Speculation: Draft lottery to be held 4/9

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I think Drysdale has the potential to be a top pair defenseman but I don't know if he'll be THE franchise defenseman, or just a good top pairing guy. Watching him play he looks like he has a really high floor and won't be worse than a really good 2nd pair defenseman because his skating. I'd stay away from him in this draft though. The 2021 draft looks like it's especially deep on defense through the first two rounds and I'd even go as far as saying that 5 of the top 10 will be defensemen. If we land another top 4 pick next year we'll have a good chance at Luke Hughes, Brandt Clarke, Carson Lambos or Owen Power. Of that group Luke Hughes has impressed the hell out of me whenever I've seen the kid play this year for the USNTDP. He's bigger than Quinn and almost as good a skater.
Yeah, I’d be more than happy getting drysdale and power/Hughes

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
If we take Drysdale it would most certainly be because we feel he is BPA, given we already have Hronek/Seider in the mix.

I also wouldn't call a guy with 15 career NHL games a lock for our future top 4 yet.

If the Wings take Drysdale, I see a BPA currency.

Top defenseman in the draft by far, and is a current NHL style #1.

If they take Rossi, they wanted him.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I wonder if anything will change with the draft with the suspending of the season.

I wonder if anything will change with the draft with the suspending of the season.
I guess first of all teams would have to play an equal amount of games to determine the top 15. Whether or not that happens or not we will see. Something tells me though they will not play 82 games and likely shorten playoffs to best 3 out of 5 etc.

Reactions: ksesler

J15

Mar 18, 2009
If the playoffs don't happen at all then I imagine the draft lottery would have to change too. The entire premise is that the lottery is a consolation prize for missing the playoffs. If there are no playoffs then the teams that just made it through kind of get screwed. Maybe they just cancel the lottery all together this year and determine the order by current pts %.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I still don't understand why they couldn't just finish the regular season once it's prudent to do so. With 12 games left, that can be done in 3-4 weeks. It's not like arena ice is perfect into June or July, but would be impossible to maintain starting in August.

There's a lot of logistics with any pause/resume, so why not just do the full 82 games once you can, and not introduce any asterisk into the history books?

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I still don't understand why they couldn't just finish the regular season once it's prudent to do so. With 12 games left, that can be done in 3-4 weeks. It's not like arena ice is perfect into June or July, but would be impossible to maintain starting in August.

There's a lot of logistics with any pause/resume, so why not just do the full 82 games once you can, and not introduce any asterisk into the history books?

You could do 12 games in 2 weeks. Make the first round of the playoffs best of 5 to shorten it a little bit

Reactions: ksesler

Northwing19

Apr 9, 2018
If the season is canceled and they give every team a chance to draft 1st overall, like they did in 2004-05, I'm never watching hockey ever again.

They won't since they actually played games and most of the season. I hope the opposite, they just ditch the lottery this year and base the picks on the standings :nod:

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Why is there talk about not having the lottery? I see no reason why they wouldn't have a lottery since the majority of the season has been played. They'll most likely use the current standings as-is for the lottery.

I also suspect the season is done. No more games, no playoffs. And Training camp will probably start in September assuming Corvid 19 doesn't wipe everyone out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad