Draft: Glass or Vilardi?

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Watching both of those shift by shift videos of the two, I was surprised at how quick Glass is on his feet and making plays. Vilardi does has superior puck protection and strength but I found he holds on to the puck too long sometimes waiting for the perfect pass, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something I noticed. On the other hand when Glass sees an open man his passes are quick and sharp with no hesitation, similar to Elias Pettersson. Glass is also much better at defensive play and hounds pucks in his own end down low, which is probably just because he played C all year, whereas Vilardi played RW, but it was very noticeable in most of the games just how hard he works in both ends.

Overall I'd say Glass is the better player and his speed and smarts will ensure he plays C at the next level. Vilardi is a fantastic prospect though, I hope he gets picked 3 or 4 so we don't have to choose between the two and regret it a few years later.

I agree with most of this. Glass far better anticipation and all over game sense. Vilardi usually only seems to make great reads when he's the main cog in the play. His cycling of the puck and finding open spots in the NHL will be closed down a lot faster.

Glass is a hound on the back check and can usually lead a play out of the zone, as compared to Vilardi who needs someone else to make those reads/do the work to get the puck.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
You are right. It would have to occur to Benning that it would be a good idea to maximize asset value. Not really his thing.

Do not think that is what he meant. Benning may very well want to move down but it takes 2 GM's to want to make the deal. Perhaps those GM's see no value in trading up when the asset they seek is likely to fall to them at their own pick. For the same reasons you want Benning to do it are also valid reasons for those GM's to not want to make the trade.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I agree with most of this. Glass far better anticipation and all over game sense. Vilardi usually only seems to make great reads when he's the main cog in the play. His cycling of the puck and finding open spots in the NHL will be closed down a lot faster.

Glass is a hound on the back check and can usually lead a play out of the zone, as compared to Vilardi who needs someone else to make those reads/do the work to get the puck.

Vilardi also protects the puck better and excels down low much like tkachuk and is stronger. His ability to physically and mentally read the play in tight spaces is better then glass. He is also one of the youngest players in the draft.

Hanging onto the puck to long was also a common criticism of nylander in his draft year like the person you quoted mentioned about vilardi.

We could go back and forth with this. People who like a prospect will find minor details to like in comparison to another.

Last edited:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Sorry, i found this dead horse to beat.

Trading down this year makes sense, because there is no consensus. Sadly Dimjim will have a "special" player he can't give up on.

I was pissed last year that when we passed on Tkachuk and didn't trade down. I bet we could have got a nice piece from someone in the 7 - 12 range to move up to get Tkachuk. Major fail.

This year there is no consensus after 1 -2. last year no consensus 6 - 15.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Watching both of those shift by shift videos of the two, I was surprised at how quick Glass is on his feet and making plays. Vilardi does has superior puck protection and strength but I found he holds on to the puck too long sometimes waiting for the perfect pass, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something I noticed. On the other hand when Glass sees an open man his passes are quick and sharp with no hesitation, similar to Elias Pettersson. Glass is also much better at defensive play and hounds pucks in his own end down low, which is probably just because he played C all year, whereas Vilardi played RW, but it was very noticeable in most of the games just how hard he works in both ends.

Overall I'd say Glass is the better player and his speed and smarts will ensure he plays C at the next level...

This agrees with my observations.

Petterson and Necas is where it is at but if it has to be... Glass. A little smarter and more balanced. Good backhand too so that playmaking lefty thing might not be missed at all. Krejci or Scheifele is a good get any year.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Sorry, i found this dead horse to beat.

Trading down this year makes sense, because there is no consensus. Sadly Dimjim will have a "special" player he can't give up on.

I was pissed last year that when we passed on Tkachuk and didn't trade down. I bet we could have got a nice piece from someone in the 7 - 12 range to move up to get Tkachuk. Major fail.

This year there is no consensus after 1 -2. last year no consensus 6 - 15.

It is not a dead horse because what you say is not as black and white and you seem to think.

I am the GM a Buffalo and you the Canucks. Knowing, as you say, there is no consensus after the top 2 until about 15. What incentive would there be for me, the Buffalo GM, to pay assets to trade up for a player that I can just as easily get at 8.

For the same reason people want Benning to trade down are the same reasons why other teams may not want to move up. Seems to me that moving up this year amounts to minimizing assets. Would you pay assets to move up to 3 or 4 in this years draft if it meant giving up 5?

I know many of you may want Benning to trade down. But if other GM's do not see value in it, and many won't, we can hardly blame Benning. Like I know some of you are just waiting for (not you as in you but as in some in general).

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It is not a dead horse because what you say is not as black and white and you seem to think.

I am the GM a Buffalo and you the Canucks. Knowing, as you say, there is no consensus after the top 2 until about 15. What incentive would there be for me, the Buffalo GM, to pay assets to trade up for a player that I can just as easily get at 8.

For the same reason people want Benning to trade down are the same reasons why other teams may not want to move up. Seems to me that moving up this year amounts to minimizing assets. Would you pay assets to move up to 3 or 4 in this years draft if it meant giving up 5?

I know many of you may want Benning to trade down. But if other GM's do not see value in it, and many won't, we can hardly blame Benning. Like I know some of you are just waiting for (not you as in you but as in some in general).

Yeah. Exactly.

The only place it may be feasible to move up/down in a year like this, is in back end of the 1st round where teams are going to have someone they view as a faller with huge value there.

At the 5th pick, the entire reason people would want Benning to move down this year, is the same set of reasoning that nobody else is going to want to cough up any real value to bother moving up a few spots.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yeah. Exactly.

The only place it may be feasible to move up/down in a year like this, is in back end of the 1st round where teams are going to have someone they view as a faller with huge value there.

At the 5th pick, the entire reason people would want Benning to move down this year, is the same set of reasoning that nobody else is going to want to cough up any real value to bother moving up a few spots.

Your last part is true. People should ask themselves "If I am so willing to move down, then why would anyone be in a hurry to move up?"

If the draft is considered to be more or less flat from 5-8 then there's not much incentive to pay to move up.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Let's say Dallas wanted to move down from 3 to 5 to pick up another draft pick. Would people be happy trading a 2nd round pick to move up those 2 spots? No? Well why would you expect Buffalo to do that.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Your last part is true. People should ask themselves "If I am so willing to move down, then why would anyone be in a hurry to move up?"

If the draft is considered to be more or less flat from 5-8 then there's not much incentive to pay to move up.

If Arizona values a player available at 5, when we pick, much higher than the rest of the guys available (Heiskanen as an example), why would they not move up? The reason for us to move down is that we clearly have Pettersson and Glass close. Jim has indicated he has a grouping he likes.

I'm not sure it's safe to assume that Arizona and Vegas view those players the same as Benning does.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Let's say Dallas wanted to move down from 3 to 5 to pick up another draft pick. Would people be happy trading a 2nd round pick to move up those 2 spots? No? Well why would you expect Buffalo to do that.

If we had not traded away so many picks previously, I'd be all over that. Personally, I'd be fine with trading the 55 to move up two spots for Heiskanen. I don't want Jim to do it if he is just going to take a guy ranked 8th or 9th.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
If Arizona values a player available at 5, when we pick, much higher than the rest of the guys available (Heiskanen as an example), why would they not move up? The reason for us to move down is that we clearly have Pettersson and Glass close. Jim has indicated he has a grouping he likes.

I'm not sure it's safe to assume that Arizona and Vegas view those players the same as Benning does.

But you're assuming Vancouver sees 5-8 as the same because YOU see it as the same. So following that logic, why wouldn't Vegas, Arizona, and Buffalo also view the players at 5-8 as roughly equal?

I mean they might not, but since you're assuming Vancouver does you should probably apply that assumption to the other teams too unless there is an indication otherwise.

*And we don't really know that Benning values the players 5-8 equally, we are just trying to discern it from public quotes.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Glass is still underrated by a lot of people, the kind of player you start to like more and more if you watch him enough. Too bad his highlight reel isn't full of dekes and big hits.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
Vilardi also protects the puck better and excels down low much like tkachuk and is stronger. His ability to physically and mentally read the play in tight spaces is better then glass. He is also one of the youngest players in the draft.

Hanging onto the puck to long was also a common criticism of nylander in his draft year like the person you quoted mentioned about vilardi.

We could go back and forth with this. People who like a prospect will find minor details to like in comparison to another.

I like Vilardi quite a bit. I think he will excel at the next level with his play style as soon as next season, just like Tkachuk. The way he uses his quick feet and big body along the boards to shield the puck and make plays is excellent and he was a joy to watch in the Memorial Cup.

I guess most of my bias comes from watching a player who played centre all season to one who played on the wing. I love what Glass brings to the table in his own end with stick work and positioning and his transition game is really good in the centre of the ice. His offensive game and playmaking is at a very high level as well and he's really consistent making the right play. It's what puts him ahead of Vilardi for me but I can see others preferring Vilardi's game.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
The thought of trading assets for #3 is appealing. The thought of trading #5 + assets for #3 isn't. There isn't enough of a difference in skill to warrant the price we would pay imo. Especially when Jimbo would probably pick a guy that would be available at 5. :facepalm:

Vilardi all the way between these two btw.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
We don't agree often but agree here.

Glass was a solid 4th liner here who was a likeable guy and worked his ass off and did a good job on some of the best teams we've ever had. Yeah, he wasn't very skilled and missed a scoring chance in the Finals, and yeah it was frustrating when Vigneault occasionally used him on the 3rd line ... but that wasn't his fault.

Also he's one of the few players in the last two decades here who have any connection to Vancouver Island, having played some junior in Nanaimo, so I cheered a bit extra for him on that account.

He obviously wasn't a great player here or anything and it was no great loss when he left ... but it's ridiculous when people treat contributing players on those circa-2011 teams as the butt of jokes. Same goes for Mason Raymond. And Aaron Rome.

Was' t Willie Mitchell from the island? Or was that Hamhuis.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I'd prefer Glass. I would understand Vilardi though, or even Mittelstadt or Pettersson for that matter. I think you can make a very reasonable argument for any of them.

Vilardi's skating is a concern to me. I don't think it will be a terribly detrimental factor with what he does excel at. He doesn't need to have high-end mobility to use his size and strength to protect the puck down low, behind and around the net. In that sense, i don't worry about his projection. As long as he's playing with the right linemates, he'll have opportunities to play the half court game in the offensive zone and play to his strengths.

The concern for me, is in how it will hold back his all-around game. So much of the game these days is played in the neutral zone and in quick transition. That's where Vilardi's weakness as a skater will really show up most, and that's a big deal to me. Makes it really hard for me to project him as a 200 foot Center at the highest level. Even if he does somehow find a way to tread water in the middle with his skating limitations, i think that ends up taking away from what he does best in the first place. Just too hard for me to project him as a Center and having a 200 foot impact, when it's something he hasn't really shown he can do at a high level in Jrs yet...combined with the skating limitations that are already a red flag in that regard.

I do think his skating is starting from an already weaker point that the oft cited examples like Tkachuk/Draisaitl/Horvat. Plus, Vilardi is already a big strong kid...not sure how much room there's going to be to improve his skating by getting more powerful in that regard.

Whereas Glass has a ton of filling out to do with his frame. He needs to get quite a bit bigger and stronger in pretty much every way. Which i think will naturally help improve the comparatively minor weaknesses in his skating.

He's a natural center who plays the whole ice and has a significant impact in all three zones. He's got great vision and anticipation (better than Vilardi imo), and consistently positions himself well to support play in all facets of the game. So many of the little things he does are what allow a team to "play fast" in transition. He makes the players around him better in a lot of ways. Those are strong qualities in a Center.

I think the raw skill is close between the two (albeit stylistically very different execution), which is where that projectability as a natural center and true 200 ft player swings it pretty easily for me. That's my preference. That's more valuable and higher "upside" to me as a potentially bigger contributor overall.

But with this draft even more than most, i don't think there's a lot of room for black & white declarative statements about how one or the other would be amazing or conversely, absolutely catastrophically stupid as a pick. They're all good prospects with specific strengths, but each also with their own pretty glaring weakness or liability. Any one of the 4 could ultimately end up the best or worst of the bunch, and it's entirely conceivable that someone from completely outside that group ends up better than any of them. :dunno:

Yeah, I'm with this guy.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
We don't agree often but agree here.

Glass was a solid 4th liner here who was a likeable guy and worked his ass off and did a good job on some of the best teams we've ever had. Yeah, he wasn't very skilled and missed a scoring chance in the Finals, and yeah it was frustrating when Vigneault occasionally used him on the 3rd line ... but that wasn't his fault.

Also he's one of the few players in the last two decades here who have any connection to Vancouver Island, having played some junior in Nanaimo, so I cheered a bit extra for him on that account.

He obviously wasn't a great player here or anything and it was no great loss when he left ... but it's ridiculous when people treat contributing players on those circa-2011 teams as the butt of jokes. Same goes for Mason Raymond. And Aaron Rome.

even andrew "chased a whistle" alberts was better than like three of the defencemen we dressed this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad