Draisaitl. Trade him or Keep him?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Trade... we as fans have a bad habit of only wanting to trade guys when their value is low... and then keeping them when they play unsustainably well

Draisaitl is the toast of the (Mem Cup) town after his performance... it will be YEARS before his popularity/interest reach this kind of peak again... if ever... do not forget that we saw this player in the NHL not six months ago and his slow progression to stardom was obvious even with Eakins Effect factored in

I love Drai... I do... he is the perfect 2C for the West... but we have lucked into a once in a generation talent who pushes our EXISTING 1C down into the two spot... that may never happen to this franchise ever again and we have to take advantage... RNH + McD is a Stanley Cup winning center group... why wait for a 19 year old to potentially one day join them when we can make the push to win today using him as the key asset

Ask DAL if they regret trading Iginla... sure they missed out on some individual hardware but they won a Cup as a result... something the Flames under Iggy never did

It is a risk but it is a risk I take happily knowing our window is the next five years

It's not that I'm against the idea, but if we're not getting a Seth Jones, OEL, Dougie Hamilton, etc. back in return (and yes I know we'd have to add in those deals), I just don't have a ton of interest in making a deal right now.

Let him develop a year in the AHL and get some time in the NHL playing next to McDavid or RNH say to put up some numbers. Eventually a team is going to get desperate for a young no.1 center type.

I'm willing to trade him, but I'd like to know what we have first. The Dallas-Calgary situation isn't the same because Dallas was considerably further along in their Cup aspirations, whereas the Oilers are still to a degree starting at ground zero next year as its McDavid's first year.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Keep him and groom him into a big shutdown forward. The Oil are playing with house money re: their young C depth, especially considering they're going to be adding McDavid in a month.

Play all of them, see where the chips fall. Then make a decision on what you're going to do.

SchultzSquared*

It's not that I'm against the idea, but if we're not getting a Seth Jones, OEL, Dougie Hamilton, etc. back in return (and yes I know we'd have to add in those deals), I just don't have a ton of interest in making a deal right now.

Those are not even the kinds of D I want to target... I want (minus contract status) a Seabrook/Burns/Byfuglien type... someone who will help TODAY... but at 28-30 is young enough to carry the load for the next half decade

Let him develop a year in the AHL and get some time in the NHL playing next to McDavid or RNH say to put up some numbers. Eventually a team is going to get desperate for a young no.1 center type.

But I think today if Chia told every GM he was on the block... each one would be able to point to his performance this week and go "YES I need that player"... in a year when he is maybe a PPG center in Bakersfield but has been out of the spotlight otherwise??? I don't know... think his value takes a major hit and that is just because "what have you done for me lately" has a powerful effect even on wily veteran NHL execs

I'm willing to trade him, but I'd like to know what we have first. The Dallas-Calgary situation isn't the same because Dallas was considerably further along in their Cup aspirations, whereas the Oilers are still to a degree starting at ground zero next year as its McDavid's first year.

There are a number flaws with the analogy yes... that is not the only one... but my point is we can withdraw from the Bank of the Future for now... and be both MORE competitive today and better off tomorrow

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Those are not even the kinds of D I want to target... I want (minus contract status) a Seabrook/Burns/Byfuglien type... someone who will help TODAY... but at 28-30 is young enough to carry the load for the next half decade

But I think today if Chia told every GM he was on the block... each one would be able to point to his performance this week and go "YES I need that player"... in a year when he is maybe a PPG center in Bakersfield but has been out of the spotlight otherwise??? I don't know... think his value takes a major hit and that is just because "what have you done for me lately" has a powerful effect even on wily veteran NHL execs

There are a number flaws with the analogy yes... that is not the only one... but my point is we can withdraw from the Bank of the Future for now... and be both MORE competitive today and better off tomorrow

If I'm trading Drasaitl I want a d-man who can be a big part of our D for the next 10 years. Not just "well 3 good years, followed by 2 declining years" at a 7-8 mill per salary.

I want more than that.

Honestly we can get a Byfuglien if we really wanted to using the Pittsburgh 1st + Schultz or something (even that is probably overpayment).

If we deal him I want someone coming back that makes me feel like "OK, well we got our no.1 D for the next decade", I'm willing to go bigger on the deal too to make it happen.

SchultzSquared*

If I'm trading Drasaitl I want a d-man who can be a big part of our D for the next 10 years. Not just "well 3 good years, followed by 2 declining years" at a 7-8 mill per salary.

I want more than that.

The only player who really matches that is Dougie Hamilton... and he is not coming here for Drai... probably not for any of our expendable players really because BOS needs the same thing we do... that is RD depth... Hamilton is pretty much it for them... they have an aging Seidenberg who is a lefty but plays the other side for Chara... and then Kevin Millar and a pending FA Adam McQuaid... there is not a deal we could offer them short of Hall ++ that would be worth the set back for their retool that would cause

Honestly we can get a Byfuglien if we really wanted to using the Pittsburgh 1st + Schultz or something (even that is probably overpayment).

If we deal him I want someone coming back that makes me feel like "OK, well we got our no.1 D for the next decade", I'm willing to go bigger on the deal too to make it happen.

Right... I quantified Byfuglien by saying outside of contract... yes his worth is a 1st + a bit today based on pending UFA... but a Byfuglien/Seabrook/Burns type of D signed for five years is easily worth Drai... you have to give to get... and no GM wakes up and goes "Hmm I want only fair value for my long term signed top pair D... I mean I have no reason to trade him but I will any way"... does not work like that

ivanthebad*

McD is the next Crosby, Draisaitl projecting to be another Kopitar.

Oilers future looks alot brighter with McDavid/ Draisaitl

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
There's probably only 10-15 defencemen in the league I'd trade him for.

Maybe 15-20 as i pulled that number out of my ass.

But that number may be accurate once contract term is taken into account along with health.

I'l Try a list in no particular order. This is disregarding contracts and health. So wittle it down from there.

fyi i'm not checking spelling for all the spelling police.

1. McDonaugh
2. Subban
3. Lindholm
4. Pietrangelo
5. Hedman
6. Weber
7. Jones
8. Josi
9. Duncan Keith
10. Seabrook
11. Carlson
12. Suter
13. Karlsson
14. Trouba
15. Letang
16. Hamonic
17. Giordano
18. Brodie
19. Hamilton
20. Doughty
21. Ekblad
22. Erik Johnson
23. Burns
24. Faulk
25. OEL
26. Ristoleinen

I must have missed a few too.

Doesn't assume 1-1 trade but with Draisitl as part of the package.

I don't see any viable trade to be honest.
1. team wouldn't consider trading the player. Doughty, Duncan Keith, etc.
2. There's no term left on the contract to justify the risk. Seabrook types.
3. The player is too risky health wise. Letang etc.

I think Leon remains an oiler for the time being.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think he'll be in a position to command a huge salary for several years since big guys can take some time to develop. Keep him around as long as you can like the Pens did with Staal and then make a decision.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
i know people are getting really impatient and wanting an end to the losing, but i'd really like to try to be a little more patient for a couple of more years to see what we have with Leon, Lander, Nurse, Yakimov, Brossoit and the like before making knee jerk decisions on them. no team, cap trouble or not, is going to give up one of their top d-men....

SchultzSquared*

You missed Shattenkirk also... who STL fans consider movable... he is my favorite choice because Blues fans would consider chipping in Oshie also from what they have said

Draisaitl + J. Schultz for Shattenkirk + Oshie... STL still gets a puck moving RD to help behind Pietrangelo but they fill that 2C spot for the future that is a major hole for them... we get out top pairing RD and a power forward RW for McDavid

Yakupov + PIT 1st '15 + Marincin for Lucic + Seidenberg... BOS gets a game breaking RW... we get harder to play against PLUS add a top pair LD

Lucic-RNH-Eberle
Hall-McDavid-Oshie
Pouliot-Lander-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Klinkhammer
Gazdic Pitlick

Seidenberg-Shattenkirk
Klefbom-Fayne
Ference-McQuaid

Niemi
Scrivens

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
You missed Shattenkirk also... who STL fans consider movable... he is my favorite choice because Blues fans would consider chipping in Oshie also from what they have said

Draisaitl + J. Schultz for Shattenkirk + Oshie... STL still gets a puck moving RD to help behind Pietrangelo but they fill that 2C spot for the future that is a major hole for them... we get out top pairing RD and a power forward RW for McDavid

Yakupov + PIT 1st '15 + Marincin for Lucic + Seidenberg... BOS gets a game breaking RW... we get harder to play against PLUS add a top pair LD

Lucic-RNH-Eberle
Hall-McDavid-Oshie
Pouliot-Lander-Purcell
Gazdic Pitlick

Seidenberg-Shattenkirk
Klefbom-Fayne
Ference-McQuaid

Niemi
Scrivens

I think we could do better for Yak, Marincin and Pitts' 1st. Lucic seems to be trending down and Seidenberg won't likely be that great in 2-3 years when we are ready to compete.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Good catch on Shattenkirk.

You think we could weasle

Schultz + Yakupov + Pitts 1st for Shattenkirk + Oshie?

We can add a minor piece like the late 2nd or virtually any prospect that's not Nurse or Draisitl?

hmm I'm probably getting greedy?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Lucic-RNH-Eberle
Hall-McDavid-Oshie
Pouliot-Lander-Purcell
Gazdic Pitlick

Seidenberg-Shattenkirk
Klefbom-Fayne
Ference-McQuaid

Niemi
Scrivens
We can't afford that at all. That's 47 million in forwards.

20 million in defence with Klefbom needing a raise soon.

And at least 7 in goal tending.

Thats Around 4 million extra above the cap.

I would never do that Boston trade. Lucic Is year away from Ufa and will probably wanting a few million dollar raise that we won't be able to afford

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Keep him.

Then at some point 2 or 3 years from now when we're down in a clinching or otherwise important game, you can overload your top lines:

Hall - McDavid - Draisaitl
Yakupov - RNH - Eberle

Thats like 45 Million in cap when they reach their primes.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

Lucic-RNH-Eberle
Hall-McDavid-Oshie
Pouliot-Lander-Purcell
Gazdic Pitlick

Seidenberg-Shattenkirk
Klefbom-Fayne
Ference-McQuaid

Niemi
Scrivens

Do you even watch teams other than the Oilers? Lucic is declining and is a UFA in 1 year. Seidenberg has fallen off badly and is not a top pairing dman.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
there's no pressing reason to trade him now. Even if he makes the NHL, it would be best for him to not be at center so there's no conflict of position going on.

If someone hypothetically made us an offer we couldn't refuse, then sure, that also applies to McDavid I suppose, but in reality it just isn't happeing. We aren't getting an established D for Draisaitl, even in a package, and if we are it will be someone with only a year or two of control (ie Burns). Either that or a young inconsistent D or a project. No thanks to that.

Let him build value next year.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Lucic-RNH-Eberle
Hall-McDavid-Oshie
Pouliot-Lander-Purcell
Gazdic Pitlick

Seidenberg-Shattenkirk
Klefbom-Fayne
Ference-McQuaid

Niemi
Scrivens

If we could get Shattenkirk and Oshie for that package I'd be all over it. I doubt it happens though, I think at minimum were adding the Pitts 1st.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Good catch on Shattenkirk.

You think we could weasle

Schultz + Yakupov + Pitts 1st for Shattenkirk + Oshie?

We can add a minor piece like the late 2nd or virtually any prospect that's not Nurse or Draisitl?

hmm I'm probably getting greedy?

Not a chance, some blues fans like Shatty more the Pietrangelo. I honestly wonder what it would take to pry Pitrangelo out of St. Louis. Would Yakupov, Nurse, Schultz, Pitts 1st, Edm 2nd be enough for Pietrangelo and Berglund?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Not a chance, some blues fans like Shatty more the Pietrangelo. I honestly wonder what it would take to pry Pitrangelo out of St. Louis. Would Yakupov, Nurse, Schultz, Pitts 1st, Edm 2nd be enough for Pietrangelo and Berglund?

Nope.

Shattenkirk would only be moved in a package for a legit #1C. Not a prospect.

Some Blues fans are wanting a rebuild, but that's not happening. Armstrong and Hitchcock have their jobs on the line and the team needs the playoffs to be a cap team.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Though I'm loathed to play expert on another team against their own fanbase, I'm a little surprised anyone over there thinks it's necessary to rebuild.

When you rebuild, you want young star talent to build around. Isn't that what Tarasenko and Pietrangelo are?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Just offer sheet Hamilton as a big FU to the Bruins for wanting a compensation pick. Sign him for 1 year at 7 million. If Bruins match then it puts them in an even bigger hole next off season when they have to give him a mandatory raise.

Cowboy19

Jul 19, 2013
New York, NY
Center depth never hurts. Keep him and let him play the wing. Great on the PK and adds some size.

You don't trade elite prospects, especially those who seem to be a good fit in the locker room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad