Drafting a woman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegChairGM

Jun 29, 2021
Maybe a bit out of left field but with Haley Wickenheiser being promoted to assistant GM(among others) right before the draft could we possibly be selecting a woman in the draft? Possibly with our 7th round pick? I know there was recently a woman who was drafted into the CHL, named Chloe Primerano, so the door has opened in my opinion.

Also, would you be alright with it if they did? Personally I think it would be great.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Listen, I am happy with the progress of women getting behind benches and into head offices but I can confidently say a woman isn't going to play in the NHL and with only having 3 picks, it would be an absolute waste to do so.

Also pretty sure they'd be deemed ineligible anyway or something.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not the first time a woman was drafted in the CHL (only the first woman skater), and the CHL can afford to make symbolic selections. NHL picks, even 7ths, are too valuable to be used on symbolic selections, even though the Islanders technically did it with a 5th not too long ago (to select a Chinese defenseman who was nowhere near good enough to make the NHL).

If someone was able to perform, just like the coaching and management hires, they would be considered. Does not seem like there are any out there right now though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe if you're the Montreal Canadiens and had 14 picks in one draft you could afford to make history, but I'd probably just conserve the picks on more conventional picks and invite the female player to camp or sign them to an ECHL or AHL deal if you were really committed to the project.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
You realize the youngest player on the women's Olympic team was 21 and barely played, right? So drafting an amateur would make no sense at all unless there's some 6'2 generational prodigy coming up?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not the first time a woman was drafted in the CHL (only the first woman skater), and the CHL can afford to make symbolic selections. NHL picks, even 7ths, are too valuable to be used on symbolic selections, even though the Islanders technically did it with a 5th not too long ago (to select a Chinese defenseman who was nowhere near good enough to make the NHL).

If someone was able to perform, just like the coaching and management hires, they would be considered. Does not seem like there are any out there right now though.
New Jersey did it with Brodeur's son.

Pissing away a pick on someone with no chance would be an insult to the scouting staff who spends all year on the road spending over 100 nights in hotels and racking up ridiculous miles.

Last edited:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Actually now that I think of it, no.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I suggested drafting Ann-Renee Desbiens some time ago, May as well pursue every avenue.

Ann-Renee Desbiens' international resume is flawless, and she's one of the best goalies to ever come out of the NCAA. Everything is coming over in her first Olympics as a starting goalie for Team Canada.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
New Jersey did it with Brodeur's son.

Pissing away a pick on someone with no chance would be an insult to the scouting staff who spends all year on the road spending over 100 nights in hotels and racking up ridiculous miles.

Are you telling me taking Taro Tsujimoto was a mistake?!?!?! :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Buds17

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Listen, I am happy with the progress of women getting behind benches and into head offices but I can confidently say a woman isn't going to play in the NHL and with only having 3 picks, it would be an absolute waste to do so.

Also pretty sure they'd be deemed ineligible anyway or something.

Manon Rhéaume

The 5-foot-7, 130-pound Rhéaume had the third-best goals-against average of any Lightning goalie during preseason camp. After her brief stint with Tampa Bay—she played in another preseason game against the Boston Bruins in 1993—Rhéaume competed in the International Hockey League for several teams.

1657156541068.png
1657156668938.png

Today marks 30 years since Manon Rheaume made history, becoming the first and only woman to play an NHL exhibition game

In 1992, Rhéaume became the first woman to play an NHL game when she tended the crease for the Lightning.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Manon Rhéaume

The 5-foot-7, 130-pound Rhéaume had the third-best goals-against average of any Lightning goalie during preseason camp. After her brief stint with Tampa Bay—she played in another preseason game against the Boston Bruins in 1993—Rhéaume competed in the International Hockey League for several teams.

View attachment 565216View attachment 565219

Today marks 30 years since Manon Rheaume made history, becoming the first and only woman to play an NHL exhibition game

In 1992, Rhéaume became the first woman to play an NHL game when she tended the crease for the Lightning.
That was a publicity stunt more than anything.
Also, pretty sure a lot of people had a crush on her back then, myself included.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I don’t think it would be a smart idea. A lot of controversy can come from it

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
imagine you worked your ass off fought injuries and you were next on the teams draft list in the 7th round but they had an agenda to draft someone for PR reasons who will never play instead of you.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Manon Rhéaume

View attachment 565216View attachment 565219

That was a publicity stunt more than anything.
Also, pretty sure a lot of people had a crush on her back then, myself included.

I don't want to downplay it so in context with the thread, a team did not use a draft pick on a woman and she did not play a game that could have effect in the standings.

I don't want to say anything beyond that to avoid disrespecting anyone.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad