Draft lottery changes coming: 2015 odds tweaked, 2016 top three spots drawn

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Changing the rules after teams have made deals re those picks is totally unfair. Is major league baseball in trouble due to their draft? Or the NFL? If the NHL is so concerned about giving everyone a fair shot how about banning no movement and no trade clauses? How about changing the RFA rules so that the have teams do not get a better deal on offers to RFAs than teams that need the help?

TossinSauce

Dec 16, 2013
Upstate NY
Changing the rules after teams have made deals regarding those picks is totally unfair. Is major league baseball in trouble due to their draft? Or the NFL? If the NHL is so concerned about giving everyone a fair shot how about banning no movement and no trade clauses? How about changing the RFA rules so that the have teams do not get a better deal on offers to RFAs than teams that need the help?

This is my problem with the lotto change.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Lower the odds for the No. 1 pick. Fine. Make it so that the last place team could potentially pick sixth? There's a big problem.

Are they voting Thursday or discussing? If they're voting, that's quite ridiculous.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Come on Sabres fans let's be 100% fair

yes, this sucks
yes, it's frustrating
yes, I'm angry
yes, I want to punch someone from the NFL board of directors in the face

but this is complete about protecting the game.

I understand what and why the Sabres stripped it all down, but you cannot have teams failing to try to field a competitive team because they want a realistic shot at the franchise player coming up in next year draft. You cannot agrue that Buffalo tried to field a competitive team. We started the year with FOUR teenagers. There decision is actually good for the game and horrible for the Sabres at this present time.

What is truly horrible is the timing. This should have been decided several months ago because the Sabres and other team would need time to prepare their off-season plans differently.

However, the conspiracy theory needs to go away. It makes the most sense to make lottery changes when a universally great draft is approaching to prevent exactly what the Sabres are trying to do from occurring.

If you disagree then you are simple fanslating what I have laid out.

PS: The NBA system should be adopted: Top 3 picks within the lottery the odds should stay the same.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

yes, this sucks
yes, it's frustrating
yes, I'm angry

I understand what and why the Sabres stripped it all down, but you cannot have teams failing to try to field a competitive team because they want a realistic shot at the franchise player coming up in next year draft. You cannot agrue that Buffalo tried to field a competitive team. We started the year with FOUR teenagers. There decision is actually good for the game and horrible for the Sabres at this present time.

What is truly horrible is the timing. This should have been decided several months ago because the Sabres and other team would need time to prepare their off-season plans differently.

However, the conspiracy theory needs to go away. It makes the most sense to make lottery changes when a universally great draft is approaching to prevent exactly what the Sabres are trying to do from occurring.

I agree with everything you said except that this is good for the game. I don't think a lottery should even be in the game. Let teams outsuck each other if they want. Better that then continually shafting actual bad teams that can't help it.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
This may delay our rebuild. We may need to delay the "be competitive" stage until after the 2016 draft.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
This may delay our rebuild. We may need to delay the "be competitive" stage until after the 2016 draft.
I hate to break it to you, but it's going to be longer than that regardless of any changes made to the lottery.

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
If the league hated Buffalo so badly, then they would've ushered them out of the city when they had the chance.

I'm under the impression with this lottery change that the less points you have, puts you further away from a playoff spot, meaning it up's the average points away from a playoff spot for your given position. This would encourage tanking just as much, if not more, no?

Unless they're thinking that there's enough teams tanking that someone has to win each games this won't be a problem?

I'm sticking with my gut on this one, I think the league is using this time right before the draft to remind every team that they can flex there muscles at any time so be smart about what you do to your teams this weekend, and in the next few weeks. Just keeping everyone honest.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Does TM get more aggressive and try to use the STL 2015 1st and a prospect to get back into the top 10, with a double trade as a result of this?

Have to find out what the outcome is first.

Doubt it tho..regardless. Have to stay the course now.

ZeroPT*

I actually wouldn't really care if they adopted the NBA system.

Lotto for the top 3 is fine

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
Does TM get more aggressive and try to use the STL 2015 1st and a prospect to get back into the top 10, with a double trade as a result of this?

Not knowing the position of the draft slot doesn't change the fact that the 2015 Draft looks to be extremely deep and very strong at the top, no need to panic and make a move based on what the slot of a pick will be.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I hate to break it to you, but it's going to be longer than that regardless of any changes made to the lottery.

I mean't we will have to tank for 2 more seasons.

I think most reasonable people here knew that the 16/17 season would be the earliest that we'd actually be competitive.
Key word in my post isn't "competitive". Key word is "stage".

Murray has implied we are going to tank one more season and then start building to be competitive in 2015-2016.

Karate Johnson*

What the NHL hates is a season or two (and that's what Buffalo would be doing) of tanking. Buffalo has dumped everyone and everybody know why.

It really calls into play the integrity of the game. However, changes should be made before UFA begins because that gives time for teams to change their plans.

Buffalo may end up sucking really bad next season for no reward.

No why?

Because they were UFA's who didn't want to stay?

Trading UFA's in a year when you fired your coach and overhauled the front office is punished now?

Further, how is a new GM gutting a roster tanking?

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Ridiculous.

The NHL wants to be like the NBA - a league with no parity.

Instead, they should try to be like the NFL - a league with great parity and no draft lottery.

Worst picks first. It can't be any simpler than that. Works fine for the NFL.

WNY to NoVA

May 16, 2011
fine with changes that might need to be made, but the fact this is coming down a few days before a draft that *should* have deals made at, possibly including picks in 2015 is a mess and does not show well for the NHL in general. that goes without saying anything about prior trades that were made included 2015 picks prior knowledge/confirmation of any changes.

something like this needs to be changed 2 or 3 seasons in to the future with fair notice to all teams/GMs involved. hopefully that is the result of these discussions.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

yes, this sucks
yes, it's frustrating
yes, I'm angry

PS: The NBA system should be adopted: Top 3 picks within the lottery the odds should stay the same.

NFL by far the most popular league in the United States doesn't work that way. Stop using the NBA as an example. The NFL should be the league everyone is trying to follow. The worst team gets the best pick, simple as that. Even when we begin to contend I hope the worst team gets the worst pick, they deserve if for being so bad the entire season.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
They act like there are no negative effects to tearing down your roster and rebuilding. It's not something teams take lightly.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
The NFL and NBA aren't really comparable because of how much a #1 QB can build a team, or one of just five players on a court.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
NFL by far the most popular league in the United States doesn't work that way. Stop using the NBA as an example. The NFL should be the league everyone is trying to follow. The worst team gets the best pick, simple as that. Even when we begin to contend I hope the worst team gets the worst pick, they deserve if for being so bad the entire season.

THE NFL DOESN'T DRAFT 18 YEAR OLDS!

If the NHL waited until a kid was 21 to allow them to be drafted, you wouldn't need a lottery because you have a much clearer picture which guys had a better shot at making it.

and if you want to say MLB, hey you can't even trade a draft pick in that league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad