Draft Dynasty top 10

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
So this guy is like a force of video-watching nature. Naturally his rankings reflect this and only this.
I wish the NHL would allow a few guys like this to go to the combine and let those results factor in.

I take DDs top three. Laf, Stutz and Rossi. To me, these are the three best looking players on ice. However if you factor in the combine, Laf is still 1. Stutz, while reasonably tall enough, was very skinny and had room to grow (I heard he put on over a dozen pounds of muscle so far since the end of the season). Rossi however was already a fully grown, peak condition, little man beating up on boys in his league...in other words he has little physical upside for growth. That makes me slide him down out of the top six, below guys who are up swinging like Byfield and Sanderson.
You've determined this information all by yourself without going to the combine, and these are all points people have raised on the Draft Dynasty channel. None of this is news to him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So this guy is like a force of video-watching nature. Naturally his rankings reflect this and only this.
I wish the NHL would allow a few guys like this to go to the combine and let those results factor in.

I take DDs top three. Laf, Stutz and Rossi. To me, these are the three best looking players on ice. However if you factor in the combine, Laf is still 1. Stutz, while reasonably tall enough, was very skinny and had room to grow (I heard he put on over a dozen pounds of muscle so far since the end of the season). Rossi however was already a fully grown, peak condition, little man beating up on boys in his league...in other words he has little physical upside for growth. That makes me slide him down out of the top six, below guys who are up swinging like Byfield and Sanderson.

On the hill to climb on peak condition and strength at 18 years old Rossi is not at the top .. Is he ahead of other players sure... but he still can get stronger , he may even grow a bit more. So let's say after complete dedication to getting stronger , great core strength and balance, he is half way up the hill while some of the guys you are now ranking ahead of him are at the bottom.. It may take those guys a couple of hard dedicated years to get to where Rossi is now, and Rossi will continue to improve and get stronger due to his undeniable dedication. Some of the players you are dropping Rossi for may never catch him.

Nice theory spoken as factual though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boo Boo

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
You've determined this information all by yourself without going to the combine, and these are all points people have raised on the Draft Dynasty channel. None of this is news to him.

I’m not revealing something to him (on HFB). I’m sharing my observation with people here in HFB. If I wanted to talk to him I would have posted directly on his YT or some other more direct way.

Also you don’t have to be at the combine to discuss what others have said who were at the combine.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
On the hill to climb on peak condition and strength at 18 years old Rossi is not at the top .. Is he ahead of other players sure... but he still can get stronger , he may even grow a bit more. So let's say after complete dedication to getting stronger , great core strength and balance, he is half way up the hill while some of the guys you are now ranking ahead of him are at the bottom.. It may take those guys a couple of hard dedicated years to get to where Rossi is now, and Rossi will continue to improve and get stronger due to his undeniable dedication. Some of the players you are dropping Rossi for may never catch him.

Nice theory spoken as factual though.

Are you referring to yourself with your comment?

Your “anyone can get stronger argument” really is meaningless. Scouts at the combine all know that those who are physically mature and already strong, the more difficult it is to add on more mass. It’s relative. And just about all scouting on Rossi states his lower half is a lot like Martin St. Louis. Where as someone who is tall and relatively skinny may have a frame to add on much more muscle, like Stutzle.

I’m not someone who had the ability to go to combines nor is correctly speculating on a player’s physique through their hockey jerseys and pads. Like many here, I read what I can, especially for things I can’t personally observe from videos, and I’ve read several times that Rossi both in observation of play and at the combine that he’s a buff guy for 5’9” and for his age. That is not a theory. Kids who are already muscular have a lower ceiling for gaining more muscularity is not a theory of mine. It’s something team scouts look at closely at the combine, projecting the ceiling for improvement at the hands of the coaching staff. That’s a fact. Prospects with a lot of room for physical strength improvement (but have good fundamentals) but already have big on ice accomplishments already are looked at very favorably.

Reactions: bert

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
I’m not revealing something to him (on HFB). I’m sharing my observation with people here in HFB. If I wanted to talk to him I would have posted directly on his YT or some other more direct way.

Also you don’t have to be at the combine to discuss what others have said who were at the combine.
You suggested his rankings would change if he’d been to the combine and seen how manly Rossi is. It’s a ridiculous point. He knows Rossi is in better shape than the other players and ranked him third anyway.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Are you referring to yourself with your comment?

Your “anyone can get stronger argument” really is meaningless. Scouts at the combine all know that those who are physically mature and already strong, the more difficult it is to add on more mass. It’s relative. And just about all scouting on Rossi states his lower half is a lot like Martin St. Louis. Where as someone who is tall and relatively skinny may have a frame to add on much more muscle, like Stutzle.

I’m not someone who had the ability to go to combines nor is correctly speculating on a player’s physique through their hockey jerseys and pads. Like many here, I read what I can, especially for things I can’t personally observe from videos, and I’ve read several times that Rossi both in observation of play and at the combine that he’s a buff guy for 5’9” and for his age. That is not a theory. Kids who are already muscular have a lower ceiling for gaining more muscularity is not a theory of mine. It’s something team scouts look at closely at the combine, projecting the ceiling for improvement at the hands of the coaching staff. That’s a fact. Prospects with a lot of room for physical strength improvement (but have good fundamentals) but already have big on ice accomplishments already are looked at very favorably.
Obviously I have come up against the oracle of truth
I 've been following ... I recall mittelstadt as well.
I think I was more specific in the profile of someone that get results through training than saying "anyone"

Last edited:

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
This is Craig Button’s assessment:

Helge Grans - Defence - TSN.ca

Craig Button's Analysis

"Steady, two-way defenceman who can play in all situations. Reads plays well, both defensively and offensively and plays with an efficiency that is not flashy but highly effective."
Projection: No. 3/No. 4 Steady Defenceman
Comparable: Chris Tanev

Then you have DD, which is completely different but backs it up with video examples:

How can they both be right? One guy watches hours of games and provides great content from his garage. The other makes tv money. That seems fair, right?

DD is making the same mistake with Grans as he is making with Raymond - he only watches games and completely ignores/does not understand the context of their situations. It is one of the major flaws with his way of scouting (just watching video/shift-by-shit and not actually following the players/leagues). He is doing the same thing but in reverse with Heineman, although that might pan out in his favor in the end.

Reactions: McGilliScout

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
You suggested his rankings would change if he’d been to the combine and seen how manly Rossi is. It’s a ridiculous point. He knows Rossi is in better shape than the other players and ranked him third anyway.

I’m the one giving him the benefit of the doubt it seems. NHL scouts specifically measure physical traits at the combine, this is one of those reasons why they measure it. I’m not assuming anything that he doesn’t discuss, and the only thing he discusses is what he sees, which is totally honest on his part. So I don’t think you should put words in his mouth. He doesn’t say anything about being at the combine nor factoring anything into his rankings about it. If you look at purely on ice results, I agree with him...Rossi is 3, maybe even 2 with how effective he was at his team’s tier. And he has some room to grow more, physically. But he doesn’t have the room to grow anywhere near as much as someone like Stutzle or the other prospects on the same tier. This is a normal thing in scouting, to measure additional potential against current level of play...not sure why you’re arguing against scouting. Rossi has a higher potential of transferring his ability into an NHL player but potentially has a lower ceiling relative to his current ability.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Obviously I have come up against the oracle of truth
I 've been following ... I recall mittelstadt as well.
I think I was more specific in the profile of someone that get results through training than saying "anyone"

I’m not bothering with you. I can tell from your above statements that you take this personal when we’re just discussing a random prospect. I mean, what does Mittlestadt have to do with anything??? You use a personal example when talking to another person and you don’t even punctuate so I have no idea what you’re saying in one place and then you wander off on another tangent. Whatever. Maybe argue with a mirror?

For the benefit of anyone else that’s reading this:
Anyone who trains or trains other people knows...at a certain point the stronger a person already is and the lower their fat content, the more difficult it is to become even stronger. And on top of that, at a certain point, becoming so strong may adversely affect flexibility, which is needed for things like skating.
Rossi, from what I heard from those at the combine or looking at combine results, is already a top physical specimen, especially in his lower half, like St. Louis. There’s not much left to be desired there nor is there a high ceiling from improvement, I heard. He is what he is, he is not a huge untapped potential guy like Byfield or Stutzle. He’s close to his peak, physically.

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
DD is making the same mistake with Grans as he is making with Raymond - he only watches games and completely ignores/does not understand the context of their situations. It is one of the major flaws with his way of scouting (just watching video/shift-by-shit and not actually following the players/leagues). He is doing the same thing but in reverse with Heineman, although that might pan out in his favor in the end.

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to say?

You might not be aware of this but I do have a fulltime job + A social life (friends) + Girlfriend + I also do multiple sports. Not enough time in the day for me to master all the leagues in the world and to know exactly everything about each players. That said, I did watch Raymond and Grans both in the SHL and SuperElit + Hlinka, WJC and Five nation.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to say?

You might not be aware of this but I do have a fulltime job + A social life (friends) + Girlfriend + I also do multiple sports. Not enough time in the day for me to master all the leagues in the world and to know exactly everything about each players. That said, I did watch Raymond and Grans both in the SHL and SuperElit + Hlinka, WJC and Five nation.

Yannick don't waste your time here then. You have a legion of fans now to defend you!

Make us more videos plz!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So, he lists all the great things about No. 7, 8, 9, and 10. Might give a comment as to why he doesn't rank them higher, but it's mostly good.

Gets to Byfield at 6.

Good: has upside
Comments about him:
- has size (that he doesn't fully use)
- is younger than the rest of the draft (but who cares)
- the OHL defense is unstructured, which he capitalized off of (though this wasn't used against any other OHL player in the ranking)
- didn't look good on the big stage
- apparently doesn't pay attention to rankings but references how upset viewers may be that Byfield's not top-2?

He spent the entire segment ****ting on Byfield to defend his ranking than to provide an even-handed, honest approach and analysis.

It comes across as disingenuous at best. Who would spend a 6th overall pick on an oversized player who takes advantage of weak defense but fails at the big stage? Upside? In what?

And I say this as someone who would be happy with Stutzle at No. 2 for LA, too.

After all this he returns to the Top-5 and how they're his favorites.

Edit: It's not even about ranking Byfield sixth. It was just an unfair presentation and analysis relative to the other 9.

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
So, he lists all the great things about No. 7, 8, 9, and 10. Might give a comment as to why he doesn't rank them higher, but it's mostly good.

Gets to Byfield at 6.

Good: has upside
Comments about him:
- has size (that he doesn't fully use)
- is younger than the rest of the draft (but who cares)
- the OHL defense is unstructured, which he capitalized off of (though this wasn't used against any other OHL player in the ranking)
- didn't look good on the big stage
- apparently doesn't pay attention to rankings but references how upset viewers may be that Byfield's not top-2?

He spent the entire segment ****ting on Byfield to defend his ranking than to provide an even-handed, honest approach and analysis.

It comes across as disingenuous at best. Who would spend a 6th overall pick on an oversized player who takes advantage of weak defense but fails at the big stage? Upside? In what?

And I say this as someone who would be happy with Stutzle at No. 2 for LA, too.

After all this he returns to the Top-5 and how they're his favorites

He did nothing wrong. Keep in mind he did a separate video on Byfield individually that was likely 10 + minutes. It should also be pointed out that Byfield was on at least two of his top 10 lists (best skaters, shooters, and playmakers). He elaborated on why he has him lower. I’m glad he was honest about it rather than follow the crowd or align his choices with Bobs list.

Reactions: The Sweetness

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He did nothing wrong. Keep in mind he did a separate video on Byfield individually that was likely 10 + minutes. It should also be pointed out that Byfield was on at least two of his top 10 lists (best skaters, shooters, and playmakers). He elaborated on why he has him lower. I’m glad he was honest about it rather than follow the crowd or align his choices with Bobs list.

This was my first DD video. Isolated from his other videos, the presentation is handled unfairly. He didn't even say "I have other videos where I rank him top-10 in these skills." He just started by saying "I have other videos you should watch first.

He doesn't need to align his choices or follow the crowd. But this is a lousy first impression.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
This was my first DD video. Isolated from his other videos, the presentation is handled unfairly. He didn't even say "I have other videos where I rank him top-10 in these skills." He just started by saying "I have other videos you should watch first.

He doesn't need to align his choices or follow the crowd. But this is a lousy first impression.

Keep in mind this was the last of his 2020 videos. He had done dozens of videos preceding this. He might have had the impression that most viewers had seen his previous content.

He does great work. You should watch his other videos.

Reactions: The Sweetness

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I don't think you'd get that impression if you watched the Byfield video first.

This minute on Byfield was more of "why I'm ranking Byfield sixth" which of course would have to be generally negative, considering the alternative is taking him top 1-3. We already know the positives, this is about explaining the rankings.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't think you'd get that impression if you watched the Byfield video first.

This minute on Byfield was more of "why I'm ranking Byfield sixth" which of course would have to be generally negative, considering the alternative is taking him top 1-3. We already know the positives, this is about explaining the rankings.

Maybe. And I appreciate anyone who watches and forms their own opinion and makes their own list(s).

But my point stands, unless Byfield is the only player he made a supplemental video on, he spent the entire time talking about his negatives instead of what makes him a top pick. As someone whose first impression is this video, it's disappointing.

I understand ultimately my criticism means little, but in isolation, this looks like the other scouting service where only Byfield was criticized in his profile, and players ranked below him had praises heaped on them.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe. And I appreciate anyone who watches and forms their own opinion and makes their own list(s).

But my point stands, unless Byfield is the only player he made a supplemental video on, he spent the entire time talking about his negatives instead of what makes him a top pick. As someone whose first impression is this video, it's disappointing.

I understand ultimately my criticism means little, but in isolation, this looks like the other scouting service where only Byfield was criticized in his profile, and players ranked below him had praises heaped on them.

It's clear that the players who were ranked lower on DD's list than on the consensus list (Raymond, Byfield, Bourque, etc..) got more negative treatments. And the players who were higher (Robins, Rashevsky, Jarvis, Sanderson, Rossi, etc..) got glowing reports. It's obviously explaining why he's lower than others, so of course it is negative.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Have to give the guy credit, he definitely puts his time into watching all these prospects thoroughly and then makes his own judgement calls without getting caught up in consensus rankings. Whether he turns out to be more right than wrong remains to be seen years down the road in hindsight, but at least he's able to provide sensible reasoning for why he feels the way he does, outside of just pointing to other people's opinions.

I'm also a huge fan of Jarvis so I don't have much issue with the high ranking. I'd be happy with the Ducks selecting him at 6 depending on who's available, agree with DD that he has the chance to become a game breaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad