Draisaitl. Trade him or Keep him?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
There has been interesting discussion since we won McDavid as to what to do with Draisaitl.

McDavid seems to be our long term #1 guy.
RNH is locked up on a good contract to be our #2 guy.
Lander is a good option for #3 at the moment with Boggy coming, and Roy (if resigned) able to fill in during injuries.

We need help on D, and many see Leon as the most tradable asset. Do you..

A) Keep Him. Never hurts to have too much depth at C, especially with size.

B) Trade him in a package for a top pairing guy. (keep in mind we will have to add. Look at what LA added to Schenn to get Richards, and what CBJ added to Voracek to get Carter)

C) Trade him for the Hanifin pick if it's an option.

I know this subject will annoy some people, but I'm curious to see how many people are for or against trading him.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If we can package him for a top pairing dman, do it. We have good enough center depth without him, and he's our most valuable chip who's not on the team already

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Only package him for a young top pairing defensemen. We can't just package him for anyone as the thing is the oldest of our young players s 24 in Eberle he has probably 8-10 good to decent years in him and everyone else has more. We need a player who can be in his prime for as many of our young players years as possible.

I prefer to keep him since the player above likely is not coming available.

Last edited:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Keep him. He doesn't hold the value to return a top pairing defenceman.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
A

Leon in the current cap world is extremely valuable. I've read a few other teams boards and he is very respected and sought after. Teams are desperate for big strong 2 way elite playmaking centers right now.

The only way you trade Leon is as part of a package for an elite top pairing type. And only as a last resort.

Keeping Leon and improving the D Corp significantly through other assets is far preferable to losing Leon and improving the D Corp even more significantly.

Center depth is so important. Eberle, Yak, and even Hall to a much lesser extent are less important to building a successful team down the middle.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm on the fence about it. He's done absolutely nothing wrong to give me this gut feeling that his value will never be as high as it is right now.

I have no stats, and no footage to back it up by, so I understand it is a poor argument.

I do feel that if he can be part of a deal to bring back a top pairing Dman that can stick with us for a while, you have to make that deal.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I want to keep him, I think he is important part of the core because he bring a different set a tools then most of our top 6 skilled players.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
If we can package him for a top pairing dman, do it. We have good enough center depth without him, and he's our most valuable chip who's not on the team already

This. McDavid + RNH is enough up the middle don't need a 4th overall too. This team needs defenders and it needs them badly.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
A

Leon in the current cap world is extremely valuable. I've read a few other teams boards and he is very respected and sought after. Teams are desperate for big strong 2 way elite playmaking centers right now.

The only way you trade Leon is as part of a package for an elite top pairing type. And only as a last resort.

Keeping Leon and improving the D Corp significantly through other assets is far preferable to losing Leon and improving the D Corp even more significantly.

Center depth is so important. Eberle, Yak, and even Hall to a much lesser extent are less important to building a successful team down the middle.

A lot of teams would kill for scoring wingers like that, Including Pittsburgh.

Yakupov is the guy I would trade first, but we would be selling at lowest value. I'm not good with that.

Depth down the middle is great, but McDavid, RNH, Lander, Roy, Gordon will be the deepest we've been down the middle since the cup run, and once those guys develop, the deepest since the dynasty.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
A

I definitely forgot this portion of the argument to keep him he has a year burned from his ELC which is now ticking. He has essentially proven nothing so it would be hard to land a top pairing young D that fits with our top assets windows and prime years.

So if he ends up in the AHL or 3rd line NHL next year it will be hard for him to up his value and this means his second contract will be fairly cheap for a guy who could be a big time player. We need this type of cheaper depth as I feel like he may be on a 3x3 or something like that after his ELC as he won't be given as much opportunity to prove himself but will be given the time to develop and improve the skills he needs.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I voted trade him for a guy like Hanifan.

We simply are not going to get a 'top pairing dman' without adding a lot to Draisaitl. I think top pairing is going to be too costly or we will elevate player who is a 3 guy to a top pairing.

If we came out of this draft with McDavid and Hanifan at the cost of Draistaitl I'd be very happy.

Comic Book Guy*

FACT: Teams don't trade #1 centers

FACT2: Leon Draisaitl has the potential to be a #1 center

FACT 3: Teams don't trade #1 defenseman

FACT 4: The Oilers should only trade a potential #1 center for a potential #1 defenseman.

Tit-for-tat. Get a unattainable asset by trading your unattainable asset. Simple as that. Don't ask for anything less.

If we rewind back 10 years and say the Anaheim Ducks traded a young Ryan Getzlaf for a young Shea Weber straight up, would that have been a bad trade for either team?

Not necessarily.

Every player should be available for trade on the Oilers. I just hope Chiarelli gets a grip on the right price.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Unless there is a package that comes about this summer that brings back an OEL or Seth Jones, I would hold.

He may be expendable in the long term, but that doesn't mean we should give him away at a low return this year just cuz McDavid.

Let him develop, if nothing else he will be a good, talented, fairly big bodied ELC player for us for a few years that we can use.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Unless there is a package that comes about this summer that brings back an OEL or Seth Jones, I would hold.

He may be expendable in the long term, but that doesn't mean we should give him away at a low return this year just cuz McDavid.

Let him develop, if nothing else he will be a good, talented, fairly big bodied ELC player for us for a few years that we can use.

I personally think if he keeps up his playoff performance and takes his team to the Memorial Cup, his value will be very high.

Seth Jones and Hanifin seem like the most likely targets for me.

Nashville doesn't have a potential #1C, and their D still looks amazing without Jones. Toronto badly wants that 1C prospect as well, and Strome is showing some serious question marks.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I'd move him for Seth Jones, or Hanifin, but thats about it.

I voted trade him for a guy like Hanifan.

We simply are not going to get a 'top pairing dman' without adding a lot to Draisaitl. I think top pairing is going to be too costly or we will elevate player who is a 3 guy to a top pairing.

If we came out of this draft with McDavid and Hanifan at the cost of Draistaitl I'd be very happy.

Pretty much this says anything I would.....

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
A lot of teams would kill for scoring wingers like that, Including Pittsburgh.

Yakupov is the guy I would trade first, but we would be selling at lowest value. I'm not good with that.

Depth down the middle is great, but McDavid, RNH, Lander, Roy, Gordon will be the deepest we've been down the middle since the cup run, and once those guys develop, the deepest since the dynasty.

Roy isn't signed yet and long term is not a solution. All those centers will have trouble in our division/conference because of how huge the centers are. We need a center with size badly.

I agree Yak makes the most sense but disagree that his value is too low. His cap friendly contract makes him potentially one of our best trading chips for teams struggling with the cap.

Depending on the return and how Peter evaluates our existing team composition and weaknesses I see Yak and Schultz being the only two traded. Picks and minor prospects will make up the rest plus a FA signing or two.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I personally think if he keeps up his playoff performance and takes his team to the Memorial Cup, his value will be very high.

Seth Jones and Hanifin seem like the most likely targets for me.

Nashville doesn't have a potential #1C, and their D still looks amazing without Jones. Toronto badly wants that 1C prospect as well, and Strome is showing some serious question marks.

Toronto doesn't have anything we want...outside Rielly of course.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Roy isn't signed yet and long term is not a solution. All those centers will have trouble in our division/conference because of how huge the centers are. We need a center with size badly.

I agree Yak makes the most sense but disagree that his value is too low. His cap friendly contract makes him potentially one of our best trading chips for teams struggling with the cap.

Depending on the return and how Peter evaluates our existing team composition and weaknesses I see Yak and Schultz being the only two traded. Picks and minor prospects will make up the rest plus a FA signing or two.

I question if Draisaitl's size matters compared to how guys like Getzlaf play the game though?

Toronto doesn't have anything we want...outside Rielly of course.

I was referring to the speculation that a Draisaitl for Hanifin (4th overall pick) trade could make sense.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I question if Draisaitl's size matters compared to how guys like Getzlaf play the game though?

I was referring to the speculation that a Draisaitl for Hanifin (4th overall pick) trade could make sense.

Yeah, missed that reference.

In that case, it makes sense.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'd trade him for a top pairing d-man.

Don't think there's one for trade. Not one with term for sure.

So I'm not going to be all over management for not making a trade when there isn't one available.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
A

Exactly right!

At worst, he can play wing on the 3rd line. Or allow him to develop at his own pace in the AHL.

Pouliot - Hopkins - Eberle
Hall - McDavid - Yakupov
Draisaitl - Roy - Lander ~ Nothing wrong with a line made up of centers.
Wagon

I'd sign Roy!

Pure depth! I don't think you mess with that.

See what FA's are available to help defence and or goaltending!

If all else, start trading away some of the future for help now.

Why; Because NOW is that time to do jus that!

Defence you keep

Klefbom
Nurse
Fayne

All else is insignificant!

Get 2 new goaltenders.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Keep him.. but don't get too attached.

If the right deal comes up he has to be on the table. The right deal would be a stud dman a few years removed from his draft (Jones) or one in his prime.

Other than that.. why deal him?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Let's assume Arizona is tanking next season for a prime shot at Matthews.

Would it make a bit more sense to build around Hanafin+LD+Pittsburgh First, over OEL+Strome?

Because OEL for LD+1st (pens pick) would be a deal I'd make in a heartbeat.

I doubt it would ever be offered to us, (I think the only top pairing DMan available in trade would be Dion.. whom nobody wants).

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

I voted for this, but only for a top d-man. Not a "2-4" ish d-man.

We don't have any players remotely like him and I'd prefer not to trade him if at all possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad