Draisaitl. Trade him or Keep him?

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Center depth never hurts. Keep him and let him play the wing. Great on the PK and adds some size.

You don't trade elite prospects, especially those who seem to be a good fit in the locker room.

^ this.

I think most people are trying to trade him because he's a C and we have RNH and McDavid. Doesn't the Sharks lineup have like 6 natural centres in their Top 9?

I would love it if our depth up the middle was strengthened. Haven't seen a competent group of C's in Oilers jerseys since the cup run. lol.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
its impossible that the oilers end up keeping all 3 of macD, RNH and LD.

Obviously they keep MacD, but RNH and LD are worth way more as first or second line centres elsewhere than they are worth to the oilers as 2nd/3rd line centres here, or 2nd line centre and 1st or 2nd line winger.

Plus the oilers have glaring holes in net and on d, so having three 1st line centres would be wasteful and useless.

If LD and rnh were the same age then imo LD would easily be the keeper, but imo the oilers need to keep the more experienced player. Gimpy arms, injury history and all.

I'd love to be able to keep LD and develop him but having an 18 and 19 yr old in the 1,2 spots would be too oilerish for even the oilers.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
He hasn't done anything consistent at the NHL level yet. No one knows if he'll be anything more than a #3/4 center, if that. We all want to believe that he will someday be a top 6 center in the NHL. but he is still far from it... Sam Gagner has done more at the second line center position... and that's about all I have to say about that. We need less holes in our d-core. Nothing amazing, just a better presence in front of our own net, and more o-zone starts. a defensive defenseman that can help Fayne carry some of the load. no more QB wannabe's. just guys that can take some of the load off other pairs. Nurse is on the way, we could still use a good first pass....

Any good shutdown defenders with a good first pass available in free agency? because we don't have to trade futures to get what we need. If Draisaitl proves to be any worth to anyone, it won't be this season... it might be the 2016-2017 season.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003

Obviously they keep MacD, but RNH and LD are worth way more as first or second line centres elsewhere than they are worth to the oilers as 2nd/3rd line centres here, or 2nd line centre and 1st or 2nd line winger.

Plus the oilers have glaring holes in net and on d, so having three 1st line centres would be wasteful and useless.

If LD and rnh were the same age then imo LD would easily be the keeper, but imo the oilers need to keep the more experienced player. Gimpy arms, injury history and all.

I'd love to be able to keep LD and develop him but having an 18 and 19 yr old in the 1,2 spots would be too oilerish for even the oilers.

Huh?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Exactly. Why does this thread even exist.

The team is not dealing from a position of strength and won't get anywhere near equal value from any trades for its players.

This thread exists because this team still has some glaring holes on it. And Draisaitl, while a promising prospect, isn't any better than Brayden Schenn was when the Kings traded him to bolster their lineup.

We have to move somebody with value.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France

It wouldn't be useless, but there's a point that it's wasteful. You're not going to be making the most of Draisaitl's ability by playing him on the 3rd line. You're leaving potential impact on the table by playing him there. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be effective there, or that that should cause us to get less than full value for him, but it is somewhat wasteful.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Easily? Why? Because he's bigger and stuff?

RNH at the same age scored 52 points in 62 NHL games while LD, well we know how that went.

Draisaitl is an intriguing player, but he's starting to become overrated around here. Shiny new toy syndrome.

Anyway, why do the Oilers have to trade either right now? Draisaitl's not due for a new contract for 2 years and RNH is locked into a fairly reasonable contract for the next 5 seasons and is their most experienced top 6 center plus the Oilers don't have enough proven center depth to be able to afford dealing either.

They have other assets to use towards filling some of the roster holes. Filling a hole by creating another isn't the answer. The Oilers aren't in a position to be making that blockbuster trade quite yet.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
This is truly not the year to make any crazy moves.

We finally have competent coach & GM, draft McDavid, and now we'll actually get a real assessment of the roster. See how this roster responds to McLellan, and then make a move next offseason.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I like LD. If there isn't a move available to significantly improve the roster by dealing him, you don't do it.

Having said that, I was musing....

With the talk that Arizona is more interested in a C than D, perhaps a conversation around LD for the 3rd?

Sure, it would be nice to have Hanifin in the stable but getting back to immediate needs...
With Chicago's apparent cap issues, could they be convinced that them drafting Hanifin and getting, say, Marincin and a 2nd, for Seabrook make sense for their organization? Marincin would be a stop gap for a short period while evaluating Hanifin...on the cheap.

The trade becomes LD, Marincin and a 2nd for Seabrook.

With a strategic move or two, the 16th, if still available, could be added to something to move up enough to get Provorov, perhaps, still giving the Oil a top defensive prospect?

Of course if the 16th can be better utilized to get more immediate help, by all means use it.

Just speculating....

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
It wouldn't be useless, but there's a point that it's wasteful. You're not going to be making the most of Draisaitl's ability by playing him on the 3rd line. You're leaving potential impact on the table by playing him there. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be effective there, or that that should cause us to get less than full value for him, but it is somewhat wasteful.

Ok I see what you are saying. At some point I agree you maybe correct, however there isnt a hockey mind in the world that can look at this team and players and project what these kids will be in three years so trading them now would be foolish. In addition some of that three year process will be players on different lines, different combinations, different positions like wing. I think we need to see what that looks like before we sell the farm!

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I like LD. If there isn't a move available to significantly improve the roster by dealing him, you don't do it.

With Chicago's apparent cap issues, could they be convinced that them drafting Hanifin and getting, say, Marincin and a 2nd, for Seabrook make sense for their organization? Marincin would be a stop gap for a short period while evaluating Hanifin...on the cheap.

The trade becomes LD, Marincin and a 2nd for Seabrook.

That's a shocking price for to pay a guy who is one year from UFA.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Here's a little something I wrote up for LD:
http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/06/02/memorial-cup-reminder-leon-draisaitl-kinda-good/

I really like him as a prospect and I hope he does well for himself in Edmonton. I know you guys currently have quite the logjam at center with all these kids who are full of potential and another one on the way. Is there a chance one of them is moved to the wing?

Thanks!

Hasnt been discussed in depth yet or mentioned by mgmt, but in my personal opinion he will be switched to the wing. Great size and good puck protection along the boards. He has the IQ and skill to move the puck anywhere on the ice. He has good straight ahead speed and wingers dont need as much lateral agility as centers. He could become a Hossa lite winger and a great addition to the top 6 which needs size

top 6 would then have 3 playmakers (Mcdavid, LD, RNH) and 3 snipers (Hall, Yak, Eberle)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I hope PHX sees Strome is alot of hype and goes for LD for the 3rd. We get Hanifin and Leafs pick the lemon in Strome (blinded by hometown bias)

D-core of Hanifin, Nurse, Klefbom with 2 elite centers

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
I had a dream that or center depth was:

Mario Lemieux :amazed:
Pavel Datzyuk :naughty:
Anze Kopitar :D

Exactly! In 4-5 years from now, those guys will be tearing up the NHL. Imagine TM being able to throw anyone of those guys over the boards, that will be relentless.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Exactly! In 4-5 years from now, those guys will be tearing up the NHL. Imagine TM being able to throw anyone of those guys over the boards, that will be relentless.

"we want to take Mcdavid away from the tougher matchups, lets just put Draisaitl out there" :amazed::laugh:

Oilerz

May 10, 2005
River City. E-Town
Listening to Chiarelli on Oilers Now at 1:35 today, I got the distinct impression that Leon is not going anywhere. he has the size and the smarts and talent the likes of which do not come around too often. I will be glad to keep him. I think Chia also has the talent to procure the pieces we need without giving up the likes of a Driasatl. Just maybe not this year, which disapoints me, as I need some playoffs.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

RNH at the same age scored 52 points in 62 NHL games while LD, well we know how that went.

Draisaitl is an intriguing player, but he's starting to become overrated around here. Shiny new toy syndrome.

Anyway, why do the Oilers have to trade either right now? Draisaitl's not due for a new contract for 2 years and RNH is locked into a fairly reasonable contract for the next 5 seasons and is their most experienced top 6 center plus the Oilers don't have enough proven center depth to be able to afford dealing either.

They have other assets to use towards filling some of the roster holes. Filling a hole by creating another isn't the answer. The Oilers aren't in a position to be making that blockbuster trade quite yet.

Looking at the LD threads I would say the exact opposite.

Penciled in for a full year in AHL, 3rd/4th line, not NHL ready, not impressive despite tearing it up in junior (mvp).

He's a freakin 3rd overall, expectations should be very high. Sedin, Duchene and Toews were 3rd overalls... Considering he's a Euro I'd say his value has not changed one bit since the draft, and 3rd overalls should fetch a hefty prize.

He should only get traded if a really big piece is coming back.

His only problem is that he was thrown to the wolves on an EDM under Eakins which was doing an epic nose dive down to probably the lowest point in these last 9 years...

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site

Rnh also got worse after that

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
first line centers need ice time, good linemates, pp time, and a lot of mins to stay effective. Plus you can't really get 100% out of them if they are all on the ice at the same time because there aren't enough pucks to go around.
The oil are far better off with two first line centers and a number one man who can play 27 mins a night.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
first line centers need ice time, good linemates, pp time, and a lot of mins to stay effective. Plus you can't really get 100% out of them if they are all on the ice at the same time because there aren't enough pucks to go around.
The oil are far better off with two first line centers and a number one man who can play 27 mins a night.

For sure but injuries happen and players can be moved to the wing. Montreals GM called every team with a big centre looking to make a trade. The asking price was Price. You either draft them or they become unobtainable so let's not give ours away.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Center depth never hurts. Keep him and let him play the wing. Great on the PK and adds some size.

You don't trade elite prospects, especially those who seem to be a good fit in the locker room.

probably the best course of action, but at what point do we actually balance the lineup? We've gone, what, 4 years now with an imbalance roster, just waiting for it right itself, because 8 or 9 players were 'too good to trade' because 'you just don't trade a player like that'.

this refusal to move anything has been part of the problem. I've said it before, when you have 5 all star shortstops and no catcher, what do you do? Not saying we trade Draisaitl, but it if not him then who? Someone everyone is in love with is going out the door.

There will be point when a socalled untouchable will be traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad