Draft: Glass or Vilardi?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Much higher upside with Vilardi.....only 17 and eventually will grow into his body....skating will improve as he physically matures....but just not convinced Jimbo and Canucks are sold on him.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
IMO not even close.

Glass is a nice player, but he doesn't have the same type of upside as Vilardi. I feel despite the maturing Glass needs he is still a safe bet, but lacks the high end up side of a few of the other top prospects. It is this that has me ranking him below others.

With Vilardi the same concerns people talk about are the same ones Draisaitl and Tkachuck had. Like them he is a smart player. Don't want to compare them as players, but note it may be overblown.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Vilardi is more NHL ready but skating a concern, Glass has more upside. Edge to Glass though it would be hard to pass on Vilardi.

Last edited:

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I'm ok with Vilardi, but I'm leaning more towards Glass. (PS: This means Benning will choose neither of these players)

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Vilardi, quite easily. I have him as the clear-cut #3 guy in the draft and a step above Glass/Pettersson/Mittelstadt. I think it's very likely he becomes a top 6 forward, with the potential to be a 65-70 point guy.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Vilardi, quite easily. He's ahead of Glass.

Benning has already been rumoured to be out on Vilardi. Can't skate. You need to skate well to be on Benning's team.

Man, just looked this guy up and he is 11 months younger than Nolan Patrick. That's huge at this level. I hope Benning strays from his skating policy here and takes this guy. Looks like a total stud.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Benning has already been rumoured to be out on Vilardi. Can't skate. You need to skate well to be on Benning's team.

Best that we have Brandon Sutter and not Matt Tkachuk or Leon Draisaitl then. Who needs those bums when we have such foundational talent.

For the record, Vilardi's skating improved as the season went along.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Vilardi, quite easily. He's ahead of Glass.

I bet this is the way things shake out:

1. Wheat King/Swiss Mr.
2. Swiss Mr./Wheat King
3. Makar
4. Vilardi
5. Some D-man (Benning is making it clear he wants an offensive d-man - who would that be?)

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Either player would be a solid choice. I think people expecting a home run with this pick will likely be disappointed no matter who we choose. Makar is the only potential pick with a gamebreaker skill set and there are plenty of question marks attached to him.

I think vilardi profiles long term as a winger at the NHL level that puts up 55-60 points and glass profiles as a 2nd line center that puts up 50-60 points. This is the kind of draft that produces a lot of good nhlers but not a ton of stars that you can build a franchise around. Getting a top 6 forward that consistently puts up 50+ points will be a good outcome even if it might be underwhelming for the garbage season we just indured. The 2018 and 2019 drafts are where we likely/hopefully find a franchise talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad