Draisaitl + Nugent-Hopkins vs. Marner + Nylander

Who would you rather have moving forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 26, 2010
Drai > Marner as of right now but its close. I see them being relatively equal over their careers
Nylander > Nuge mostly because of age and ceiling. As of right now I think Nuge is a more complete, well rounded player.

I'd take Oilers duo if this was right now but probably lean towards Leafs duo after a few years assuming Nylander grows into the player I think he can be. OP did say "moving forward" so I'll vote Leafs.

Anybody saying "Leafs easy" is just a homer.
Drai over Marner?

Marner is 10 times the player Drai is.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Considering Marner will most likely demand 9m+ next year and Nylander is at 6.9, I’ll take my center duo who will also be cheaper.

Nuge has been killing it this year in all situations and positions he’s been put in. Same with Drai. Both are so versatile
Nylanders at 7 not 6.9!!!!

Reactions: Dache

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Imagine thinking Marner is better than Draisaitl.
At the very least they are a wash and even then I'd give the edge to Drai. He can play all forward positions (and has), all situations (and has), elite on the face off dot, and produces having some of the shittiest wingers in the league

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Imagine thinking Marner is better than Draisaitl.
At the very least they are a wash and even then I'd give the edge to Drai. He can play all forward positions (and has), all situations (and has), elite on the face off dot, and produces having some of the ****tiest wingers in the league

Limitation being the vast majority of his production comes on mcdavids wing (irony of your post saying he has awful wingers himself ). Someone posted a stat previously : Drai w mcdavid 30 pts, Drai sans mcdavid 4? Can anyone clarify this??

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Limitation being the vast majority of his production comes on mcdavids wing (irony of your post saying he has awful wingers himself ). Someone posted a stat previously : Drai w mcdavid 30 pts, Drai sans mcdavid 4? Can anyone clarify this??
This is an argument against Drai because? they are one of the best dynamic duos in the league. They both play off each other, its not a one sided benefit.
Is Marner only a product of Tavares burying his feeds?
Check the % of points Rantanen has with MacKinnon or Point with Kucherov or Monahan with Gaudreau.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
As soon as I hear someone suggest that Marner is benefiting from Tavares (even as good as John is, and even as much of a better linemate he’d be compared to Joe Plug) I know they haven’t actually watched Marner. He’s easily been one of the most influential line drivers in the league all season.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
As soon as I hear someone suggest that Marner is benefiting from Tavares (even as good as John is, and even as much of a better linemate he’d be compared to Joe Plug) I know they haven’t actually watched Marner. He’s easily been one of the most influential line drivers in the league all season.
So is JT not a top 10 centre in the league like many Leafs fans state?

I just don't understand how anyone can discredit Drai since he plays with Connor. But meanwhile you think Marner & Nylander shouldn't deserve some discredit as well.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
So is JT not a top 10 centre in the league like many Leafs fans state?

I just don't understand how anyone can discredit Drai since he plays with Connor. But meanwhile you think Marner & Nylander shouldn't deserve some discredit as well.
I’m not saying that Tavares isn’t a top 10 center. What I am saying is that anyone who’s watched the line even a little knows that Marner is absolutely benefiting Tavares far more than vice versa. Far, far more.

Again, he’s been one of the most influential line drivers in the league all season, and I feel that the only way someone would suggest otherwise is if they haven’t watched them play.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Leon has finished in top 10 in NHL scoring. Was playoff beast and lead team to postseason success.
Marner has yet to find any postseason success and has never even hit 70 pts, although he has had a nice season so far, small sample size
He's a nice player, but I feel nothing really special about Marner. Most teams have a similar player, seems like a good team guy, nice kid, at least he has that going for him.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Not biased.

Lets do a poll.

Marner vs Draisaitl
Feel free to Hollywood.

I don't care if you think Marner is better than Drai, that's fine and I think that's not being a homer. If you say Matthews is better than McDavid, now that's being a homer.

It's when you post attention seeking things like "Marner is ten times the player Drai is", anyone that knows anything about hockey knows that's far from the truth.

They are around the same caliber.

Mar 26, 2010
Feel free to Hollywood.

I don't care if you think Marner is better than Drai, that's fine and I think that's not being a homer. If you say Matthews is better than McDavid, now that's being a homer.

It's when you post attention seeking things like "Marner is ten times the player Drai is", anyone that knows anything about hockey knows that's far from the truth.

They are around the same caliber.
Ok...

I will say a McDavid > Matthews

But... Marner is better than Drai by a large margin.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
This is an argument against Drai because? they are one of the best dynamic duos in the league. They both play off each other, its not a one sided benefit.
Is Marner only a product of Tavares burying his feeds?
Check the % of points Rantanen has with MacKinnon or Point with Kucherov or Monahan with Gaudreau.

That's not the point. Previous posts alluded to him succeeding despite awful wingers on his line, wheras seemingly reality is that he only excels as a winger w Connor. It doesn't quite digest imo.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I simply go with the best option, always. :)

I have voted non-Leaf before. When it was the best option.
You actually think people believe that Makinaw? :laugh:

You yourself should know that's far from the truth.

Last edited:

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
4 points less, 10 more goals, way better defensively, and plays more important position yet the other guy the superior player?

Fascinating. Just fascinating.

He's played 48.1% of his ice time as McDavid's winger this season.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player but not sure if using his position is much of a plus point right now.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
He's played 48.1% of his ice time as McDavid's winger this season.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player but not sure if using his position is much of a plus point right now.
This is the problem, if you want to use these fancy stats.

How much of Marner's icetime has been played with Tavares?

How much ice time did Drai have playing alongside 4th line players while he was centering the 2nd line?

Who are teams rolling out their shut-down units up against when Matthews is in the lineup? Yes, Marner did well when Matthews was out but that was also a very small sample size.

The depth alone that Marner is surrounded by is a huge advantage to him. McDavid and Drai are literally who teams base their gameplan around when facing Edmonton.

All I'm saying is that if you want to discredit Drai for playing with McDavid, there is a lot of reasons to discredit Marner as well.

This is also purely offense. I'm sure the majority of HF would take Drai's overall game(defense, physicality, etc) over Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad