Rumor: Draft Michkov / Draft Benson / Draft Leonard / Trade Up / Trade Down

What action should we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
If I vote for Smith but he is not on the table at 5, then what?

Can you open up the voting so I can vote for both Smith or Michkov at 5? Allow for two votes.

Montreal Smurfs. Benson would not be general consensus BPA at 5. It would be reaching. I'd make the exception to take the smaller skilled Michkov but not Benson. Benson would be a good pick at 7-10 range.

You gotta pick based on what you believe will happen. Its not who you want it to be, its who you think will be available at 5 and what you do if you want someone else.

If you really want Smith but believe SJ will take him then you need to decide if you trade up, stay put or trade down.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Y'all overthinking this. One of those 5 players will be available for the Habs and they take what's left.

Easy peasy warm and squeezy.

It's gonna be a fun draft night.

I trust Hughes's judgement. Though projecting prospects isn't an exact science.

If he thinks there is too much risk with Michkov, so be it. If he thinks one of Benson, Leonard, or Reinbacher are better than Will Smith, so be it. No one knows if those top 5 players will be the best 5 NHL players. In fact almost surely they won't be. MB kept saying years later even if they had the no. 1 pick in the Gslchenyuk draft, they wouldn't have taken Yakupov, despite the so-called consensus. Whether that's true or not, the point is, the so-called consensus isn't some all knowing prospect projector. Gotta do your own analysis.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
The problem with trading up is the cost will be prohibitive. The problem with trading down is you need a team that really covets a player still there at 5, and you need to either know who the teams picking after you are taking or have a list of X remaining players that you are okay with any of.

Hypothetical situation (Bedard Fantilli Carlsson and Smith go 1 through 4) Caps want MM bad so they make you an offer for 5th that includes their 8th. You need to know with some certainty who Arizona is taking 6th and Philly is taking 7th or you need three players that you are equally happy with at 8 and if Arizona and Philly take 2 of the 3 you take the 3rd one.

So I think they will use the 5th pick. If they trade down I assume it has to be Philly or Washington- can't see them dropping more than 3 spots. If they trade up it may only be to 4th San Jose. SJ needs both highend prospects and volume as a result of years of win now mode. Habs have a lot of prospects so could see 5th plus decent prospect for 4th.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The problem with trading up is the cost will be prohibitive. The problem with trading down is you need a team that really covets a player still there at 5, and you need to either know who the teams picking after you are taking or have a list of X remaining players that you are okay with any of.

Hypothetical situation (Bedard Fantilli Carlsson and Smith go 1 through 4) Caps want MM bad so they make you an offer for 5th that includes their 8th. You need to know with some certainty who Arizona is taking 6th and Philly is taking 7th or you need three players that you are equally happy with at 8 and if Arizona and Philly take 2 of the 3 you take the 3rd one.

So I think they will use the 5th pick. If they trade down I assume it has to be Philly or Washington- can't see them dropping more than 3 spots. If they trade up it may only be to 4th San Jose. SJ needs both highend prospects and volume as a result of years of win now mode. Habs have a lot of prospects so could see 5th plus decent prospect for 4th.
Personnally after the big 5, there is not much separation in my #6-10+ range...

Leonard, Dvorsky, ASP, Benson, Reinbacher, etc.

If somehow Michkov makes you understand he does not wants to go to Montreal and you don't want the hassle to do a Lindros 2.0, I think trading down to #6,7,8 or 9 does not make a huge difference. Just take the best offer that is added to the pick.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Per his Russian agent: Michkov apparently let Yotes & Caps know he had no interest in meeting or playing for them. Ducks seriously were considering MM.

Reactions: 26Mats

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Per his Russian agent: Michkov apparently let Yotes & Caps know he had no interest in meeting or playing for them. Ducks seriously were considering MM.

I am not surprised.

Who wants to play for the Yotes? That’s right, anyone that thinks they don’t belong in the NHL… lol but that’s about it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I wonder why he didn't want to play for the caps.

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
Our near future top 4-6 D-core looks way way more legit/solid...and you can't win in playoffs without a solid top 4-6 D-Core. Reinbacher was a VERY smart pick. Heck...our near future top 6-7-8 D-Core is looking good!! (and not just top 4).
Thanks to Reinbacher (and Guhle, Hutson, Barron, Struble, Mailloux, Harris, Egstrom, etc).

The Future:
Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle
- Barron
Xhekaj/Struble - Mailloux
Egstrom
Harris
Kovacevic

Go Reinbacher Go!!
Go Habs Go!!

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

You know I get the Yotes. Add the Caps in and it's Lindros and Mario vibes. Not good.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
You know I get the Yotes. Add the Caps in and it's Lindros and Mario vibes. Not good.
Which would lead one to believe there were other teams he refused to meet with or who knows what he told them / attitude was when he did actually meet with teams he wasn’t “fully into”…

Agree, not good optics from outside looking in

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Lol at the 4 fans who voted Get David at 5 AFTER the draft.
Homerism at its finest.

salbutera: maybe peter StHabs not exactly a great source to blindly trust… Unbelievable indeed That we are now at napoleon in the comparison game.

Reactions: pickles555

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
I wonder with the language barrier, attitude and lack of being coachable how Michkov will translate to the NHL. Superbly talented and could still very well become a star but he has some major red flags, not wanting to get selected by certain teams and being very open about it is also very concerning. I am a lot less heart broken now about passing up on Michkov, still may be my pick at 5 but I get the concerns. I just hope Torts is still around when he makes it, that would be some high quality entertainment.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I wonder with the language barrier, attitude and lack of being coachable how Michkov will translate to the NHL. Superbly talented and could still very well become a star but he has some major red flags, not wanting to get selected by certain teams and being very open about it is also very concerning. I am a lot less heart broken now about passing up on Michkov, still may be my pick at 5 but I get the concerns. I just hope Torts is still around when he makes it, that would be some high quality entertainment.
Sounds like a young Radulov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad