Post-Game Talk: Draicula Returns

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
So I was unable to watch the game except for the last 10 minutes of the third so I just watched the condensed game and god damn that 2nd line is f***ing DEADLY.

They straight up looked like they could score on every rush. Credit to the Gagner-Chaisson line, they were impressive too.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
McD so far in 2020 is making a hell of a lot of passes to nowhere. Its something that nobody really talks about a lot because they're always getting on Drai whenever he does it but McD is being ineffective on some nights. The patented rush is McD trying to beat the whole opponent club, it doesn't work, and then he tries to pass it off somewhere with the whole rush out of sync. Whereas Drai has timing and can speed up or slow a play down McD really needs to work on that aspect. He's out of pace with his linemates a lot. Mind you Kass was not much tonight again. Archibald had not a great game.
I agree, but that's not really on McDavid. His wingers are the ones at fault.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
My thoughts on the game:

Archibald:
Solid game overall. Not overly effective 5v5, but great effort, and really good on the PK, with the shortie to seal it as the cherry on top.

Bear: Another good game from Bear with no glaring mistakes I can remember. Offensively he’s had better games, but no need to complain here.

Benning: It‘s always a good thing when Benning is not a liability and when he is not overplayed he has shown quite consistently that he can be a solid bottom pairing defenseman.

Chiasson:
Really liked Chiasson this game. He played his role perfectly. There were a couple of miscues and that penalty at the end was just dumb, but he was still mostly good.

Draisaitl: Best player on the ice. He didn’t go for any crazy passes and just dominated almost every shift he was out there. It’s kind of insane that he has still not scored a hattrick in this league (unless I missed it). The GWG was a thing of beauty. Yamamoto had no way to pass the puck in front of Drai so he could really take it in stride, and the only pass he could make was difficult as hell, but Yams played that perfectly, and Drai just picked the puck up at his side without losing a step went backhand –> forehand in a flash and got that shot off in a hurry.

Gagner: If this is the Gagner we get every night, I am ok with him in the lineup. Him missing the net entirely from a perfect position in the slot was painful, but he also did a lot of things right.

Haas: I thought he had a couple of weaker games before the break and then sat out against the Flames. But he came back strong. He had a few very nice defensive plays taking away the pucks from the Blues and then transition quickly the other way. Maybe he needed the break to recharge a bit, since he’s not used to this kind of schedule.

Jones: Another guy who had solid game, and he scored a goal (with a little help from Mr. Allen) to boost. He was mostly good defensively and made some really nice outlet passes that we don’t get to see often from this team.

Kassian: Not a good game by Kass. Also not really bad, but the games since they split up Connor and Leon clearly show that you have a problem when you look to Kassian to be the second best forward on the 1st line. I like Kass, even on that line, but you need a better player than Neal or Archi (not a knock on them) on the other wing. Any one of these guys especially Kassian and Archi could be a solid complimentary 3rd winger with McDavid, but you need one more legit scoring/playmaking winger on that line.

Khaira: I really don’t want to write anything about his play. It’s just depressing.

Klefbom: There was some bad decision making in his game and I really want to see the PP without him, but I don’t think he was awful. Still, he was like the 5th best defenseman for the Oilers.

Koskinen: Good, solid job by Koski. He came up with some big and timely saves and gave this team a chance to win.

Larsson: That’s the Larsson I like to see. Physical, good positioning and almost no stupid plays. He has his limitations, but when he plays to his strengths, he is very important for this team.

McDavid: Shoot!!!! You’re not playing with Drai anymore. Please at least occasionally shoot the damn puck. Not a bad game, but against a stingy, physical team like the Blues that has really good defensive forwards and defensemen, there was no way he could provide much offense with Archi and Kassian on his wings. He did what he could to keep the Blues busy which probably made things easier for Drai, Nuge and Yams. Not his best game, but he did what he could do under the circumstances to help his team win.

Nugent-Hopkins: He got a little overshadowed by the dominant performance from Drai and the amazing game played by Yamamoto, but Nuge had strong game in his own right. He did a lot of little stuff that often goes unnoticed. I really like the setup of this line, especially when they get an offensive zone faceoff. Whenever Drai wins those clean to Nuge, he just shoots right away and Yamamoto heads straight for net for a potential rebound.

Nurse: He was the worst of the Oilers defenseman and luckily it did not cost them in the end. He just kept making bad/questionable decisions both with and without the puck. Hopefully he will get back to the way he played earlier this season. Because when he is good, he can be very good, but when he is bad, he is very bad.

Russell: Not a good game. He had one very good and one very bad player on his line. Unfortunately he played more like the very bad one, which is really sad, because I want him to score a goal so badly.

Sheahan:
His line was mostly bad, but I thought Riley played as well as you can expect anyone to play when your linemates play like Khaira and Russell did in this game. He won faceoffs, he won puck battles and at one time he basically managed to hem the Blues in their own zone by himself. That must have been a tough game for him.

Yamamoto: Yet another wonderful game for the little spark plug. I love that he plays such a physical game battling for pucks in the corners, but he doesn’t do it recklessly or blindly. He understands when it is better to avoid a check and when it makes sense to absorb or initiate a check in order to win the puck for his team. He is really smart like that and you can see that same smarts when you watch him get into scoring positions around the net. In his first games after being called up I kept wondering how that little guy got to front of the net against all those big defensemen. It’s just a pleasure to watch him out there. He just seems so happy to be there and he reminds a little bit of Draisaitl after his call up in the 15-16 season. His play has basically been telling the coaching staff from his first game: “I am here to stay. There is no way you’re sending me back to Bakersfield”.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
McDavid: Shoot!!!! You’re not playing with Drai anymore. Please at least occasionally shoot the damn puck. Not a bad game, but against a stingy, physical team like the Blues that has really good defensive forwards and defensemen, there was no way he could provide much offense with Archi and Kassian on his wings. He did what he could to keep the Blues busy which probably made things easier for Drai, Nuge and Yams. Not his best game, but he did what he could do under the circumstances to help his team win.

This x1000. I counted three passed up Grade A shots last night, where he would try to make a pass or wheel around the net for a play. Teams like STL in particular are great at getting in lanes and you have to play a more straight-lines game when you can.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
It absolutely matters. The Flames basically have their ticket to the playoffs punched because this team refuses to show up against them.

Saturday is an absolute ****ing must win. No ifs ands or buts, no excuses.

The Flames should send us a gift basket since we have gifted them 6 points so far. Hopefully we put the gears to them tonight

Reactions: tardigrade81

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
He cant skate like a #4. Until that changes, he’s strictly bottom pairing.
And that is not a bad thing, Benning gets ripped on a lot here and really he is a perfect bottom pair defensman that does what he is supposed to more often then not.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Draisaitl had a hat trick last season vs. LAK. And he had an epic hat trick / 5pt game vs Anaheim in the playoffs in 2017.

You are right. For some reason I thought he had 2g 3a in that game vs. LAK and not the other way round.
And I meant to say regular season,

Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: KirkW

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yamo started his first game (or two?) on the 4th line with Haas. He earned his way to the 2nd line because he showed Tippett he can trust his game.
That's completely false.

RNH was on the third line the first game and then moved up

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
It absolutely matters. The Flames basically have their ticket to the playoffs punched because this team refuses to show up against them.

Saturday is an absolute ****ing must win. No ifs ands or buts, no excuses.

It matters. It's not a must-win in any remote mathematical sense.

The Flames are less likely to make the playoffs today than the Oilers.

Calm down.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
My thoughts on the game:

Archibald:
Solid game overall. Not overly effective 5v5, but great effort, and really good on the PK, with the shortie to seal it as the cherry on top.

Bear: Another good game from Bear with no glaring mistakes I can remember. Offensively he’s had better games, but no need to complain here.

Benning: It‘s always a good thing when Benning is not a liability and when he is not overplayed he has shown quite consistently that he can be a solid bottom pairing defenseman.

Chiasson:
Really liked Chiasson this game. He played his role perfectly. There were a couple of miscues and that penalty at the end was just dumb, but he was still mostly good.

Draisaitl: Best player on the ice. He didn’t go for any crazy passes and just dominated almost every shift he was out there. It’s kind of insane that he has still not scored a hattrick in this league (unless I missed it). The GWG was a thing of beauty. Yamamoto had no way to pass the puck in front of Drai so he could really take it in stride, and the only pass he could make was difficult as hell, but Yams played that perfectly, and Drai just picked the puck up at his side without losing a step went backhand –> forehand in a flash and got that shot off in a hurry.

Gagner: If this is the Gagner we get every night, I am ok with him in the lineup. Him missing the net entirely from a perfect position in the slot was painful, but he also did a lot of things right.

Haas: I thought he had a couple of weaker games before the break and then sat out against the Flames. But he came back strong. He had a few very nice defensive plays taking away the pucks from the Blues and then transition quickly the other way. Maybe he needed the break to recharge a bit, since he’s not used to this kind of schedule.

Jones: Another guy who had solid game, and he scored a goal (with a little help from Mr. Allen) to boost. He was mostly good defensively and made some really nice outlet passes that we don’t get to see often from this team.

Kassian: Not a good game by Kass. Also not really bad, but the games since they split up Connor and Leon clearly show that you have a problem when you look to Kassian to be the second best forward on the 1st line. I like Kass, even on that line, but you need a better player than Neal or Archi (not a knock on them) on the other wing. Any one of these guys especially Kassian and Archi could be a solid complimentary 3rd winger with McDavid, but you need one more legit scoring/playmaking winger on that line.

Khaira: I really don’t want to write anything about his play. It’s just depressing.

Klefbom: There was some bad decision making in his game and I really want to see the PP without him, but I don’t think he was awful. Still, he was like the 5th best defenseman for the Oilers.

Koskinen: Good, solid job by Koski. He came up with some big and timely saves and gave this team a chance to win.

Larsson: That’s the Larsson I like to see. Physical, good positioning and almost no stupid plays. He has his limitations, but when he plays to his strengths, he is very important for this team.

Nugent-Hopkins: He got a little overshadowed by the dominant performance from Drai and the amazing game played by Yamamoto, but Nuge had strong game in his own right. He did a lot of little stuff that often goes unnoticed. I really like the setup of this line, especially when they get an offensive zone faceoff. Whenever Drai wins those clean to Nuge, he just shoots right away and Yamamoto heads straight for net for a potential rebound.

Nurse: He was the worst of the Oilers defenseman and luckily it did not cost them in the end. He just kept making bad/questionable decisions both with and without the puck. Hopefully he will get back to the way he played earlier this season. Because when he is good, he can be very good, but when he is bad, he is very bad.

Russell: Not a good game. He had one very good and one very bad player on his line. Unfortunately he played more like the very bad one, which is really sad, because I want him to score a goal so badly.

Sheahan:
His line was mostly bad, but I thought Riley played as well as you can expect anyone to play when your linemates play like Khaira and Russell did in this game. He won faceoffs, he won puck battles and at one time he basically managed to hem the Blues in their own zone by himself. That must have been a tough game for him.

Yamamoto: Yet another wonderful game for the little spark plug. I love that he plays such a physical game battling for pucks in the corners, but he doesn’t do it recklessly or blindly. He understands when it is better to avoid a check and when it makes sense to absorb or initiate a check in order to win the puck for his team. He is really smart like that and you can see that same smarts when you watch him get into scoring positions around the net. In his first games after being called up I kept wondering how that little guy got to front of the net against all those big defensemen. It’s just a pleasure to watch him out there. He just seems so happy to be there and he reminds a little bit of Draisaitl after his call up in the 15-16 season. His play has basically been telling the coaching staff from his first game: “I am here to stay. There is no way you’re sending me back to Bakersfield”.

I actually thought that our two best defensmen were our two worst defenders last night. Nurse and Klefbom have to be better for this team to have success. On the other hand I really liked Larrson and Benning's games.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Ladies and gentlemen, it appears we officially have a good and consistent 2nd line, for the first time since.... 1990!!

giphy.gif

Those three (RNH, Drai, Yamo) are not only good individual players, but more important they have CHEMISTRY together. That second Draisaitl goal was incredibly awesome, mainly for Drai's heroic skating + shot, but also in how Yamamoto carried the puck out and passed to Drai in stride. Just a beautiful goal.

Having watched this League for 35 years, I honestly think the Oilers would be as close as any team -- excepting Washington and Tampa -- to competing for the Cup if only they had a really good winger for McDavid. I'm thinking of a Kyle Connor-type of player with some zip and some skill to go along with the size + sandpaper of Kassian on the other side. Unfortunately, such wingers don't grow on trees, but let's hope Holland is playing the phones and setting up a possible deal should one of the possible trade-partners fall out of contention before the deadline. (I like Neal on the PP, but at even strength he just doesn't have it anymore, and is a black hole defensively.)

Like everyone else, I'm desperate to see Ethan Bear on the PP, and yeah why not Yamamoto also, since he's a right shot? But maybe Tippett is trying not to wear them down too early.

Tomorrow's game is big. The Oilers don't want to start losing to Calgary as a habit. Let's break the recent streak and take it to them. (Since the beginning of 1986-87, the Oilers are 72-105-9-11 vs. Calgary. And 2 wins in the past 9 games... Yikes!)

I’d like this post if I was able to.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
A few thoughts:
  • I enjoy seeing this team step up in big games. It reminds me of the last time the Oilers made the playoffs where one expected the bottom to fall out down down the stretch and they persistently came away with big wins.
  • It's great to have a 2nd line that can produce at this rate. Yamamoto has demonstrated that he fits in perfectly with the Draisaitl-RNH combo that many of us have been asking for a few seasons now. You watching this Todd and Hitch?
  • Although it may cost him the Art Ross and/or Hart, I don't mind McDavid being the 'golden decoy" if it earns the team points. It worked for Canada with Crosby for two gold medals, and makes the other coach really think about what line should be matched against their top defenders.
  • That being said, the pressure is mounting on Holland to get McDavid a winger who can drive to the net and bury the numerous chances he creates off the rush every game. As long as it doesn't cost a 1st round pick I think it will be worth the price (even for a player that will be a UFA this summer)
  • It's a tight race between 5 teams in the Pacific, and yet it's amazing to follow the Oilers on this playoff run as we enter February.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
  • I enjoy seeing this team step up in big games. It reminds me of the last time the Oilers made the playoffs where one expected the bottom to fall out down down the stretch and they persistently came away with big wins.
  • It's great to have a 2nd line that can produce at this rate. Yamamoto has demonstrated that he fits in perfectly with the Draisaitl-RNH combo that many of us have been asking for a few seasons now. You watching this Todd and Hitch?
  • Although it may cost him the Art Ross and/or Hart, I don't mind McDavid being the 'golden decoy" if it earns the team points. It worked for Canada with Crosby for two gold medals.
  • That being said, the pressure is mounting on Holland to get McDavid a winger who can drive to the net and bury the numerous chances he creates off the rush every game. As long as it doesn't cost a 1st round pick I think it will be worth the price (even for a player that will be a UFA this summer)
  • It's a tight race between 5 teams in the Pacific, and yet it's amazing to follow the Oilers on this playoff run as we enter February.
How good is Dave Tippet? Hitch and Todd gave up way too early on splitting McD/Drai and when they did they often put RNH with McD. If we can get one more top six forward we are in good shape, thanks to Tippet.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
I've watched almost every Oilers game this season, and Draisaitl has been better than McDavid. If I voted for Hart trophy it would be Draisaitl.

And some people think Draisaitl has been better than McDavid this year LMFAO, take away McDavid this team would almost be as bad as the Red Wings.

Draisaitl had an incredible game I'd love to see more of that from him.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad