Value of: Draisaitl Revisited

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
9.99mil x 7 with Florida or Tampa.
:sarcasm:

Curious, if he made it clear he wanted to move on, if the Oilers would trade him before the TDL so he could get that 8th year.
Or, if they would just try to make one last playoff push/try to convince him to stay due to that 8th year?

Regardless of 7 or 8 years, think he gets 13mil easily.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Curious, if he made it clear he wanted to move on, if the Oilers would trade him before the TDL so he could get that 8th year.
Or, if they would just try to make one last playoff push/try to convince him to stay due to that 8th year?

Leon will get for sure 13.5 x 7 in free agency. A club that’s got a young core, that’s on the cusp of competing with the top teams might go after him. They could even trade for Leon’s rights, so they could go the extra year.

Reactions: ShootIt

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
It depends alot on how you feel about the Tavares deal. Drai is a premier player but a huge salary like that can really handicap your depth on the back end. 11.5 would be about right to me
Drai is better than Tavares by a large margin. He’s been minimized by many because he plays behind 97 but he would still be a 50g 100+ pt player anywhere.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
You wouldn't. You couldn't. Montreal would only be able to offer Draisaitl 7 years. The only team that can offer him 8 years is Edmonton.

If Draisaitl plays elsewhere it's not because of the money. For example if a team offered him 14M x 7 years that's a total of 98M. Edmonton with the extra year could offer the same amount of total dollars and it would only be a 12.25M cap hit. I dont see a lot of teams lining up to give up what it would cost to leave Edmonton as it would be in that 15M+ range.
idk if San Jose was willing to give JT 13m, which was rumoured, and Drai is obviously in another world from JT, i can certainly see teams giving him at least $14-$15m.

If Johnny hockey got 9.7m for essentially one good year, leons getting bank

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

If Draisaitl makes it clear he won't sign, then Edmonton has to move him, point blank. You can't let an asset like that walk for nothing. Even at the deadline next year I think he fetches a good roster player, a 1st, and a high end prospect.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don’t see a world where Draisaitl’s new contract starts with anything less than $13.5M unless he chooses himself to take less
My thought is 13 X 8 from Edmonton, or 14 X 7 from someone else, if he doesn't want to stay.

He's said he is going to "do what's best for him", so that tells me he isn't looking at a team friendly discount - and I can't say that I blame him, given that his production has far exceeded his salary for most of his current contract.

They were one of the best teams in the league that year and were the favorites to win the series.
Exactly. A lot of the "experts" had the Flames in "near contender" status that year and many predicted them to go to the conference finals. They weren't the team they are now (as any team would be after losing their two best forwards).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If Draisaitl makes it clear he won't sign, then Edmonton has to move him, point blank. You can't let an asset like that walk for nothing. Even at the deadline next year I think he fetches a good roster player, a 1st, and a high end prospect.
There is no world in which Draisaitl makes it clear he won’t sign. Guys who aren’t planning to sign will always still string the team along until the last minute.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
idk if San Jose was willing to give JT 13m, which was rumoured, and Drai is obviously in another world from JT, i can certainly see teams giving him at least $14-$15m.

If Johnny hockey got 9.7m for essentially one good year, leons getting bank

Why would Draisaitl take the same amount of money to go play for a bottom feeder like San Jose? 15M for San Jose is the same as 13.5M from Edmonton because of the 8th year.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
There is no world in which Draisaitl makes it clear he won’t sign. Guys who aren’t planning to sign will always still string the team along until the last minute.

Sure. But you have to be smarter than Columbus/New York/Calgary and put a deadline on the extension. If he’s not signed going into the trade deadline, you have to move on.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I would rather have Draisaitl for one more playoffs run and let him walk after than get a player+futures.

You can get that 'good' player via free agency.

Keeping him for one more playoffs will show McD we tried our best for a cup run. And then spen that 13M wisely afterwards

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sure. But you have to be smarter than Columbus/New York/Calgary and put a deadline on the extension. If he’s not signed going into the trade deadline, you have to move on.
Totally, that would be the smart play. Tell him he’s getting traded if he doesn’t sign by X date.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Why would Draisaitl take the same amount of money to go play for a bottom feeder like San Jose? 15M for San Jose is the same as 13.5M from Edmonton because of the 8th year.
thats not my point. my point is there are teams out there that will 100% offer upwards of $15m for Drai. who gives a shit about san jose

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
thats not my point. my point is there are teams out there that will 100% offer upwards of $15m for Drai. who gives a shit about san jose
I don't think Draisaitl gets anywhere close to 15m. Too many holes in game and no effort. On alot of nights. Too poor of a skater to get huge bucks and term. Game is regressing already.

• Haha
Reactions: EquivalentStay

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I can see him getting 14.28 M x 7 (100m total) from someone.

He's too good of a player and will get whatever he wants.

He's in a tricky position though heading into free agency next season. Draisaitl will be 30 when starting his new contract, so he can't really go short-term like Matthews.

This will be his biggest contract and he will want it in one shot (7-8 years).

There are a few factors that will impact his decision to stay in Edmonton. Some of these factors are of course more generic such as whether or not he likes the city, teammates, team strategy, coaching, management, team's future, owner, amenities, and all those little things.

The next will be McDavid's future in Edmonton. Can he trust McDavid to stay after his contract ends?

This is where his love for Edmonton is going to show because he has to go first. He could be left in a tough situation holding a long contract if McDavid gets up and leaves at the end of his contract.

I think Edmonton will make him the biggest offer. They find it hard to attract superstars and he is a homegrown talent of the highest caliber. He will get a blank cheque from them without a doubt along with a huge signing bonus.

I can see them going 14 x 8 if necessary.

If money and familiarity are what he wants, he will sign with Edmonton right away. If he wants to go to a more glamorous city (NY, LA, Las Vegas, Florida) there will be multiple teams that go all-in for him.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't think Draisaitl gets anywhere close to 15m. Too many holes in game and no effort. On alot of nights. Too poor of a skater to get huge bucks and term. Game is regressing already.
Some team will be desperate enough to pay him that kind of money, wait until you see what Guentzel signs for.

Specially with the salary cap increasing greatly over the next couple of years- teams will get stupid real fast. I can see some Ladd/Lucic type contracts round 2.

Honestly my bet is he stays in Edmonton for something like 12.5m per year on an 8 year deal.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007

Can't help but agree with this. I don't get to see Draisaitl very often but the other night against the Blues he gave really lazy efforts on 3 separate occasions just against Robert Thomas. Tripped him 3 times and got called for 2 of them. Great player for sure but man does he take a lot of short cuts.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
as a gm, i will take the risk of adding a player of his calibre for 8 million per year for the next 8 years. Easily. I dunk on the OIlers a lot but I do see him as a true star player. Would love to see him on my team. No questions asked especially just 8 million? Leon should fire his agent if 8 million is all he can get on an open market. Give credit where its due. Drai is a true beast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad