Drafting a woman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
women playing against women may look like they are good, but, i had the chance to scrimage against 1/2 of a team canada womens gold medal winning team, (dont think Wickenheiser was there, as she'd have been too young still ...i'm a 'bit' older than her) and let me just say, that 2 of them were pretty good, as they were great skaters but the rest sucked. ...and the 2 'good' ones were good enough to play on a mens beer league team at best,
so, there's the realty of it.
other than as a goalie, its highly unlikely to ever happen, unless she is an exceptional physical specimen that you will ever see a woman in the NHL other than as a publicity stunt. ...i mean if a guy can play at 160lb and 5'8" then an equally talented woman should be able to as well, but, lets have one dominate the OHL before we think of the NHL.

baseball should be possible though, surprised none have yet.
Do you realize women’s hockey has made a lot of progress in the last 50 years old man?

Reactions: uncleben

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think we have a replacement for Campbell
colombe-jacobsen-960-mighty-ducks-watnjpg.jpg

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Manon Rhéaume

The 5-foot-7, 130-pound Rhéaume had the third-best goals-against average of any Lightning goalie during preseason camp. After her brief stint with Tampa Bay—she played in another preseason game against the Boston Bruins in 1993—Rhéaume competed in the International Hockey League for several teams.

View attachment 565216View attachment 565219

Today marks 30 years since Manon Rheaume made history, becoming the first and only woman to play an NHL exhibition game

In 1992, Rhéaume became the first woman to play an NHL game when she tended the crease for the Lightning.
She played a period against St.Louis in the pre-season, getting scored on twice on 9 shots. Its was widely known as a publicity stunt.

I believe she played another period the following pre-season, no idea how she did. But if there were a position where a woman could possibly break in, it would be in the net, so who knows.

Reactions: ITM

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
because it's dangerous. Men and Women are built differently. there's a reason why Women aren't included in real professional sports.
That’s not a good reason or fair to say. There are women athlete’s that are big and strong too. Some day there will be a woman who is extremely good at hockey and will get drafted and hopefully play in the NHL. They will have just as good a chance of getting injured as any other player on the ice.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Manon Rhéaume

The 5-foot-7, 130-pound Rhéaume had the third-best goals-against average of any Lightning goalie during preseason camp. After her brief stint with Tampa Bay—she played in another preseason game against the Boston Bruins in 1993—Rhéaume competed in the International Hockey League for several teams.

View attachment 565216View attachment 565219

Today marks 30 years since Manon Rheaume made history, becoming the first and only woman to play an NHL exhibition game

In 1992, Rhéaume became the first woman to play an NHL game when she tended the crease for the Lightning.
She just joined the Kings and I must say she's aged very well.

Kings hire Rheaume as Hockey Operations and Prospect Advisor - TSN.ca

1657224090887.png

Reactions: the squared circle

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Posters in this thread linking babylon bee videos and the daily wire are the same snowflakes whining about women being hired and promoted within the org. Would hope the mods would be able to clean up this stuff before it infects others, Obvious bait thread but it did bring out the usual suspects so it makes sense.
nice leap there bud. Oh because someone says something I disagree with they must also say this as a way to invalidate whatever they said to hurt my feewings. I don’t have an issue with women being hired in the organization so long as the organization feels that they would add significant enough value as an individual (not as a woman, whatever that means) that they reasonably could not expect or expect more from another candidate. That’s kinda how the hiring process works. And again, you don’t know what a woman is so why are you talking about women being hired in the organization?

Also it’s funny you mention snowflakes and whining yet subsequently resort to crying to the mods to delete anything of a different perspective that might invalidate your worldview or might “infect” others which only comes across as an indirect admission that your positions are indefensible and cult like which cannot be backed with reason which is why you wouldn’t want it to “infect” others and then end with categorizing everyone who hold different positions than you in one category. Sounds like a snow flake walks like a snowflake and resorts to a “no you” level of a response. At least use your own terminologies and memes.

God forbid some people hold to an opinion differently than whatever cnn and fox news and universities push on them based on the flavour of the day. By your own epistemic standard your views are incorrect because in 10 years they will be something else. Stop being so proud of something so fickle.

Reactions: the squared circle

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Deceptive thread. Please close it.

On draft day, can we please be excused from Trojan horse threads? There’s obviously a singular member who is fixated on advancing an agenda that bears little in reality to actual entailments of the NHL or any other men’s professional league.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
And to add, an unqualified journalist and a Zamboni driver also played in the NHL. The seventh round looks to be a treasure trove of all kinds of possibilities by way of introducing the unqualified for one off appearances…and maybe even more than at the once in 30 year rate!

Sounds like a good use of energy and focus.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
The physiological differences between the sexes make it a long shot, but if there's an outlier who tests well against male players, I wouldn't be opposed to giving it a shot. Maybe not a 7th rounder, but a free agent.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
This isn't the 1980s. There's no reason an exceptional high IQ women player couldn't play in the NHL and do well. Every single year we see more and more 18 year old boys and smaller players finding a place on an NHL roster.

You can dance around it all you want, but it is sexist to assume it could never happen.

All in all, this thread is pretty gross and a great way to make sure any women that think about posting here do the smart thing and go elsewhere.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Physically in comparison to men they are smaller and weaker. That's not supposed to be disrespectful or sexist, it's a simple fact. The NHL is an extremely physical league played by the top tier of athletes, it'll be almost impossible for a woman to break into that (unless the male talent pool suddenly diminishes by a sizeable amount).

Women should absolutely be getting into front office roles and things of that nature, there's nothing that should stop them from that. But the actual game is different and has different requirements

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mclaren55

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Maybe a bit out of left field but with Haley Wickenheiser being promoted to assistant GM(among others) right before the draft could we possibly be selecting a woman in the draft? Possibly with our 7th round pick? I know there was recently a woman who was drafted into the CHL, named Chloe Primerano, so the door has opened in my opinion.

Also, would you be alright with it if they did? Personally I think it would be great.
What do you have against 7th round picks? Pierre Engvall was a 7th round pick, Andreas Johnsson, Carl Gunnarsson, Anton Stralman, and even Shawn Thornton were all Leafs 7th round picks. Those guys combined for thousands of NHL games, and you want to just throw a pick away? Why? Who is this amazing female player worth taking? I didn't see her ranked for some reason....

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Scientifically yes, women don’t have as much testosterone and strength as men in general. If we compare a women sports vs. men sports then yes, you will have a dominant result of one over the other. But that’s not the question at hand here. We are talking about drafting a single woman into a men’s league. In theory, if a woman is better, faster, stronger than the some of the men in the draft pool, I would hope we would pick her.

It’s like comparing female firefighters to male firefighters. Who do you want dragging your unconscious body out of a burning building? You would probably say the man? I’m a 220lb man so it wouldn’t be easy. I want the strongest mother****er there to pull me out. I don’t care if it’s a man or woman, just the most qualified person.

So to my point, in a draft I want my team to pick the best player available. If that player is a woman then I am all for it, and it will probably happen one day.

Physically in comparison to men they are smaller and weaker. That's not supposed to be disrespectful or sexist, it's a simple fact. The NHL is an extremely physical league played by the top tier of athletes, it'll be almost impossible for a woman to break into that (unless the male talent pool suddenly diminishes by a sizeable amount).

Women should absolutely be getting into front office roles and things of that nature, there's nothing that should stop them from that. But the actual game is different and has different requirements
In general for sure. But there could be a superstar woman some day that could play in the league

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Leafidelity

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
Scientifically yes, women don’t have as much testosterone and strength as men in general. If we compare a women sports vs. men sports then yes, you will have a dominant result of one over the other. But that’s not the question at hand here. We are talking about drafting a single woman into a men’s league. In theory, if a woman is better, faster, stronger than the some of the men in the draft pool, I would hope we would pick her.

It’s like comparing female firefighters to male firefighters. Who do you want dragging your unconscious body out of a burning building? You would probably say the man? I’m a 220lb man so it wouldn’t be easy. I want the strongest mother****er there to pull me out. I don’t care if it’s a man or woman, just the most qualified person.

So to my point, in a draft I want my team to pick the best player available. If that player is a woman then I am all for it, and it will probably happen one day.

In general for sure. But there could be a superstar woman some day that could play in the league
Any comparison you appeal to that’s based in fact will compel you to confront any appeal to the absurd as a reasonable route in verifying truth.

Overall proficiency where strength is concerned: Firefighters, soldiers, hockey players: Male, male, male. And everyone knows it. Everyone also knows and accepts women’s rights as fundamental and good for a just society and no one needs the daily reminders to that fact.

IF you are as scientifically devout as you imply you should do a dry run on odds of this to be celebrated and anticipated female hockey player playing in the NHL someday soon.

And why the NHL and not…the KHL? The AHL? The WHL? The OHL?

Seems your very strong preference discounts any consideration of graduation.

Where does graduation fit into your calculus?

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Playing in a pro league like the NHL, NFL, etc. is a lot more difficult physically and socially than having Marcia Brady join the Frontier Scouts and her brother Peter paying her back by joining the Sunflower Girls.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Listen, I am happy with the progress of women getting behind benches and into head offices but I can confidently say a woman isn't going to play in the NHL and with only having 3 picks, it would be an absolute waste to do so.

Also pretty sure they'd be deemed ineligible anyway or something.

I don't think there's any eligibility issue. Leagues like the NHL / NBA do not have rules against women playing AFAIK. Women's leagues were originally created because if all genders competed together in one league, then (depending on the sport) you may see no women competing at all.

Of course these days it's fair game for men to play in women's leagues.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Haley And her dominate Olympic team did a minor midget aaa super series in Alberta and … beyond Haley rag dolling Deen Pheneuf, the team did not fair very well at all.

It was even non contact.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
She played a period against St.Louis in the pre-season, getting scored on twice on 9 shots. Its was widely known as a publicity stunt.

I believe she played another period the following pre-season, no idea how she did. But if there were a position where a woman could possibly break in, it would be in the net, so who knows.

2 goals on 9 shots is still better than the goaltending the leafs got for much of last season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad