Draftwired (NHL) is now 'live'

brettzz

Jul 20, 2014
buffalo offered me #8 for 17, 50, 79, and I got a message with a typo 'Highway robery...'

side note i drafted eemeli rasanen 8th overall because height > everything

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
auto-select modified and installed

I tweaked the routine that auto selects and 99% sure that's it for year 1.

If you're picking in the 50's and a guy like Robert Thomas falls in your lap, be happy and take him. as i said in a earlier post, this stuff happens in reality and the simulator is designed to allow for a few hi ranking guys to slide in every simulation.

the good news is that the names will change in each sim, I believe it gives the draft that aura of the unexpected.

The NHL Draft rocks

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
you can now join a group draft 'in progress'

I'd like to see more of you try this feature out. the schedule is like this

Mon/wed/fri 7 & 10 pm EST
Tue/Thu 8 pm EST
Sat/Sun 3 & 6 pm EST

7 rd draft in 1 hour. trades can only be consumated between 2 teams that are represented by humans or a combination of one human and 1 robot. I sometimes insert team robot GM's into some drafts just so that the people participating have some trading options. It's the same format at the simulator except of course each team/rep has to wait until his team's pick is up (obviously). There's a chat box for trade talk ot just a little light hearted smack talk.

spfan

May 4, 2009
What kind of drafts has everybody had?
Kinda cheating the trade gadget, but these are some draft days I've had with different teams

BUF 8th Heiskanen, 10th Tippett, 32nd Hague
CGY 16th Tolvanen, 35th Foote, 41st Oettinger, 45th Thomas, 63rd Strome
FLA 8th Heiskanen, 14th Tippett, 37th Oettinger, 40th Ratcliffe
VGK 6th Vilardi, 13th Liljegren, 30th Suzuki, 35th Thomas
VAN 2nd Hischier, 16th Tippett, 27th Suzuki
NJ 1st Hischier, 8th Makar, 32nd Oettinger, 63rd Mattheos

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
What kind of drafts has everybody had?
Kinda cheating the trade gadget, but these are some draft days I've had with different teams

BUF 8th Heiskanen, 10th Tippett, 32nd Hague
CGY 16th Tolvanen, 35th Foote, 41st Oettinger, 45th Thomas, 63rd Strome
FLA 8th Heiskanen, 14th Tippett, 37th Oettinger, 40th Ratcliffe
VGK 6th Vilardi, 13th Liljegren, 30th Suzuki, 35th Thomas
VAN 2nd Hischier, 16th Tippett, 27th Suzuki
NJ 1st Hischier, 8th Makar, 32nd Oettinger, 63rd Mattheos

What do you think about the trade gadget and the corresponding draft pick point chart? I still think that when I deploy the same chart that the NFL uses it results if more reasonable exchanges. But I'm not getting much feedback on this particular aspect - so I'll continue to use the existing point chart

spfan

May 4, 2009
What do you think about the trade gadget and the corresponding draft pick point chart? I still think that when I deploy the same chart that the NFL uses it results if more reasonable exchanges. But I'm not getting much feedback on this particular aspect - so I'll continue to use the existing point chart

I can't recall exactly what picks I was trying to trade, but I remember trying to trade up about 6 spots in the 2nd or 3rd round and giving up a pick that was only 6 picks behind it, plus a 6th and a 7th round pick, which I think would be enough to move up just 6 spots in the 2nd or 3rd round. And the value was much higher on their side.
So maybe 2nd and 3rd round picks should be closer to each other in value?

Another thing is, if you trade and get another teams 2018 draft pick, you can't then use that to trade. I originally tried to get a 2018 pick so that I could use that to make another trade, but it only allowed me to use the 2018 picks I had already owned.

I find the trade gadget a little glitchy too. I had to clear it many times and I had to click really fast it seemed otherwise the picks i selected wouldn't pop up in the trade assets box. And if you took too long to select the picks I guess it wouldn't register anymore and I had to clear it and try to do it again. So hopefully that's something that can be more fluid.

I know you can take control of all the teams or do 1 team, but 1 thing I suggest is that you can take control as many teams as you want. Instead of just 1 or 31. How about being able to control 2 teams?

Again, really appreciate your work on this!

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I can't recall exactly what picks I was trying to trade, but I remember trying to trade up about 6 spots in the 2nd or 3rd round and giving up a pick that was only 6 picks behind it, plus a 6th and a 7th round pick, which I think would be enough to move up just 6 spots in the 2nd or 3rd round. And the value was much higher on their side.

Another thing is, if you trade and get another teams 2018 draft pick, you can't then use that to trade. I originally tried to get a 2018 pick so that I could use that to make another trade, but it only allowed me to use the 2018 picks I had already owned.

I find the trade gadget a little glitchy too. I had to clear it many times and I had to click really fast it seemed otherwise the picks i selected wouldn't pop up in the trade assets box. And if you took too long to select the picks I guess it wouldn't register anymore and I had to clear it and try to do it again. So hopefully that's something that can be more fluid.

I know you can take control of all the teams or do 1 team, but 1 thing I suggest is that you can take control as many teams as you want. Instead of just 1 or 31. How about being able to control 2 teams?

I think I can explain whay you're describing as 'glichy' with the trade gadget:
If you click on the [Info] button it should explain it there too.

the essence of it is this:
When clicking on a team's draft picks, you are required to select them in hi to low sequence. for example, Ottawa has pks 28,47, 121 & 183 and then 2018 1st , 2018 2nd. Lets say the 1st pick you click on for Ottawa was 47 and then you try clicking pick 28. It won't take that. if you want to include picks 28 and 47 then you have to select pick 28 first and pick 47 afterward. I think maybe that's where you got flustered. I could rework that so the user can select the picks in any order - i just didn't think itwas a big deal. again it is explained in the INFO button

hope that helps

spfan

May 4, 2009
I think I can explain whay you're describing as 'glichy' with the trade gadget:
If you click on the [Info] button it should explain it there too.

the essence of it is this:
When clicking on a team's draft picks, you are required to select them in hi to low sequence. for example, Ottawa has pks 28,47, 121 & 183 and then 2018 1st , 2018 2nd. Lets say the 1st pick you click on for Ottawa was 47 and then you try clicking pick 28. It won't take that. if you want to include picks 28 and 47 then you have to select pick 28 first and pick 47 afterward. I think maybe that's where you got flustered. I could rework that so the user can select the picks in any order - i just didn't think itwas a big deal. again it is explained in the INFO button

hope that helps

That might explain. I don't remember if it only didn't work when I did it in that order, but could be. Thanks.

What about if I acquire another teams 2018 draft pick?
Could you make it so that appears in my trade assets after, so that I can make another trade with that pick as well?

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
That might explain. I don't remember if it only didn't work when I did it in that order, but could be. Thanks.

What about if I acquire another teams 2018 draft pick?
Could you make it so that appears in my trade assets after, so that I can make another trade with that pick as well?

I'll put this on my list. I remember thinking that I need to do that, but I put it off as a non-essential at the time (as I had more pressing items to finish)

I'll post when/if I get to this

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
gliche in gr draft!

I rc'vd a system generated email about a issue with tonight's group draft
I'm looking into it now.

I have contacted the user that experienced the gliche and hopefully I'll get some useful feedback.

Also and this is related, the other day I opened up the gr draft so users could join
in progress (reluctantly)
I have reservations with that and I think that after tonight - I might pull that option and limit it to just those who sign in before start time.

hang in there, I'll resolve this ;)

spfan

May 4, 2009
I'll put this on my list. I remember thinking that I need to do that, but I put it off as a non-essential at the time (as I had more pressing items to finish)

I'll post when/if I get to this

Thanks

I rc'vd a system generated email about a issue with tonight's group draft
I'm looking into it now.

I have contacted the user that experienced the gliche and hopefully I'll get some useful feedback.

Also and this is related, the other day I opened up the gr draft so users could join
in progress (reluctantly)
I have reservations with that and I think that after tonight - I might pull that option and limit it to just those who sign in before start time.

hang in there, I'll resolve this ;)

Yes, I was in that group draft as well, first group draft I tried.
I was able to draft with my first 2 picks, but as soon as it stopped working for the VAN GM at 33rd, it messed up for a few of us. I assume you talked to the guy drafting for VAN or TOR?

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Thanks

Yes, I was in that group draft as well, first group draft I tried.
I was able to draft with my first 2 picks, but as soon as it stopped working for the VAN GM at 33rd, it messed up for a few of us. I assume you talked to the guy drafting for VAN or TOR?

I contacted the VAN rep but no reply yet. I really think the crux of the problem is the Join In Progress option. Last football season I had 2 group drafts have the same thing happen. I spent about 12-18 hrs trying to recreate it and looked at code until I was spent. Never could find the culprit. So I decided to disable the "join in progress" feature and from that point on there were 90 or so concsecutive group drafts that went without issue.

I did notice that the VAN rep was signed up to rep the Flyers initially but then apparently there was a late switch over to VAN. (At least that's what the data seems to be telling me) I may not hear back, so I'm going to have to disable that feature.

it's really not that big a deal if you think about. It's convenient for anyone who misses the cut-off for signing in - to be able to simply join in progress BUT I am going to have to remove that featue and revisit it in the off season.

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA

are you talkin about controlling more than 1 team in the 'Group Draft'?
At one time I actually had that feature, but I took it out. And I'm 99% sure
I won't bring that back. Too detailed to get into. nice thought though

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
This is absolutely amazing!! Great work man!!

Only thing that I have an issue with is that it won't let me sign up for a membership. ;)

If you can help me out with that, that'd be dope!! :handclap:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I picked NJ and using their trade up and down options, I turned all their picks into the 4th, 5th and 6th draft picks. lol

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Need opinions of Group Drafts

Overall I'm happy with the response to the app. I just wish more would try the group draft.

Whether you've tried the group draft or not, I'd like to hear opinions on it.

If you haven't used it, just simply tell me why. I understand (obviously) about the convenience of being able to do a individual simulation whenever you want to.

Maybe you'd participate in the group drafts if you saw alot more teams being represented. whatever your thoughts on it are. Or ideas to help make it more popular. :help:

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park
Overall I'm happy with the response to the app. I just wish more would try the group draft.

If you haven't used it, just simply tell me why. I understand (obviously) about the convenience of being able to do a individual simulation whenever you want to.

Maybe you'd participate in the group drafts if you saw alot more teams being represented. whatever your thoughts on it are. Or ideas to help make it more popular. :help:

I did the group draft once and enjoyed it. The only thing preventing me from using it more is the lack of people utilizing it.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
obviously I cant respond to all.
Relax with the rankings, I am using the rnkgs from TheDraftAnalyst.

I dont pretend to know who's over or under ranked. It's year 1 and I'm just starting this gig. As I confess I personally don't and have not followed the prospect pool like many of you. If anyone wants to send me a better 1-400 rankings I'd be happy to talk to you privately and if you're into it, I'll work with you.

as for those who don't like the fact that you need to sign up to get the full pkg.
It's completely based on the software design. I create personal files with your username as a sufix and its as simple as that. if thats a problem, then find a better app.

Hockeyprospect.com is by far....by far the best one. Buy the guide. Use it in your sim (if they would allow it).

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Hockeyprospect.com is by far....by far the best one. Buy the guide. Use it in your sim (if they would allow it).

Do they have an online version? I guess i can check that myself

Since that post you referenced, I've emersed myself into several ranking sites with good reputations and have made a genuine effort to make my rankings reflect a overall consensus. Not just the top 31 either. the top 150

thanks for the tip

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
I'm sure somebody has brought this up, but I'll chime in:

in the sim, Detroit has picks 9, 38, 71, 83, 88 in the first 3 rounds. This is leaving out a pick, as Detroit actually has 4 picks in the 3rd round this year: 71, 79, 83, and 88.

That pick was in limbo (I believe). I also see that NHL.com just released the FINAL draft order rd by rd. I will have 79 and any other discrepencies fixed by the end of today Thank you for pointing that out

update: went thru all 7 rds. found a few other discrepencies

Last edited:

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
just out of curiousity

I used my draft pk trade pt chart and here are the top 4 teams in terms of draft pk assets for this draft:

njd 4670 pts
phi 3791 pts
car 2983 pts
det 2833 pts
.... and last but not least
was 176 pts

i don't think the Caps will be trading up this year :laugh:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

I did one today and it was cool!! I'll have to do another one to really give you a good feedback, though!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad