Proposal: Draisaitl to Flyers

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The first trade is far too much value to turn down for the Oilers. BUT I would probably keep Couturier and then see what one could get for either Sanheim and the Flyer's first or Sanheim and the Oilers first. You would have to think that that package would get a very good winger.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Cute you stopped at the last 1.5 years how about we do the last 2.5 hmmm that might wash away your argument, though. Oh by the way thats a 50 point difference over the last 2.5 seasons all while Drai is 3 year younger.
So you think the season 2.5 years ago, means more than the last 1.5 seasons?

What you fail to understand, is that Couturier went to Hakstol 1.5 years ago, and told him he wanted a more offensive role on the Flyers instead of just being relied upon for his Selke level defence. And since then, he is a 70+ point player while still delivering that defence.

Funny how you ignore that Couturier only makes 4.33 million....Drai 8.5. So almost half the cost, for slihpghtly less offense and better defence.

Oh....and then Sanheim and a 1st on top of that. Sanheim would play in your top 4 immediately. He has been playing with Provy in the top pairing for the last 6ish weeks.

You are on a lonely island thinking that deal is bad for the Oilers.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Our biggest need is offence and we get worse offensively.
Sanheim is very nice, but hes similar to what we have in Nurse. We also have a lot of LHD in Klefbom, Nurse, Russel, Sekera, Gravel, Manning and Caleb Jones who is NHL ready. Not worth the downgrade from Leon to Couts. Not to mention we have Bouchard, Bear, Lagesson, Persson who will all compete for bottom pairing spots next season. We are ~ok~ defensively.
A first is a first, and there is no way it would be lottery unprotected. So we lkely get a 12-16 range pick. Which is still very nice but not nearly as tantalizing as a "lottery pick"

Value wise it does favour Edmonton though. I just circle back to our ineptitude to score and the drop-off from Couts to Draisaitl offensively would IMO make use worse. Cant do it.

Actually, no he isn't. His upside is much higher

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
So you think the season 2.5 years ago, means more than the last 1.5 seasons?

What you fail to understand, is that Couturier went to Hakstol 1.5 years ago, and told him he wanted a more offensive role on the Flyers instead of just being relied upon for his Selke level defence. And since then, he is a 70+ point player while still delivering that defence.

Funny how you ignore that Couturier only makes 4.33 million....Drai 8.5. So almost half the cost, for slihpghtly less offense and better defence.

Oh....and then Sanheim and a 1st on top of that. Sanheim would play in your top 4 immediately. He has been playing with Provy in the top pairing for the last 6ish weeks.

You are on a lonely island thinking that deal is bad for the Oilers.
Yeah, you know it kind of provides evidence of a player being consistent or not. Obviously that first proposal would give the Oilers pause but dont act like there isnt a gap between the 2 and that is why I posted what I posted. You only want to include the years Couts has been offensively good because it skews your narrative. Am I wrong?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Cute you stopped at the last 1.5 years how about we do the last 2.5 hmmm that might wash away your argument, though. Oh by the way thats a 50 point difference over the last 2.5 seasons all while Drai is 3 year younger.

Has Drai accumulated all those points the last 2 years playing on the 3rd line as a shutdown center...or on the 2nd unit PP unit?

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Has Drai accumulated all those points the last 2 years playing on the 3rd line as a shutdown center...or on the 2nd unit PP unit?
The guy is 16 points up on Couts this year but sure all of Couts 6 years of under 40 points before last year don't count now and the fact hes 3 years older to boot doesn't matter either.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Our biggest need is offence and we get worse offensively.
Sanheim is nice, but he’s similar to what we have in Nurse. We also have a lot of LHD in Klefbom, Nurse, Russel, Sekera, Gravel, Manning and Caleb Jones who is NHL ready. Not worth the downgrade from Leon to Couts. Not to mention we have Bouchard, Bear, Lagesson, Persson who will all compete for bottom pairing spots next season. We are ~ok~ defensively.
A first is a first, and there is no way it would be lottery unprotected. So we lkely get a 12-16 range pick. Which is still very nice but not nearly as tantalizing as a "lottery pick"

Value wise it does favour Edmonton though. I just circle back to our ineptitude to score and the drop-off from Couts to Draisaitl offensively would IMO make use worse. Cant do it.
Sanheim isn’t really comparable to Nurse. Sanheim isn’t a physical stay at home Dman. Their play styles are nothing alike.

Sanheim has a better hockey IQ, better skating, passing, and is better in the Ozone. Nurse is much better in his own zone and breaking up entries and plus in the neutral zone. I’d prefer to have Sanheim though. His upside is higher and I just think his play is a little more dynamic. Nurse will definitely log more min per game over his career, but Sanheims play is very complete. That isn’t to say Nurse doesn’t have a complete game, but idk... I would like to see what sanheim grows into.

Although, it would be kind of funny to bring the McNabb family back to Philly... Darnell Nurse is Donovan McNabbs nephew.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah, you know it kind of provides evidence of a player being consistent or not. Obviously that first proposal would give the Oilers pause but dont act like there isnt a gap between the 2 and that is why I posted what I posted. You only want to include the years Couts has been offensively good because it skews your narrative. Am I wrong?
Yes, you are wrong.

Again, you are ignoring that Couturier was not used in an offensive role until last year. That matters.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Sanheim isn’t really comparable to Nurse. Sanheim isn’t a physical stay at home Dman. Their play styles are nothing alike.

Sanheim has a better hockey IQ, better skating, passing, and is better in the Ozone. Nurse is much better in his own zone and breaking up entries and plus in the neutral zone. I’d prefer to have Sanheim though. His upside is higher and I just think his play is a little more dynamic. Nurse will definitely log more min per game over his career, but Sanheims play is very complete. That isn’t to say Nurse doesn’t have a complete game, but idk... I would like to see what sanheim grows into.

Although, it would be kind of funny to bring the McNabb family back to Philly... Darnell Nurse is Donovan McNabbs nephew.

Should have been more clear. Sanheim is similar to what we have in Nurse in regards to the role he would fill - Our 2nd pairing LHD.
Nurse is one of the best skating defenseman in the league I dont think many are better than him in that regard, Sanheim included.
Nurse is also very far from a stay at home dman. He is defense first but when the opportunity arises he joins the rush. Hes more of a 2-way defender than a stay at home type. He also has more points than Sanheim and is on pace for ~10 more points, but I agree Sanheim is the better offensive player.
Oilers fans are also excited to see what Nurse becomes.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The guy is 16 points up on Couts this year but sure all of Couts 6 years of under 40 points before last year don't count now and the fact hes 3 years older to boot doesn't matter either.

You do realize the importance of lines, minutes and deployment right?

The reason the poster used 1.5 years as a comparable is b/c those are the years both players were used in the same capacity

You trying to defer to Coots 40 point years as a 3rd liner is nothing but dishonest. Everbosy knows if Drai was converted to a 3rd liner tomo and wasn't given #1 pp time, he would be a 40ish point player also, except w/ half the defensive accumen

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

You do realize the importance of lines, minutes and deployment right?

The reason the poster used 1.5 years as a comparable is b/c those are the years both players were used in the same capacity

You trying to defer to Coots 40 point years as a 3rd liner is nothing but dishonest. Everbosy knows if Drai was converted to a 3rd liner tomo and wasn't given #1 pp time, he would be a 40ish point player also, except w/ half the defensive accumen

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And Couturier beat Drai in points last year.

And contracts don't matter

And defence doesn't matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad