Draisaitl is a top 5 player in the league if he keeps this up

BurnabyJoe7

Derek Ryan is a top 6 forward change my mind
Apr 12, 2019
Drai has been better than McDavid in every game this year expect for maybe tonight. They are awesome together but would be even more productive on their own if they had somewhat skilled wingers to play with. The sad thing is that we have zero wingers that would be playing in a competitive team's top 6, and possibly top 9 on some teams. Once we get some quality wingers they will be split up and just play the pp and 3on3 together.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
You guys are letting the flame bridge beast derail the thread. Just ignore him because some compliments are now getting confused for insults.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
German Stallion beasting. Anybody that still tries to disingenuously claim he's a product of McDavid is delusional.

Another 50g, 50a assist season seems inevitable at this point. Been the Oilers' MVP thus far.
Yes, a hot start playing with McDavid is definitely some solid proof.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
SportsNet showed a stat that showed McDavid and Draisaitl are in on 31% of their teams goals since 2016-2017.

Pastrnak and Marchand are in on 29.8%. I didn't know they were that close. Oilers need to improve the bottom six, but McDrai aren't way above what other teams stars contribute in terms of % on goals.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm just going to throw this out here before anyone else realizes it. Draisaitl will win a Selke. BOOK IT.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
It's remarkable how much the Oilers rely on two players
Bergeron and Pastrnak are in on 21.8% of their teams goals the last 3 years. McDavid and Drai 31%

It's amazing how much Boston relies on those 2 as well. There is another duo right there with the BOS duo. Boston has good depth though. That's why they are where they are.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Very slim but if you were to ask the oilers who their mvp has been through the 1st 7 games everyone will answer draisaitl.

Yup everyone who actually watches every single Oilers game will say same thing that Draisaitl has been their best player this year.

He’s been a beast defensively and killing penalties on top of his offensive production, he’s reached another level his game has taken another step. He’s unreal.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm very happy to see Drai putting up huge numbers and showing the league he's a star. Guy has been so underrated by a certain franchise fans nice to see he's proving them so very wrong. Oiler's have two of the top 5 forwards in league enjoy it.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
If he can keep this up, there is no way he is not in the conversation of the TOP5...time will tell, hopefully his TOI is not going to completely gas him before Christmas.

Last edited:

Austerlitz

Jun 26, 2018
I also feel like Draisaitl is missing some sort of electric skill from his game that prevents him from getting to these guys level. He does put the puck in the net though.

Being big, strong, fast, agressive, and skilled with great hands and vision isn't electric enough for you?

Reactions: dss97

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I think I'd agree. All offseason I've been saying people need to slow down and see what he does in the next season and it seems nothing changed.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Depends on the situation.

If Drai is used to help prop up McDavid, then no, Drai isnt a 1C, he's a complimentary player, etc etc.

If its to pump Drai up, then he is a stud who can run his own line and create without using/needing McDavid.

Puckluck13

Sep 28, 2019
Let's see him do this away from mcdavid. He's a good player and better than Mathews even without McDavid but calling him a top 5 player is a little much when he cant find chemistry playing on his own line.

Top 15-20 IMO.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I also feel like Draisaitl is missing some sort of electric skill from his game that prevents him from getting to these guys level. He does put the puck in the net though.
Let's see him do this away from mcdavid. He's a good player and better than Mathews even without McDavid but calling him a top 5 player is a little much when he cant find chemistry playing on his own line.

Top 15-20 IMO.

He's been much much more impactful than guys like Kane and MacKinnon so far. Can't name 5 players

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
It's difficult to objectively assess a guy that's on your favourite team, but Draisaitl is the only player in the league that I would argue might be better than McDavid all around.

At the very least, he's the second best player in the league. He's like a young Crosby with a better shot.

Alright, bring the heat.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
SportsNet showed a stat that showed McDavid and Draisaitl are in on 31% of their teams goals since 2016-2017.

Pastrnak and Marchand are in on 29.8%. I didn't know they were that close. Oilers need to improve the bottom six, but McDrai aren't way above what other teams stars contribute in terms of % on goals.
I believe the stat was actually that they SCORED that percentage of team goals, not just in on them. I think McDavid alone is in on around 45% of team goals in the same time frame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad