Rumor: Draft Michkov / Draft Benson / Draft Leonard / Trade Up / Trade Down

What action should we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
For me, it's stay put at 5th and take someone who isn't taken yet. Whether it's Michkov, Smith, Leonard or Benson. Or in the off chance Carlsson isn't taken in the Top-4.

I'm not saying if they move up, I wouldn't be happy, especially if they move to 2nd and take Fantilli. However, at 5th, they'll still take someone who will be a cornerstone for this franchise for years down the road and will be a piece that will help them have that sustained winning culture they want to get to. It doesn't HAVE to be someone who comes in right away, but someone who can come in a year or two or three (particularly in Michkov's case).

Reactions: 417 and HabbyGuy

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Yes let's round up all the malcontents and infidels who voice their displeasure towards habs management. Think of the peace and tranquility and wonderful discourse of these forums after the purge!!

Great idea. :sarcasm:

I think it's a safe bet people are going to complain about whoever we do or don't pick. Even if most of us are still very much in a 'trusting' state of mind with our new management team.

It won't be just the Michkovers, although they'll probably be the loudest. Besides, if Matvei goes off the board before our pick there won't be anything to complain about in regards to him.

If they do pass there's nothing wrong with wanting to know why and voicing disappointment. If we find the answers non forthcoming or unsatisfactory.

If they find another to be BPA over him that's fine. Just give us the reason why. One that makes sense, because as an outsider looking in, without all the intel, he seems clearly the BPA at this time.

#pleasedon'tbanme

my ironic comment was more related to all the " Habs should have..."comments we will get for at least 3 seasons about a player that plays in Russia...:laugh:

Reactions: HabbyGuy

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
For me, it's stay put at 5th and take someone who isn't taken yet. Whether it's Michkov, Smith, Leonard or Benson. Or in the off chance Carlsson isn't taken in the Top-4.
I want them to pick someone who is taken already. Bedard or Fantilli . Then you put both GMs in a ring so they can fight for the pick

• Haha
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I want them to pick someone who is taken already. Bedard or Fantilli . Then you put both GMs in a ring so they can fight for the pick

Day 1 of draft: Round 1
Day 2 of draft: Rounds 2 to 7

Day 3 of draft: 32-GM Royal Rumble

histoire-royalrumble.jpg

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
If your mentality is to stay put at 5 and pick whoever falls, then Benson is not an option. There is a clear top 5 with Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov and Smith.

Which one you get is up in the air. Of course if Hughes is too scared to take Michkov, and he's the one left on the board, then that's another story. It becomes a Benson/Leonard/Reinbacher/Dvorsky random guess. Who knows

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I'm not saying if they move up, I wouldn't be happy, especially if they move to 2nd and take Fantilli. However, at 5th, they'll still take someone who will be a cornerstone for this franchise for years down the road and will be a piece that will help them have that sustained winning culture they want to get to. It doesn't HAVE to be someone who comes in right away, but someone who can come in a year or two or three (particularly in Michkov's case).
Imagine Hughes will offer similar package to Anaheim to switch picks what he is willing to give up for Dubois. He's going to want the franchise player in Fantilli. Fantilli can play next year. Saves him 7 million in caproom

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
We are in a fortunate spot in a way, any option is viable if the price is right. If we can move up for a good price, great. If we can move down for a good price, great. Otherwise we pick best player available.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017

I agree with everything you said besides including Leonard in your list and referring to him as someone who will be a "cornerstone for this franchise for years down the road". For me, Leonard's absolute ceiling is a Hyman type player and I doubt edmonton fans consider Hyman as a conerstone of their franchise.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
It's not just Slaf... it's Slaf and the 5th. I wouldn't do it. We'll probably be able to get Mitch at 5th and he could be better than Fantilli on his own.

We're rebuilding. It makes no sense to start trading away the building blocks we already have.
If it was Slaf and Reinbacher, I would do it.
It it was Slaf and Michkov or Smith, I would not do it.

koivu2k1

Oct 1, 2017
If the Sharks take Michkov @ 4th then its Benson for me. If not then run to the podium, congratulate vegas / nashville and le club de hockey les canadiens are proud to select from HC Sochi ....!

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If I vote for Smith but he is not on the table at 5, then what?

Can you open up the voting so I can vote for both Smith or Michkov at 5? Allow for two votes.

If the Sharks take Michkov @ 4th then its Benson for me. If not then run to the podium, congratulate vegas / nashville and le club de hockey les canadiens are proud to select from HC Sochi ....!

Montreal Smurfs. Benson would not be general consensus BPA at 5. It would be reaching. I'd make the exception to take the smaller skilled Michkov but not Benson. Benson would be a good pick at 7-10 range.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Not enough difference between 2-5 to justify the probable price to move up. My guess is Michkov falls to 5, and he might be the second best player of this draft. Happy with Smith as well.
Easiest picks in the world would be Smith or Carlsson inexplicably falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad