GDT: Draft Position Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, I think we all know we're falling faster than a love addict on molly.

I am still cheering for us to win, but I'm not expecting much after trading Tanev and Hanifin, and I am also hoping the teams behind us win because I understand there is value in picking higher.

After being curb stomped by the Avs tonight we have 17 games left and the 11th worst record in the league, or as you know the 11th overall pick going into the draft lottery.

____________________________________________________________________________________
I will update the following section as needed:

So this chart is kind of like a magic/tragic number chart except it shows how many wins/losses are needed to make it impossible for the Flames to catch/fall to them.

For teams ahead of us, a Flames loss, or a win for that specific team will lower the number by 0.5. For teams behind us, a Flames win, or a loss for that specific team will lower the number by 0.5.

Tie-breakers are not factored in.

View attachment 838138

Last edited:
Reactions: DFF and Boomstick

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Absolutely terrific night on the out of town tank board

Sabres, Penguins, Devils, and Coyotes all winning while the Habs, Sens, Blue Jackets all get at least one point

Perfect night on the scoreboard only for the Flames to Flame it up

Last edited:
Reactions: DFF

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sabres won and have passed us for now.
Habs picked up a single point in an OT loss
Pens are going to beat teh Sharks.
Coyotes are going to win
Sens/CBJ are headed to a shootout
Devils up big (5-2) in Dallas after 40
Ducks down by 2.

Reactions: DFF

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If we don't come back in the 3rd, we'll be sitting in position for the 8th OA pick.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With the win, we are sitting with the 12th pick, it will drop back to 11th if Seattle wins.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
So many of us are extreme...we win a couple, we're going to win them all (I know I'm guilty of hoping for the best).
We lose a couple, we're going to lose them all

If anyone looks at the games we have upcoming, you can't think very much of our team at all if you don't think we'll continue to be close to .500 to close out the season.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
They'll be around 500 and draft 10th or 11th IMO. They can upset a few of the big guys, but they don't have the guns to go on a run.

If we kept Noah Hanifin, I think this team would have had a chance at playoffs. But honestly, it's a minor miracle they were competitive so long.

Reactions: Felidae

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Current Draft Positions:

1st Round:
  • Flames : 12th OA
  • Canucks:: 30th OA
2nd Round:
  • Flames: 33th OA
  • Stars: 60th OA
3rd Round:
  • Flames: 77th OA
  • Golden Knights: 85th OA (Conditional)
    • Pick will become 2nd in 2025 if Vegas wins a playoff round in 2024
4th Round:
  • Devils: 106th OA
  • Flames: 109th OA
5th Round:
  • NO PICK
6th Round:
  • Flames: 173rd OA
7th Round:
  • NO PICK

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I see a clear top 14 in this draft class. I won't lose too much sleep over how the last month goes, although drafting around 8 would be ideal.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I see a clear top 14 in this draft class. I won't lose too much sleep over how the last month goes, although drafting around 8 would be ideal.
Curious to who your 14th is? Greentree? Ya, he could be part of that Iginla/Buium/Parekh range.
But I think the others go before him

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Curious to who your 14th is? Greentree? Ya, he could be part of that Iginla/Buium/Parekh range.
But I think the others go before him

Yeah, I have Greentree in there. I think he's getting overlooked a bit, but ya he'd be the last one in that range.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Maybe, but even within that top 14, there’s probably 3 tiers (I have 4). Regardless of the number of tiers, it seems pretty well agreed upon from armchair scouts here and professionals there’s a tier that ends at 10. So finishing top 10 is the difference between getting an Iginla/Eiserman level prospect (or better considering the top 10 are fairly wide open and a Lindstrom could easily fall) and a Connelly/Jiricek level guy.

I think there’s a considerable difference between those two scenarios, so I think it’s wise to hope for a bottom 10 finish. Especially considering there’s a much better chance we land a blue chip C or D in the top 10.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Maybe, but even within that top 14, there’s probably 3 tiers (I have 4). Regardless of the number of tiers, it seems pretty well agreed upon from armchair scouts here and professionals there’s a tier that ends at 10. So finishing top 10 is the difference between getting an Iginla/Eiserman level prospect (or better considering the top 10 are fairly wide open and a Lindstrom could easily fall) and a Connelly/Jiricek level guy.

I think there’s a considerable difference between those two scenarios, so I think it’s wise to hope for a bottom 10 finish. Especially considering there’s a much better chance we land a blue chip C or D in the top 10.

That's fair, I am just not going to bemoan the wins we get down the stretch if that means our young kids are playing well.

Ideally I'd love a legit shot at Catton or Lindstrom for sure, but if we walk out with a guy like Tij or Helenius, then that's a good day too.

Reactions: User1996

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

I'd agree with this. If we could finish 9-10, we're getting a much better prospect than if we finish 12-13. I just personally don't want to see us get Eiserman. That and like that one poster said - you never know when it comes to the lottery....3% chance is still a chance!

Reactions: User1996

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I am cheering for top 8

It’s acceptable if Coronato, Pelletier or Zary broke out and they finish higher

But I am pissed if it’s because Kadri or Huberdeau had some good games when it means nothing

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Coleman having a career year now is hilariously in line with the Flames' luck, or rather their lack thereof

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No games today affect anything.

Tomorrow we have...
  • Sabres @ Wings
  • Sens @ Isles
  • Rangers @ Pens
  • Devils @ Coyotes
  • Sharks @ Blue Jackets
  • Habs @ Flames
  • Wild @ Blues
  • Preds @ Kraken
  • Caps @ Canucks
Doesn't affect our own 1st but the Oilers host the Ava, and an Edmonton win and Vancouver loss would put the Oilers 7 back with 3 games in hand. The Canucks not winning the division title could make a difference of several spots in the drafts.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So far today we have...
  • Sabres @ Wings - DET wins 4-1
  • Sens @ Isles - OTT wins 4-3 in OT
  • Rangers @ Pens - NYR wins 7-4
  • Devils @ Coyotes - ARI wins 4-1
  • Sharks @ Blue Jackets - CBJ wins 4-2
  • Habs @ Flames - CGY wins 5-2
  • Wild @ Blues - Blues lead 2-1, mid-3rd
  • Preds @ Kraken - Tied 0-0, just underway
  • Caps @ Canucks - VAN leads 1-0 early in 1st

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Perfect scenario would be for edm to catch the nucks and win the division, play vegas in rd 1 rd and lose. So nucks 1st is earlier, we get a 2nd, and oilers lose another yr of mcjesus

• Love
Reactions: Iggys Dome
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad