Drafting a woman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
No women could play in the NHL for various reasons

Just skill/talent/physicality wise women hockey players would match up with 15-18 year Olds in the CHL (not the elite guys who get drafted but the others who go on and play 4 years in the NCAA or 2nd and 3rd league in Europe)

Some of the greatest women athletes in their reactive sports (Serena Williams, Rounda Rousey, Sue Bird etc) are worse considerably then unranked and low level professional male players in those sports

The goal isn't to make men and women play the same sport in the same league. The goal should be how can women's sports/leagues be grown on a global/national scale to gain credibility and help generate significant cash flow to allow for them to be taken as a serious sports consumption option for both male and female fans.

Whether that is investing further in the current product, alternating women's sports to make the sport a simplified version of the male counterpart (WNBA lowering rims for example or having smaller balls), marketing with heavy sponsors to raise awareness on top women athletes, or something else I'm entirely is up for discussion

Women and Men can't and shouldn't be playing in the same league. It will end up with poor results and set back both respective genders actual leagues substantially

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't want to downplay it so in context with the thread, a team did not use a draft pick on a woman and she did not play a game that could have effect in the standings.

I don't want to say anything beyond that to avoid disrespecting anyone.
I don't think it is disrespectful to state facts.
If my memory didn't fail me, she made the Team Canada but wasn't the starter. Honestly, she played some exhibition game or games and thats about it. Didn't a rapper also played some exhibition games on PTO for the Raptors or some other teams too.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
No women could play in the NHL for various reasons

Just skill/talent/physicality wise women hockey players would match up with 15-18 year Olds in the CHL (not the elite guys who get drafted but the others who go on and play 4 years in the NCAA or 2nd and 3rd league in Europe)

Some of the greatest women athletes in their reactive sports (Serena Williams, Rounda Rousey, Sue Bird etc) are worse considerably then unranked and low level professional male players in those sports

The goal isn't to make men and women play the same sport in the same league. The goal should be how can women's sports/leagues be grown on a global/national scale to gain credibility and help generate significant cash flow to allow for them to be taken as a serious sports consumption option for both male and female fans.

Whether that is investing further in the current product, alternating women's sports to make the sport a simplified version of the male counterpart (WNBA lowering rims for example or having smaller balls), marketing with heavy sponsors to raise awareness on top women athletes, or something else I'm entirely is up for discussion

Women and Men can't and shouldn't be playing in the same league. It will end up with poor results and set back both respective genders actual leagues substantially
Unless it is springboard or platform diving, lol.

For real, I agree with you. It is not disrespectful to women to say they just can't complete with men in Hockey. Dr. Wichenheiser was probably the best Women's Hockey Player ever, but at best she could only played in 3rd Division in Finland.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Probably not much physical difference between who else Dubas was going to draft.

Just joking folks.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
If there was a woman out there with a chance of getting drafted you we would have heard about her by now.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
imagine you worked your ass off fought injuries and you were next on the teams draft list in the 7th round but they had an agenda to draft someone for PR reasons who will never play instead of you.

If you are talking about a 7th, your chances are not great and there are plenty of undrafted talent that make it regardless. That is not really a big deal.

Reactions: Felidae

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
The biological talent simply doesn't exist to compete in the NHL, especially since it works on a merit based system. Unfortunately for many, reality exists.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
If there was a woman out there with a chance of getting drafted you we would have heard about her by now.
The only kind of woman that would have a chance in hell of playing in the NHL would be one that use to be a man. Seriously all you have to do is watch a show like American Ninja Warrior where everyone runs the same obstacle course and see how vastly different the results are even among the best, most fit women vs the men.

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Posters in this thread linking babylon bee videos and the daily wire are the same snowflakes whining about women being hired and promoted within the org. Would hope the mods would be able to clean up this stuff before it infects others, Obvious bait thread but it did bring out the usual suspects so it makes sense.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Posters in this thread linking babylon bee videos and the daily wire are the same snowflakes whining about women being hired and promoted within the org. Would hope the mods would be able to clean up this stuff before it infects others, Obvious bait thread but it did bring out the usual suspects so it makes sense.
There is a major difference between on ice and front office. No one needs to link anything, Biologically women playing with men especially in a contact sport is just not an equal playing field. Fromt office any qualified women could run a team at the highest levels.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

The goal should be how can women's sports/leagues be grown on a global/national scale to gain credibility and help generate significant cash flow to allow for them to be taken as a serious sports consumption option for both male and female fans.

The first quote explains why the second one will never happen.

seems like a massive waste of an asset even if that asset is a low valued 7th

It is actually surprising what percentage of 7th rounders play at least one game in the league.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Maybe a bit out of left field but with Haley Wickenheiser being promoted to assistant GM(among others) right before the draft could we possibly be selecting a woman in the draft? Possibly with our 7th round pick? I know there was recently a woman who was drafted into the CHL, named Chloe Primerano, so the door has opened in my opinion.

Also, would you be alright with it if they did? Personally I think it would be great.
women playing against women may look like they are good, but, i had the chance to scrimage against 1/2 of a team canada womens gold medal winning team, (dont think Wickenheiser was there, as she'd have been too young still ...i'm a 'bit' older than her) and let me just say, that 2 of them were pretty good, as they were great skaters but the rest sucked. ...and the 2 'good' ones were good enough to play on a mens beer league team at best,
so, there's the realty of it.
other than as a goalie, its highly unlikely to ever happen, unless she is an exceptional physical specimen that you will ever see a woman in the NHL other than as a publicity stunt. ...i mean if a guy can play at 160lb and 5'8" then an equally talented woman should be able to as well, but, lets have one dominate the OHL before we think of the NHL.

baseball should be possible though, surprised none have yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad