Sportsnet: Draisaitl: Of course we can beat that team. There’s no question about it

Were Draisaitl comments after the game:

• Total voters

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
From watching this season series I think one of the main reasons for Toronto’s domination of Edmonton is that your checking line can shutdown Mcdavids line. It then leaves Matthews lines against the second line and Tavares line against Edmonton’s bottom six.

Reactions: banks and LeafSteel

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
From watching this season series I think one of the main reasons for Toronto’s domination of Edmonton is that your checking line can shutdown Mcdavids line. It then leaves Matthews lines against the second line and Tavares line against Edmonton’s bottom six.

Yea it's definitely been scoring depth. None of the top players have produced much.

Reactions: banks

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I guess we was supposed to say something like "No, I don't think we can beat them, in fact just give the Leafs the 2 pts on Monday. As a team, we don't want to offend HF Boards and disrespect the hockey gods. You know...we have more than 20 games left, but the Leafs are the best team and there is no way we can make up those 2 points, because there is absolutely no possible way we as a team can ever except to beat them"

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Maybe him and McDavid should start playing some defense if they plan on winning anything other than Art Ross trophies. Just a thought.

Adamantoise

Mar 15, 2021
Maybe him and McDavid should start playing some defense if they plan on winning anything other than Art Ross trophies. Just a thought.
Leon Draisaitl has been the best defensive player in the league this year. Just insane how much he limits goals against. +23 on 5vs5 in 35 games.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leon Draisaitl has been the best defensive player in the league this year. Just insane how much he limits goals against. +23 on 5vs5 in 35 games.
You’re predicting a Selke for him at seasons end?

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto

Looks like those results are mainly due to strong goaltending while he’s on the ice. McDavid actually allows less chances against but seems to be a bit unlucky with goaltending. (All stats per 60)

GASACAxGAon ice SV%
McDavid2.6829.1552.532.3190.79
Draisaitl1.7731.1955.742.7194.34
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Comparing Draisaitl this season to the last couple, he allows a similar number of xGA/60 to prior years but his on ice Sv% has increased quite a bit.

SeasonGAxGAon ice SV%
17-183.252.6189.59
18-193.192.8690.62
19-203.22.9290.64
20-211.772.7194.34
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I think his +\- has more to do with how strong he is offensively, as well as how good goaltending has been while he’s on the ice, than his defensive game.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Your reply is pointless. :)

So they win once in OT and they are utterly confident that they can beat us? You lose 6 out of 7 games and you are confident you can beat a team? Wouldn't logic dictate that if you lose 6 out of 7 games, you shouldn't go into the next game with the Leafs confident you can beat them? What gives you confidence you can beat the Leafs? One win? The Leafs have a .857 winning percentage against the Oil this year and Leon is confident they can beat us? We have 13 out of a possible 14 points vs them. They are the reason why we are in 1st place and they are confident they can beat us? . One win? One? One win? ONE. One win.... ONE....

Are there any Leaf fans that are confident going into a game vs Ottawa that we can beat Ottawa? or Winnipeg? We've beat both of those teams but are we confident we can beat them? Hopeful maybe but confident?
I'm confident the Leafs can win against any team, yes. So hearing Draisaitl say that is perfectly fine. I see zero disrespect there. You don't even play for the team, no need to take a nothing statement from Draisaitl so personally.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
I'd rather Matthews say nothing.

It's like me saying you you of course I'm smarter, better looking and all-around more of a talented person than you. Do you find that insulting or absolute? Would you take that as an insult or say, yeah Bluelines probably has a good point? Its the two words "of course" it's so dismissive, it completely ignores the fact the Leafs are a hell of a good team, that the Leafs worked their assess off to be better in 6 games out of 7 games. It's arrogant TBH.
I honestly wouldn't care cause I don't care what other people think about me.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
There is an old saying its better to e thought a fool than open your mouth and confirm suspicion, Leon opened his mouth.

There being confident and then there is being dismissive of your opponent. It's arrogant to assume you are going to beat an opponent just because you want to win. His comment suggest that of course we can beat them, they have just been lucky or we have been unlucky. He is suggesting that his team is the better team and the Leafs have not deserved to beat the Oil this year. Of course....

Act like you've been there before - Mark Messier and a hundred other great athletes...
Why do you care so much? Let him think that.

The thread plus all your responses have put this into the top spot for dumbest thread I've ever seen category on HF

Reactions: Auston 316

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I too think they can beat the Leafs, because of course they can, and every other team too.

What a weird thread.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Lol. It would be amazing if he came out and said "We can't compete against them, they are just so much better I don't know why we dress for the games..."

I mean what does the op want? What he said was true.

You want denial and outrageous comments go to the Oilers after game thread. They are currently using the Raptor riots as proof we are bad people roll.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Lol. It would be amazing if he came out and said "We can't compete against them, they are just so much better I don't know why we dress for the games..."

I mean what does the op want? What he said was true.

You want denial and outrageous comments go to the Oilers after game thread. They are currently using the Raptor riots as proof we are bad people roll.

Raptor riots? I watch the Raptors as closely as the Leafs these days and I don't even know what that is.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
What's he supposed to say no we can't? I mean why even play the game right. Any team can beat anyone on a given night. Some teams just are better than others but the score doesn't always favour the better team (sometimes it does as Leafs are better depth wise certainly) hence they play the game on ice, not on paper.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Seems like Drai is not the only one saying it... guess time to put money where their mouth is?

This is what I expect a player with class to say. He does not arrogantly say OF COURSE we can beat them he says with humility, we have to show ourselves and them we can beat them.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
What's he supposed to say no we can't? I mean why even play the game right. Any team can beat anyone on a given night. Some teams just are better than others but the score doesn't always favour the better team (sometimes it does as Leafs are better depth wise certainly) hence they play the game on ice, not on paper.

Look at the post directly above yours

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad