GDT: Draft Position Thread.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, I think we all know we're falling faster than a love addict on molly.

I am still cheering for us to win, but I'm not expecting much after trading Tanev and Hanifin, and I am also hoping the teams behind us win because I understand there is value in picking higher.

After being curb stomped by the Avs tonight we have 17 games left and the 11th worst record in the league, or as you know the 11th overall pick going into the draft lottery.

____________________________________________________________________________________
I will update the following section as needed:

So this chart is kind of like a magic/tragic number chart except it shows how many wins/losses are needed to make it impossible for the Flames to catch/fall to them.

For teams ahead of us, a Flames loss, or a win for that specific team will lower the number by 0.5. For teams behind us, a Flames win, or a loss for that specific team will lower the number by 0.5.

Tie-breakers are not factored in.

View attachment 838138

Last edited:
Reactions: DFF and Boomstick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So far today we have...
  • Sabres @ Wings - DET wins 4-1
  • Sens @ Isles - OTT wins 4-3 in OT
  • Rangers @ Pens - NYR wins 7-4
  • Devils @ Coyotes - ARI wins 4-1
  • Sharks @ Blue Jackets - CBJ wins 4-2
  • Habs @ Flames - CGY wins 5-2
  • Wild @ Blues - Blues lead 2-1, mid-3rd
  • Preds @ Kraken - Tied 0-0, just underway
  • Caps @ Canucks - VAN leads 1-0 early in 1st
Blues won 3-2 in OT. Nashville won 4-1. Washington won 2-1.

Sunday's games.
  • NYI @ NYR
  • NJD @ VGK
  • WPG @ CBJ
  • SJS @ CHI
  • CAR @ OTT
  • DET @ PIT
  • AHM @ STL

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
CURRENT POSITION OF DRAFT PICKS.

FIRST ROUND
  • CGY- 12th Overall
  • VAN - 29th Overall
SECOND ROUND
  • CGY - 44th Overall
  • DAL - 60th Overall
THIRD ROUND
  • CGY - 77th Overall
  • VGK - 84th Overall - Conditional
    • If Vegas wins 1 round in 2024 playoffs, pick becomes 2nd in 2025.
FOURTH ROUND
  • NJD - 106th Overall
  • CGY - 109th Overall
FIFTH ROUND
  • NO PICK(S) THIS ROUND
SIXTH ROUND
  • CGY - 173rd Overall
SEVENTH ROUND
  • NO PICK(S) THIS ROUND

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sunday's games.
  • NYI @ NYR - Rangers win 5-2
  • NJD @ VGK - Golden Knights win 3-1
  • WPG @ CBJ - Jets win 6-1
  • SJS @ CHI - Blackhawks win 5-2
  • CAR @ OTT - Hurricanes win 7-2
  • DET @ PIT - Penguins win 6-3
  • AHM @ STL - Blues win 4-2

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Nothing says Flames more than picking 12-15.

How God intends.

Is there a big bodied, limited upside player available; maybe ‘NHL ready’? Because now we’re talking.

• Haha
Reactions: Roadrage

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023

How God intends.

Is there a big bodied, limited upside player available; maybe ‘NHL ready’? Because now we’re talki

Brandsegg-Nygård RW​

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

Brandsegg-Nygård RW​

I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic....B-Nygard is the type of player all teams need. He's got good compete, aggressive, and he's a puckhound. I don't think he'll be an all star or anything, but pretty sure he'll be an NHLer
I honestly wouldn't be too disappointed with him for our late 1st.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

How God intends.

Is there a big bodied, limited upside player available; maybe ‘NHL ready’? Because now we’re talking.

There should be a study done on our mediocrity. That said we should just play Wolf down the stretch and see what happens.

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023
I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic....B-Nygard is the type of player all teams need. He's got good compete, aggressive, and he's a puckhound. I don't think he'll be an all star or anything, but pretty sure he'll be an NHLer
I honestly wouldn't be too disappointed with him for our late 1st.
This is not sarcasm. If guys with great potential are no longer available, then you can choose a reliable liner.
It is unlikely that he will be in the TOP10, but he will be taken at 12-15.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
This is not sarcasm. If guys with great potential are no longer available, then you can choose a reliable liner.
It is unlikely that he will be in the TOP10, but he will be taken at 12-15.
I didn't mean that you were being sarcastic - but rather Volica was (I'm guessing) in saying we should take a big, NHL ready guy.
Personally I always like the bigger players, as long as there is skill & compete.

Reactions: IharRB

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Regardless of the outcome in Seattle (Sabres lead 5-2), we'll still be sitting in the 12th spot

Pens and Devils play tomorrow. An OT result would be ideal.

Sabres play Vancouver and Oilers play the Habs, a Sabres and Oilers win would see Edmonton 6 back with 3 games in hand.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, we don't play again until Saturday, so lots of time for us to scoreboard watch,

Tuesday
  • OTT @ BOS
  • CBJ @ DET
  • PIT @ NJD
  • CAR @ NYI
  • SJS @ NSH
  • MTL @ EDM
  • MIN @ AHM
  • CHI @ LAK
  • BUF @ VAN
Wednesday
  • TOR @ WSH
  • ARI @ DAL
  • MIN @ LAK
Thursday
  • NYI @ DET
  • WPG @ NJD
  • STL @ OTT
  • BUF @ EDM
  • CHI @ AHM
  • MTL @ VAN
  • SEA @ VGK
  • TBL @ SJS
Friday
  • SEA @ ARI

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So this chart is kind of like a magic/tragic number chart except it shows how many wins/losses are needed to make it impossible for the Flames to catch/fall to them.

For teams ahead of us, a Flames loss, or a win for that specific team will lower the number by 0.5. For teams behind us, a Flames win, or a loss for that specific team will lower the number by 0.5.

Tie-breakers are not factored in.

1710854933722.png

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Tuesday
  • OTT @ BOS - BOS wins 6-2
  • CBJ @ DET - DET wins 4-3 in OT
  • PIT @ NJD - NJD wins 5-2
  • CAR @ NYI - CAR wins 4-1
  • SJS @ NSH - NSH wins 8-2
  • MTL @ EDM - EDM wins 3-2 in OT
  • MIN @ AHM - MIN wins 4-0
  • CHI @ LAK - LAK wins 6-2
  • BUF @ VAN - VAN wins 3-2
Wednesday
  • TOR @ WSH - TOR wins 7-3
  • ARI @ DAL - DAL wins 5-2
  • MIN @ LAK - LAK leads 1-0 midway thru the 1st

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
A bunch of the teams we're clumped with play tonight. NYI, Buff, NJ, Sea as the key teams.
Hopefully we're not still sitting in 12th tomorrow.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
slots 8-13 are up for grabs between:
8th/9th Seattle & Buff .500
10th Pitt .507
11th NJ .514
12 Flames .522
13 NYI .529

Minny doing better has put them in a better group
Islanders dropping 3 straight has taken them out of a WC spot, they may be deflated and drop more now.
It's going to be tight from here out, I don't see us moving much from this spot. We still have 5 games vs the league's cellar dwellers

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
A question about Vancouver's pick, if Canucks are knocked in the first round does that pick become better or does it still stay in the 20-31 position?

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
A question about Vancouver's pick, if Canucks are knocked in the first round does that pick become better or does it still stay in the 20-31 position?
The teams that make it to the conference finals get picks 29-30, and the teams that make the cup finals get picks 31-32. Then picks 25-28 are reserved for division winners. Then the rest of the playoff teams (picks 17-24, but potentially up to 28) are just ranked by points.

So Vancouver getting eliminated in the 1st round would ensure that they don’t pick in the 29-32 range, and if they don’t win the div it’ll be in the 20-24 range because they’re top-5 in the league in points. But if they do win the division and don’t make conference finals they’ll be in the 25-28 range.

Assuming they finish 5th in the league (for example), if all the conference final teams were below them in the reg season standings, and they don’t win the division they’d pick 20-22, but potentially up to 25 (29-32 is the conference final teams, and then 25-28 are the 4 division winners, ranked in reverse order by points, and then the 4 better teams in the standings are 21-24 or potentially up to 27, depending on if any of these teams were also division winners). But for example if 3 conference final teams were above them in the standings and they didn’t win the div, they’d pick around 23 (29-32 conference final teams, and then the 25-28 are the division winners, and then 24 is the other team that finished ahead of them but didn’t make conference finals). Does that make sense?

Unless they keep dropping a few more spots in the standings (which is great for us as it looks like teams like Colorado and Dallas and Carolina might pass them at this rate), it almost for sure won’t be better than like 22/23.

Bottom line is we want them to lose in Round 1 or 2, and it doesn’t really matter which round as long as they don’t win the div or make conference finals. But it likely won’t make too much of a difference, especially because the conditions 4th we get from them becomes a 3rd if they make the conference finals anyway

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Unless they keep dropping a few more spots in the standings (which is great for us as it looks like teams like Colorado and Dallas and Carolina might pass them at this rate), it almost for sure won’t be better than like 22/23.
Teams passing the Canucks won't matter unless the Oilers are one of those teams.

So this is how the draft positions are laid out.

• Picks 1-16: Non-Playoff teams seeded in reverse order of regular season standings (before the lottery)
  • Picks 17-28: Teams eliminated in Rounds 1 & 2 - there are 5 scenarios based on how many division winners advance past round 2.
    • If all Division winners reach the Conference Finals then all teams eliminated in in the first 2 rounds would be seeded in reverse order of regular season standings.
    • If 3 Division winners reach the Conference Finals then all teams eliminated in the first 2 rounds except the division winner eliminated would be seeded in reverse order of regular season standings, with the division winner eliminated picking 28
    • If 2 Division winners reach the Conference Finals then all teams eliminated in the first 2 rounds except the division winners eliminated would be seeded in reverse order of regular season standings, with the division winners eliminated picking 27 and 28
    • If 1 Division winner reaches the Conference Finals then all teams eliminated in the first 2 rounds except the division winners eliminated would be seeded in reverse order of regular season standings, with the division winners eliminated picking 26-28
    • If all division winners are eliminated in rounds 1 & 2 then all teams eliminated in the first 2 rounds except the division winners eliminated would be seeded in reverse order of regular season standings, with the division winners eliminated picking 25-28
  • Picks 29-30: Losers in the Conference Finals
  • Pick 31: Loser of Stanley Cup Final
  • Pick 32: Stanley Cup Champ
If the Canucks win the division, the absolute best case scenario is their pick being 25th, this happens if all division winners are eliminated in round 1 or 2, and they are the lowest seeded division winner.

If the Oilers win the division and the Canucks are eliminated in the first 2 rounds, the best case (realistically) is their pick is in the 21-24 range.

The most likely outcome IMO is the pick will be 27-28, with the Canucks winning the division and getting eliminated in teh first 2 rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad