ok to go off the handle on occasion?

Georges Laraques job was to punch people in the face. He proceeded to punch a guy in the face (remember, that what he's paid to do) because he was told that that guy (who is trying to get paid to punch people in the face, potentially lowering Laraques face punching value) was talking about him.

I'm uncertain what high and mighty tangent you're going on, but I don't think you're communicating it the way you think you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: frag2 and Skar

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

yes exactly, now you're getting it.

whether you agree with the culture of the game or not, or the moral implications promoting violence, is irrelevant. Georges got paid to beat people up, he literally did exactly what he was paid to do.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
yes exactly, now you're getting it.

whether you agree with the culture of the game or not, or the moral implications promoting violence, is irrelevant. Georges got paid to beat people up, he literally did exactly what he was paid to do.
Yep and he was baited into it by a piece of shit reporter.
The fun fact is AM and others acting like he "went off the handle"
Has no one actually watched the fight?

They both agreed to fight, its not like Georges jumped the guy. But the ONLY reason the nothing fight happened is cause Matheson though it would be funny. Like wtf.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013

An enforcer trying to get a spot on an NHL team fought one of the top enforcers in the league. Pretty standard thing in the NHL at the time. No going off the handle involved.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Apparently after the presser yesterday Matheson apologized to Koskinen about his line of questioning earlier this year.

Was going to post this as well. Possibly JM reached out to the team to find out why some of the guys (including Drai) were acting towards him that way. Could it be that they told him the room was pissed over this comment. If so, it's a good sign that the team has his back regardless of how good or bad we think Kosko is.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I think the point of the Laraque story isn't to assess the moral content of the situation in general; it's to show what type of person Matheson is. We all know the sort of person who makes up a story to start a fight between two other people for his own amusement. . . . Wait a minute, no we don't--what kind of grown ass man does that? You'd call a kid who did that a punk, let alone an adult man. The point is, Matheson is a weasel.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Was going to post this as well. Possibly JM reached out to the team to find out why some of the guys (including Drai) were acting towards him that way. Could it be that they told him the room was pissed over this comment. If so, it's a good sign that the team has his back regardless of how good or bad we think Kosko is.
It wouldn't surprise me if they did.
I mean, yes most of us don't like him and social media is ablaze with it. But players mostly avoid social media for a reason. Bringing that to the players face like that was ridiculous

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I think the point of the Laraque story isn't to assess the moral content of the situation in general; it's to show what type of person Matheson is. We all know the sort of person who makes up a story to start a fight between two other people for his own amusement. . . . Wait a minute, no we don't--what kind of grown ass man does that? You'd call a kid who did that a punk, let alone an adult man. The point is, Matheson is a weasel.

The point I get from it is that Matheson knowingly tries to get reactions out of players to generate buzz and possibly create a story. Whatever the case he's extremely unprofessional and if a result from this whole incident is that the media is less likely to take potshots at players in interviews or articles or whatever, simply to stir up some drama, or create a story, then that's a small victory. Also the gaslighting from the "journalists" calling Draisaitl unprofessional when Matheson has a history of being an unprofessional shit disturber has been called out pretty hard as well. Just because you're a talking head in the media doesn't mean you have moral authority over the situation, even though these media heads have a chance to control the narrative which most of them did in a self serving way to defend Matheson. Whatever the case most of the fanbase has not been fooled and has a pretty good understanding of the types of things the media will do to generate a story.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Apparently after the presser yesterday Matheson apologized to Koskinen about his line of questioning earlier this year.

Is that sarcasm? He seems incredibly devoid of self awareness. Maybe someone had to tell him with sock puppets "Jim, you were very disrepsectful to Mikko...youre gutless to Ken Holland who players like Leon see as the real problem for failing to fix issues. Jim do you understand? Jim..you should apologize as a starting step. Jim do you understand?"

Reactions: MikeGrier99

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
An enforcer trying to get a spot on an NHL team fought one of the top enforcers in the league. Pretty standard thing in the NHL at the time. No going off the handle involved.

Laraque had nothing to prove. He was the premiment alpha in the league at the time and George himself confirmed Jim was trying to goad him into the fight saying that shit was being talked about him. God knows what Matheson even said could have fabricated something completely out of line which any person would have been offended by.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Agree...

I just re-watched that segment and it's so offside it isn't funny. I mean we have a goalie who:
  • Has had streaks where he's completely taken the team on his back while Smith was injured, only to...
  • Collapse and absolutely sewer the team's chances to win...
  • On a team that frankly isn't that strong defensively
  • And he finished the year (more or less) with an absolutely demoralizing 4 goals on 4 shots
So he's probably praying to be traded away from the Oilers so he can get a fresh start.

Nevertheless it doesn't happen, so he steels himself up to prove everybody wrong in Edmonton.

And then he's doing media availability in the F'n PRESEASON and he has Matheson reminding him how terrible he was last year (that's bad) but WORSE, he's implying that his own teammates didn't want him back.

I don't care who you are, or how much you think you derive confidence from within... but that was absolutely demoralizing. And absolutely unwarranted.... the guy hadn't even played a game in the season yet and Matheson already put him behind the 8-ball.

member 145483

There is a real simple solution to this crap. Make the interviews happen on the ice.

If the media bitches too much about how the players aren't 'media savvy enough', they can show how they are savvy enough to write about these players by playing them.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
There is a real simple solution to this crap. Make the interviews happen on the ice.

If the media bitches too much about how the players aren't 'media savvy enough', they can show how they are savvy enough to write about these players by playing them.
The solution is for the guy in his 70's to retire and leave the work for someone still on their game. He's not some literary genius writing great novels. He's a sports writer picking fights with players.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Stupid, ignorant idiots.
And believe me, Rishaug, I'm pretty sure the players talk about you guys too. And have a good laugh while they're doing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad