Prospect Info: Drafting like Dundon

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
I still think the best way is to draft the best available player, especially in the 1st round. After that, if the player really doesn't serve any needs, you can still make a trade. For example, if we would have drafted Dahlin, we could have either traded him for a superstar foward (which is insane) or we could just trade out two other solid D-men, for example Pesce and Faulk for a 2nd line Center and a sniper on the wing.

Or Tom Dundon realizes you can also buy offense on the free agent market. (at least to a certain extent)

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So he won't take a defenseman in the 1st, will he take a goalie?

Let's say we are the back of the bubble or we've picked up another mid to late first next year by trading Faulk at the deadline, would you take a chance on a excellent goalie prospect?

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I'm hoping we can take a chance on this kid. He's supposed to be playing in the WJC this year for Denmark and has a Sv% for Medicine Hat of 0.931 after 19 games this season. He's eligible in this year's draft.

Oh, he's also 6'7". :amazed:

Mads Sogaard
I’m kinda burnt out on giant Danish goalies tbh

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
No goalies in the first unless the rest of the talent has really dropped off and it would be painful not to. Goalies are blindfolded dart throws at the draft. We took Anderson in the 7th? Many great goalies aren’t first rounders. It’s no sure thing they develop.

If we have a second first rounder and there’s a guy who makes sense there Id be less inclined to argue.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If we pick up another 2nd round pick this year, I'd push to use one on this kid. According to a few who watch him in the WHL, he is calm and and well positioned as well as being a big kid making a lot of saves on a mediocre team. His work load also is not small, so he is not just benefiting from a small sample size in terms of shots.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
The only 3 1st round goalies I can think of since like 2012 are Vasy (beast), Subban (likely bust?), and Samsanov (KHL beast, struggling rookie in AHL)

Jake Oettinger was picked at #26 by Dallas in 2017. Playing for BU, not performing to his draft position, imo. Colton point, who Dallas picked in the 5th round in 2016, is arguably a better prospect.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
If we pick up another 2nd round pick this year, I'd push to use one on this kid. According to a few who watch him in the WHL, he is calm and and well positioned as well as being a big kid making a lot of saves on a mediocre team. His work load also is not small, so he is not just benefiting from a small sample size in terms of shots.

Wolf is one I had my eye on for a later round.

Last edited:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
For goalies, I think Isiah Saville might be worth a 3rd round or later pick. His lowest save % during any junior season has been .915. His only blemish is a really bad Hlinka tournament. This year he is above .935 in the USHL, a league that has produced John Gibson, Casey DeSmith, and Phoenix Copley.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
For goalies, I think Isiah Saville might be worth a 3rd round or later pick. His lowest save % during any junior season has been .915. His only blemish is a really bad Hlinka tournament. He has also been This year he is above .935 in the USHL, a league that has produced John Gibson, Casey DeSmith, and Phoenix Copley.

Let's take him. The only other guy I know who had really bad Hlinka tournament is Patrik Laine.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I guess, for me, the question is did adding the scouts positively impact this past draft. Only then will I look at all questions surrounding drafting with any seriousness (personally, I think Dundon was just blowing smoke). So let's look at this past years draft:

1. Svechnikov - no brainer
2. Jack Drury - still playing at over a point per game pace for Harvard. This one looks tentatively positive.
3. (our 1st of 2 4th round picks, but our 3rd pick) Luke Henman - this was one of the most curious picks in recent memory. He's slight with a build that likely won't allow him to add a lot of weigh. He's got a weak shot, but is allegedly a very heady player. His D+1 stats look a lot like his draft year stats. This feels like a waste of a pick at this point. Personally, I'd a redrafted Adam Mascherin who is playing very well for Texas in the AHL.
4. Lenni Killinen - from the few reports I've read, he started the season injured I believe but has played pretty well since his return. Can't argue with this pick.
5. (our 5th pick but this was a 6th rounder) Jesper Sellgren - apparently he's quite a heady player based on the Swedes comments I've read, but he's tiny and not excelling given he's an over-ager. In the end, the real sin is that we didn't use this pick to grab Ville Vehvilainen, who is, yet again, tearing it up in Liiga play. This was an idiotic move on Waddell's part, especially given....
6. Jacob Kucharski - as much as I wanted to like this pick and enjoy Jake's uncle's comments, right now this looks like a wasted pick. He's not played particularly well even after the trade to Omaha (although in his defense, that team looks like a bit of a train wreck).

Overall it looks like we wasted 3 of our 6 picks (although to be fair the jury is probably still out on a couple). However the fact that, given our desperate need for goalies, we didn't pick Vehvilainen when he was available late seems pretty damning in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad