Speculation: Draft lottery to be held 4/9

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why is there talk about not having the lottery? I see no reason why they wouldn't have a lottery since the majority of the season has been played. They'll most likely use the current standings as-is for the lottery.

I also suspect the season is done. No more games, no playoffs. And Training camp will probably start in September assuming Corvid 19 doesn't wipe everyone out.

Cause there is a moronic avs fan on the main boards whining about how the Avs are getting screwed, you know the same team that had 48 pts just 4 season ago!

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Cause there is a moronic avs fan on the main boards whining about how the Avs are getting screwed, you know the same team that had 48 pts just 4 season ago!
There will be goofballs complaining about any scenario, even if they eventually finish all 82 regular season games. I find that this particular type of whining usually makes for good criteria to dust off my "ignore" button and add said goofball to my buh-bye list.

Reactions: Oddbob

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Why is there talk about not having the lottery? I see no reason why they wouldn't have a lottery since the majority of the season has been played. They'll most likely use the current standings as-is for the lottery.
Problem is IF a team just outside the playoffs with the current standings wins the lottery, it's going to feel really bad because that team might as well have made the playoffs if the season had carried on.

Same reason why for example it would suck for teams just outside the playoffs if they skip the remaining regular season games and start a playoffs based on these standings.

I have zero faith in the NHL to do the right thing here but cancelling the lottery altogether would make the most sense.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Problem is IF a team just outside the playoffs with the current standings wins the lottery, it's going to feel really bad because that team might as well have made the playoffs if the season had carried on.

Same reason why for example it would suck for teams just outside the playoffs if they skip the remaining regular season games and start a playoffs based on these standings.

I have zero faith in the NHL to do the right thing here but cancelling the lottery altogether would make the most sense.

The fact that those teams can even win the lottery is a joke lol

Reactions: hkydave04

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He plays similar to Cal Makar stylistically

might be better defensively

This comparison does not make any sense to me. They're about as stylistically different as can be. Cale Makar is a puck rusher who can dangle better than most forwards, sneaks into the offensive zone when he doesn't have the puck and acts like a 4th forward at times then uses his elite skating to fall back into position if the puck goes the other way.

Drysdale is a two-way defender that can make plays from the point and run the powerplay but he's not going to wow you in the same way as Makar. He can make plays down low but in the games I've seen in person and the WJC he is a very heads up defender with solid positioning and stickhandling, an accurate first pass out of the zone and is a good skater but won't blow your doors off the way Makar will. I'd say he's more similar to a poor man's Drew Doughty.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
This comparison does not make any sense to me. They're about as stylistically different as can be. Cale Makar is a puck rusher who can dangle better than most forwards, sneaks into the offensive zone when he doesn't have the puck and acts like a 4th forward at times then uses his elite skating to fall back into position if the puck goes the other way.

Drysdale is a two-way defender that can make plays from the point and run the powerplay but he's not going to wow you in the same way as Makar. He can make plays down low but in the games I've seen in person and the WJC he is a very heads up defender with solid positioning and stickhandling, an accurate first pass out of the zone and is a good skater but won't blow your doors off the way Makar will. I'd say he's more similar to a poor man's Drew Doughty.
He doesn’t stay by the goal line, but his rush style is very similar. He leads break outs with regularity.

the difference is without the puck drysdale does not stay low. That’s the only big difference I see. Other than that they are quite comparable. Drysdale is as good a skater as Makar if not better.

GOZetterberg

Dec 10, 2019
Has it been announced that the draft lottery will be delayed? Or is it still supposed to take place on April 9th?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Im assuming theyre gonna have to figure out how the remainder of the season will (or will not) play out before they can decide what to do with the draft.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Im assuming theyre gonna have to figure out how the remainder of the season will (or will not) play out before they can decide what to do with the draft.

Hopefully for our sake they’ll still do the lottery on April 9th. I can’t imagine having to wait months to learn our pick :shudders:

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I can’t believe this season will continue. After being off for a month the PA would want mini training camps. It would likely encroach on next season. They may delay the lottery but by the time the draft comes around it would be too late to resume anything. Arena time would have to be booked. They have already booked trade shows and concerts. It would be a nightmare to organize.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I can guarantee on thing no matter what happens its going to screw someone. I hope its not us, the possibility is there.

Reactions: hkydave04

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Well no matter what we guaranteed ourselves last place in the league on our final game of the season, hopefully they recognize when the draft odds are revealed...

Reactions: mantha39

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I can’t believe this season will continue. After being off for a month the PA would want mini training camps. It would likely encroach on next season. They may delay the lottery but by the time the draft comes around it would be too late to resume anything. Arena time would have to be booked. They have already booked trade shows and concerts. It would be a nightmare to organize.
We should start thinking about whether any of these sports leagues will survive. It's going to be a long, long time before we start stuffing 20,000 people in an arena ever again. Let's say sports resumes in two months. What happens when another player tests positive? Leagues can't survive playing in empty arenas long-term.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

It could be done pretty easy you just have to make sure teams all have the same amount of games played. Which might lead to a few games after this clears in the summer just lotto draw the teams with uneven games into matchups to balance there games played out and presto fair ground for everyone.

Than run the draft lotto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad