Draft Prospects Hockey - Draft Simulator App

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sucks, Dan! That draft simulator is great, but a part of me is happy that it got hacked so i don't spend so much time on it.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Hey Everyone, just looking to get some input for our upcoming www.draftprospectshockey.com 2021 Draft Simulator. We already have some exciting developments that have been coded to the new sim for this coming spring but are open to any other suggestions. If there is anything you want to see added now is the time to voice your opinion. If you wanted to weigh in on the team needs, trade values, rankings, randomizer, etc. now is your chance. Don't be shy as we want this upgraded version to be even more enjoyable for fans of the draft than last season was.

Reactions: gucc

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hey Everyone, just looking to get some input for our upcoming www.draftprospectshockey.com 2021 Draft Simulator. We already have some exciting developments that have been coded to the new sim for this coming spring but are open to any other suggestions. If there is anything you want to see added now is the time to voice your opinion. If you wanted to weigh in on the team needs, trade values, rankings, randomizer, etc. now is your chance. Don't be shy as we want this upgraded version to be even more enjoyable for fans of the draft than last season was.

I used it a bazillion times, it was a lot of fun.

- The team needs were sometimes off the mark, maybe just needed more research. Example: Detroit had more organizational strength at RD than anywhere else in their lineup but that was listed as their top need. It also felt unimportant sometimes - for most clubs you need everything so just take the best player available. Having a priority list ten points long felt unrealistic.

- There is a discontinuity in trade values in between rounds, e.g. pick 30 was worth about 50% more than pick #32, which obviously isn't right. That should be smoothed.

- It would be nice to be able to switch between as many different draft rankings as possible. I would use that as a way to randomize results more. If I used the same list with the randomization a bit higher, I'd still get mostly repeated results. If I put the randomization super high I'd get implausible results. Then again, Chinakhov went at #21, so seeming implausible is maybe plausible! Either way I enjoy the variety of using more lists.

I'm curious - are there some players with higher pick variance than others, is that programmed in in some way? I think that would make sense to add. A guy like Lukas Reichel or Tristen Robins would be all over the place in terms of draft ranking. Braden Schneider, not so much. That could help make the randomness feel more plausible.

Edit: One more thought. I'd like the needs list to be replaced with more of a narrative paragraph describing what the team needs. The needs on the list are sometimes misspecified and sometimes too specific. For instance Anton Lundell neither suffices as a playmaking center or as a power center, the top two points on Ottawa's needs list. That doesn't seem right. I'd rather be able to read about what the team needs and decide for myself whether the player takes care of the need.

Last edited:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I also used the simulator quite a bit and you and your team deserve a lot of credit—great fun.

That said, I agree with this:
- It would be nice to be able to switch between as many different draft rankings as possible. I would use that as a way to randomize results more. If I used the same list with the randomization a bit higher, I'd still get mostly repeated results. If I put the randomization super high I'd get implausible results. Then again, Chinakhov went at #21, so seeming implausible is maybe plausible! Either way I enjoy the variety of using more lists.

Some players just seemed to be available no matter what settings, while others were always gone when they should have been around say every other draft.

I think it would be great (probably not practical) if it could be used by multiple people but didn't require 32 users considering the time/effort that takes. Say an option for 5 users to represent their favorite teams.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

- Big one, and probably not doable, but it would be really cool if you couldn't just trade your pick only for (an)other pick(s) but could also trade a player for a pick. Lets say there are IRL rumors that your team wants to trade a specific player, would be cool if you could actually do that in game for draftpicks to see who you could potentially end up with. As I said, probably undoable.

- Making your own ranking and using it to draft.

- Drafting with other players: you and a couple of your friends choose a team to draft with, other teams are completed by the AI.

- Also: adding more professional rankings.

Keep up the good work guys! Had a lot of fun with the draftsim. :)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
- There is a discontinuity in trade values in between rounds, e.g. pick 30 was worth about 50% more than pick #32, which obviously isn't right. That should be smoothed.

I agree that the trade values need to be tweaked. Otherwise, though, I loved what you did last year, especially when you added Bob M's eval option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad