Draft/Trade Options

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
We need a top pairing guy, and I don't think Vatanen is that.

I totally agree with this. I don't think Vatanen substantially improves the team. I think he's just another middle-pair defenseman.

If we're going to trade Tatar or Nyquist, I would rather, since no one's going to trade us a top pair guy for anything short of Larkin, send one of them for a prospect we feel actually has top pair potential. I have no idea if any of the guys in this draft do, so maybe this isn't the year to do that, but I do know that this team isn't ever going to be a threat with guys like Mike Green or Vatanen masquerading as top pairing players.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Ok, since the thread is up.

NYI: Nyquist, Sproul, Detroit 2nd 2016( for an add if the value isn't quite right, Holmstrom)
Detroit: Hamonic, Rights to Martin

---

Edmonton: Hamonic, Pulkkinen, Smith
Detroit: 4th overall, Yakupov

---

Arizona: 4th overall
Detroit: 7th overall, 37th overall

---

Montreal: 7th overall
Detroit: 9th overall, Minnesota 2nd 2016.

---

Detroit trades Nyquist, Sproul, Pulkkinen, Smith, 2016 2nd(maybe Holmstrom)

For

Yakupov, 9th overall, 2 2nd rounds picks this year, Rights to Martin.

The idea is to deal assets that can turn into other assets.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

NYI: Nyquist, Sproul, Detroit 2nd 2016( for an add if the value isn't quite right, Holmstrom)

---

---

---

---

For

You're that guy who used trades on Craigslist to turn a paper clip into a car. I'd obviously be cool with this result...this of course would be pretty tough to accomplish.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
You're that guy who used trades on Craigslist to turn a paper clip into a car. I'd obviously be cool with this result...this of course would be pretty tough to accomplish.

If you could turn a paperclip into a car, would you?

The general idea is to get the 4th overall.

Isles may deal Hamonic for a vet forward like Nyquist after the no show in Tampa and Okposo leaving. They have the depth to cover his loss on defense. I would argue the deal isn't up to what Isles fans would like, but to me it looks like a typical NHL deal. (if anyone disagrees, I understand that too).

After Detroit gets Hamonic, dealing him for the 4th is a no brainer. He wants to go there and they have a glaring need(much like Detroit). Take a struggling player back helps with the cap for Edmonton. Detroit gives up a young player and a UFA that Edmonton wouldn't have trouble dealing in the process.

After that, simply move down and aquire picks.

It may not be Holland like, but those are the kind of moves I'd try to make.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If you could turn a paperclip into a car, would you?

The general idea is to get the 4th overall.

Isles may deal Hamonic for a vet forward like Nyquist after the no show in Tampa and Okposo leaving. They have the depth to cover his loss on defense. I would argue the deal isn't up to what Isles fans would like, but to me it looks like a typical NHL deal. (if anyone disagrees, I understand that too).

After Detroit gets Hamonic, dealing him for the 4th is a no brainer. He wants to go there and they have a glaring need(much like Detroit). Take a struggling player back helps with the cap for Edmonton. Detroit gives up a young player and a UFA that Edmonton wouldn't have trouble dealing in the process.

After that, simply move down and aquire picks.

It may not be Holland like, but those are the kind of moves I'd try to make.

Yeah I absolutely would. I think both Harmonic trades are the hardest part. I think Hamonic'll cost us more than that and I think we'll need to send a bit more to Edmonton for that return...still they're definitely trades I could see happening but I think we easily win them both. Everything else would be pretty easy to do and we get a pretty sweet return.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Yeah I absolutely would. I think both Harmonic trades are the hardest part. I think Hamonic'll cost us more than that and I think we'll need to send a bit more to Edmonton for that return...still they're definitely trades I could see happening but I think we easily win them both. Everything else would be pretty easy to do and we get a pretty sweet return.

My thinking is that Hamonic wants out, and the Isles need a top 6 RW who's a core guy. They get that in Nyquist. Plus a little bit of value back. Take out the rights to Martin and I'm ok with that.(alfthough, I want him in Red and White)

Hamonic to Edmonton may be tricky, but Pulkkinen and Smith are in the deal to help out. Yakupov had a horrible year, and while not a dump, his salary off the books would help Edmonton. Hell Pulkkinen maybe produce more than Yakupov next year. Smith is a defenseman that can move the puck, and they can deal if they don't like him for an asset.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

If we could get that trade, regardless of the other ones, I would be ecstatic. Martin is the prototypical 4th liner and Hamonic would upgrade our defense big time.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

---

---

---

---

For

Not sure how realistic these particular trades are but this is the kind of creative trading that holland will have to do if he wants to make this team competitive right now

There are always trades to be had if you are willing to take risks. get to work kenny

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Not sure how realistic these particular trades are but this is the kind of creative trading that holland will have to do if he wants to make this team competitive right now

There are always trades to be had if you are willing to take risks. get to work kenny

now if only we can pull of off a move simmiliar to that in the movie draft day

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
WPG open to trading their 22nd pick...what can detroit offer to get that?

use the 16th on Fabro 22nd on Rubtsov?

TheIslesFan

Apr 2, 2008
NY
Hey guys.

The islanders will be looking to add a top line winger this offseason.
- Okposo will likely not be offered a big deal
- Nielsen will likely stay put
- The jury is out on Martin.. We sure hope he stays.

Anyway as most have seen, Hamonic is off the market

Do you guys see us a good trade partners? What trade ideas do you guys have that include a top 6 winger?

I would suggest something, but I really don't know your needs.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Hey guys.

Do you guys see us a good trade partners? What trade ideas do you guys have that include a top 6 winger?

Yeah i think we came to the conclusion on the big board that the Wings and Isles don't make good trading partners in this scenario. Because for us to move either one of Tatar/Nyquist we would be seeking a Top 4 RHD D man in return actually most likely a top pairing RHD and the Isles wouldn't have one the we would be seeking at least not willing to move any ways. So pretty sure that neither team would be much help to the other.

TheIslesFan

Apr 2, 2008
NY
Yeah i think we came to the conclusion on the big board that the Wings and Isles don't make good trading partners in this scenario. Because for us to move either one of Tatar/Nyquist we would be seeking a Top 4 RHD D man in return actually most likely a top pairing RHD and the Isles wouldn't have one the we would be seeking at least not willing to move any ways. So pretty sure that neither team would be much help to the other.

Thanks for the response.

Very well said.

Cheers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hey guys.

Good, hope we go after him hard.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I'm all for a trade for a top pairing guy. Byfuglien would have been great, but he re-signed. Shattenkirk would be awesome, but who knows if we have the pieces to even get him.

I like Vatanen... but he is a middle pair + PP guy. I don't really know that you want him going against top forward lines every night.

Yeahhhh....Except for the part where he was on the Ducks top PK unit during the entire regular season and playoffs and was 1 second away from being the #1 PKer for Anaheim this year.

And where did Anaheim's PK rank during the regular season and in the playoffs? #1.

That perception of Vatanen is the size/offensive bias talking. Vatanen is a square defensively. He's Anaheim's #3 defenseman and still has room to grow.

I really think if Vatanen broke that 5'11 threshold, he'd be much more appreciated.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeahhhh....Except for the part where he was on the Ducks top PK unit during the entire regular season and playoffs and was 1 second away from being the #1 PKer for Anaheim this year.

And where did Anaheim's PK rank during the regular season and in the playoffs? #1.

That perception of Vatanen is the size/offensive bias talking. Vatanen is a square defensively. He's Anaheim's #3 defenseman and still has room to grow.

I really think if Vatanen broke that 5'11 threshold, he'd be much more appreciated.

Well, I still reiterate the last sentence I wrote.

And if he broke that 5'11" threshold, he would be a different player entirely.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That would be awesome. I don't know what we could trade to get it though.

i think the Jets need LD. Their top 9 Fs are pretty young and good (Little, Wheeler, Ehlers, Schieflie, Laine, Connor, Stafford and Perrault ), and they have great RD depth (Buff, Myers & Trouba)

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah after looking at everything my preference remains for using Tatar/Nyquist in a trade for a D and perhaps moving down in the draft to 20ish if lots of guys we like are still available at 16.

Many seem to want Fowler/Shattenkirk but I prefer Vatanen at this point. He'll cost less, and I'm not convinced Fowler is better than him. Shattenkirk being a UFA soon scares me away from using big pieces in acquiring him. We can't afford a blunder. I think Vatanen-Dekeyser will be a phenomenal second line D when we address the first line and is good enough in the #1 role right now. Both of them are #2-3 defenseman and could even turn into true top line guys.

My ideal scenario:
Tatar+Jensen for Vatanen
16 for ~20+~40
Draft Fabbro/Bean/McAvoy/Rubstov (in that order of preference) at 20. Pick up Clague/Krys/Dineen/Green/Fox/etc. In the second. Use two of the 4-7 picks on D as well (preferably one being a crazy Hakan pick) Maybe pick up a goalie In the late rounds. Use the other picks on forwards.

As far as forwards go sign Radulov, forget about Stamkos. Hope Radulov brings Datsyuk with him. Roll this line-up:
Mantha-Larkin-Z
AA-Dats-Radulov
Abby-Sheahan-Nyquist
Nosek-Glendening-Jurco
Pulks-Frk-Callahan as extras. Trade off any of those bottom guys you don't believe in.
DK-Vatanen
XO-Green
Kronwall-Marchenko

Mrazek
Howard

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Yeah after looking at everything my preference remains for using Tatar/Nyquist in a trade for a D and perhaps moving down in the draft to 20ish if lots of guys we like are still available at 16.

Many seem to want Fowler/Shattenkirk but I prefer Vatanen at this point. He'll cost less, and I'm not convinced Fowler is better than him. Shattenkirk being a UFA soon scares me away from using big pieces in acquiring him. We can't afford a blunder. I think Vatanen-Dekeyser will be a phenomenal second line D when we address the first line and is good enough in the #1 role right now. Both of them are #2-3 defenseman and could even turn into true top line guys.

My ideal scenario:
Tatar+Jensen for Vatanen
16 for ~20+~40
Draft Fabbro/Bean/McAvoy/Rubstov (in that order of preference) at 20. Pick up Clague/Krys/Dineen/Green/Fox/etc. In the second. Use two of the 4-7 picks on D as well (preferably one being a crazy Hakan pick) Maybe pick up a goalie In the late rounds. Use the other picks on forwards.

As far as forwards go sign Radulov, forget about Stamkos. Hope Radulov brings Datsyuk with him. Roll this line-up:
Mantha-Larkin-Z
AA-Dats-Radulov
Abby-Sheahan-Nyquist
Nosek-Glendening-Jurco
Pulks-Frk-Callahan as extras. Trade off any of those bottom guys you don't believe in.
DK-Vatanen
XO-Green
Kronwall-Marchenko

Mrazek
Howard

No Big E? I doubt he goes anywhere. XO would be the odd man out in this scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad