GDT: Draft Day

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
to sum up
http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=887324&navid=DL|STL|home

BUFFALO - The St. Louis Blues made eight selections at the 2016 NHL Draft at First Niagara Center in Buffalo.

Below is a quick look at what the Blues added. For more coverage of the Draft, visit stlouisblues.com/draft.

First Round, 26th Overall – Tage Thompson (forward)
Thompson, 18, dressed in 36 games during his freshman season at the University of Connecticut in 2015-16, recording 32 points, including 14 goals and 18 assists. In 2014-15, the 6’5, 194-pound forward appeared in 64 games with the United States National U-18 Team, posting 26 points (12 goals, 14 assists) and 32 penalty minutes. In addition, the Oyster Bay, New York, native dressed in seven games with Team USA at the U-18 World Junior Championships, helping the team capture the Gold Medal.

Second Round, 35th Overall – Jordan Kyrou (forward)
Kyrou, 18, has spent the past two seasons with the Ontario Hockey League's (OHL) Sarnia Sting. In 2015-16, the 6'0, 183-pound forward ranked third on the Sting with 51 points (17 goals, 34 assists) in 65 regular season games, earning a selection to the Canadian Hockey League's (CHL) Top Prospects Game. In addition, in international play, the Toronto, Ontario native logged eight points (five goals, three assists) in eight games at the 2015 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup, helping Team Canada capture the Gold Medal.

Second Round, 59th Overall – Evan Fitzpatrick (goaltender)
Fitzpatrick, 18, has spent the past two seasons with the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League's (QMJHL) Sherbrooke Phoenix. In 2015-16, the 6'3, 222-pound goaltender posted an 18-26-8 record along with a 3.42 goals against average, a .896 save percentage and two shutouts, earning a selection to the CHL Top Prospects Game. In international play, the St. John's, Newfoundland, native recorded a 3.17 goals against average and a .895 save percentage in five games with Team Canada at the 2016 U-18 World Junior Championships. In 2014-15, Fitzpatrick was named to the QMJHL All-Rookie Team after accruing a 13-11-3 record along with a 3.41 goals against average and a .884 save percentage.

Fourth Round, 119th Overall – Tanner Kaspick (forward)
Kaspick, 18, has spent the past two seasons with the Western Hockey League's (WHL) Brandon Wheat Kings. In 2015-16, the 6'1, 201-pound forward collected 31 points (13 goals, 18 assists) in 53 regular season games as well as 10 points (five goals, five assists) in 21 postseason appearances, leading the Wheat Kings to WHL Championship. In international play, the Brandon, Manitoba, native dressed in four games with Team Canada at the 2015 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup, helping the team capture the Gold Medal.

Fifth Round, 125th Overall – Nolan Stevens (forward)
Stevens, 19, has spent the past two seasons at Northeastern University after graduating from the United States Developmental Program. In 2015-16, the 6'3, 185-pound forward collected 42 points, including a team-leading 20 goals, in 41 regular season games while leading Northeastern to the 2016 Hockey East Championship. In international play, the Sea Isle City, New Jersey, native dressed in seven games with Team USA at the 2014 U-18 World Junior Championships, helping the team capture the Gold Medal.

Fifth Round, 144th Overall – Conner Bleackley (forward)
Bleackley, 20, has spent the past five seasons with the WHL's Red Deer Rebels. In 2015-16, the 6'1, 192-pound forward ranked fifth on the Rebels with 46 points (13 goals, 33 assists) in 55 regular season games. In international play, the High River, Alberta, native served as an Assistant Captain on Team Canada at the 2014 U-18 World Junior Championships, helping the team capture the Bronze Medal.

Seventh Round, 209th Overall – Nikolaj Krag Christensen (forward)
Nikolaj Krag Christensen, 17, dressed in 30 games with Rodovre in Denmark in 2015-16, posting four points (two goals, two assists) and 10 penalty minutes. In international play, the 6'3, 201-pound forward dressed in seven games as an Assistant Captain for Denmark at the 2016 U-18 World Junior Championships, helping the team capture the Division 1A Gold Medal. The Rodovre, Denmark, native also appeared in five games at the 2016 U-20 World Junior Championships.

Seventh Round, 211th Overall – Filip Helt (forward)

Helt, 18, has spent the past five seasons with HC Litvinov in the Czech Republic. In 2015-16, the 6'1, 194-pound forward posted 46 points (20 goals, 26 assists) in 42 games in the Czech U-18 league, while logging three assists in seven games with the U-20 club.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
to sum up
http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=887324&navid=DL|STL|home

BUFFALO - The St. Louis Blues made eight selections at the 2016 NHL Draft at First Niagara Center in Buffalo.

Below is a quick look at what the Blues added. For more coverage of the Draft, visit stlouisblues.com/draft.

First Round, 26th Overall – Tage Thompson (forward)
Thompson, 18, dressed in 36 games during his freshman season at the University of Connecticut in 2015-16, recording 32 points, including 14 goals and 18 assists. In 2014-15, the 6’5, 194-pound forward appeared in 64 games with the United States National U-18 Team, posting 26 points (12 goals, 14 assists) and 32 penalty minutes. In addition, the Oyster Bay, New York, native dressed in seven games with Team USA at the U-18 World Junior Championships, helping the team capture the Gold Medal.

Second Round, 35th Overall – Jordan Kyrou (forward)
Kyrou, 18, has spent the past two seasons with the Ontario Hockey League's (OHL) Sarnia Sting. In 2015-16, the 6'0, 183-pound forward ranked third on the Sting with 51 points (17 goals, 34 assists) in 65 regular season games, earning a selection to the Canadian Hockey League's (CHL) Top Prospects Game. In addition, in international play, the Toronto, Ontario native logged eight points (five goals, three assists) in eight games at the 2015 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup, helping Team Canada capture the Gold Medal.

Second Round, 59th Overall – Evan Fitzpatrick (goaltender)
Fitzpatrick, 18, has spent the past two seasons with the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League's (QMJHL) Sherbrooke Phoenix. In 2015-16, the 6'3, 222-pound goaltender posted an 18-26-8 record along with a 3.42 goals against average, a .896 save percentage and two shutouts, earning a selection to the CHL Top Prospects Game. In international play, the St. John's, Newfoundland, native recorded a 3.17 goals against average and a .895 save percentage in five games with Team Canada at the 2016 U-18 World Junior Championships. In 2014-15, Fitzpatrick was named to the QMJHL All-Rookie Team after accruing a 13-11-3 record along with a 3.41 goals against average and a .884 save percentage.

Fourth Round, 119th Overall – Tanner Kaspick (forward)
Kaspick, 18, has spent the past two seasons with the Western Hockey League's (WHL) Brandon Wheat Kings. In 2015-16, the 6'1, 201-pound forward collected 31 points (13 goals, 18 assists) in 53 regular season games as well as 10 points (five goals, five assists) in 21 postseason appearances, leading the Wheat Kings to WHL Championship. In international play, the Brandon, Manitoba, native dressed in four games with Team Canada at the 2015 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup, helping the team capture the Gold Medal.

Fifth Round, 125th Overall – Nolan Stevens (forward)
Stevens, 19, has spent the past two seasons at Northeastern University after graduating from the United States Developmental Program. In 2015-16, the 6'3, 185-pound forward collected 42 points, including a team-leading 20 goals, in 41 regular season games while leading Northeastern to the 2016 Hockey East Championship. In international play, the Sea Isle City, New Jersey, native dressed in seven games with Team USA at the 2014 U-18 World Junior Championships, helping the team capture the Gold Medal.

Fifth Round, 144th Overall – Conner Bleackley (forward)
Bleackley, 20, has spent the past five seasons with the WHL's Red Deer Rebels. In 2015-16, the 6'1, 192-pound forward ranked fifth on the Rebels with 46 points (13 goals, 33 assists) in 55 regular season games. In international play, the High River, Alberta, native served as an Assistant Captain on Team Canada at the 2014 U-18 World Junior Championships, helping the team capture the Bronze Medal.

Seventh Round, 209th Overall – Nikolaj Krag Christensen (forward)
Nikolaj Krag Christensen, 17, dressed in 30 games with Rodovre in Denmark in 2015-16, posting four points (two goals, two assists) and 10 penalty minutes. In international play, the 6'3, 201-pound forward dressed in seven games as an Assistant Captain for Denmark at the 2016 U-18 World Junior Championships, helping the team capture the Division 1A Gold Medal. The Rodovre, Denmark, native also appeared in five games at the 2016 U-20 World Junior Championships.

Seventh Round, 211th Overall – Filip Helt (forward)

Helt, 18, has spent the past five seasons with HC Litvinov in the Czech Republic. In 2015-16, the 6'1, 194-pound forward posted 46 points (20 goals, 26 assists) in 42 games in the Czech U-18 league, while logging three assists in seven games with the U-20 club.

I really like Nolan Stevens. Odd pick, having been passed over last year, but he has progressed quite a bit. Highly productive in his 2nd college year. Point per game is pretty impressive.

Lots of size.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I also like the flyers that they took in the 7th round on a couple Euros with some offensive skill and size. Really like the Bleackley pick alot. More than once, I thought of him as a potential scenery change pick to get him anyway. I saw Northeastern play, but I don't remember Stevens standing out in anyway good or bad. Those are impressive numbers for a college player though. I was keying on Kurker and his play, which wasn't overly eventful either.... I like both of the depth center picks, both have some potential. Still don't get the goalie pick, but....

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I also like the flyers that they took in the 7th round on a couple Euros with some offensive skill and size. Really like the Bleackley pick alot. More than once, I thought of him as a potential scenery change pick to get him anyway. I saw Northeastern play, but I don't remember Stevens standing out in anyway good or bad. Those are impressive numbers for a college player though. I was keying on Kurker and his play, which wasn't overly eventful either.... I like both of the depth center picks, both have some potential. Still don't get the goalie pick, but....

Size, work ethic, #1 potential. As much as "size" has been talked about this weekend for skaters, fact of the matter is that sooner than later it is going to be hard to find an NHL goalie shorter than 6'2". Fitzpatrick has that size and also seems like he has the right mindset/work ethic to make it at the next level.

Playing in the QMJHL, his numbers aren't spectacular but you have to look a little deeper than the numbers for the full story. He had multiple 70+ save games last season which is impressive on it's own, but also underscores the point that he is seeing a lot of shots and playing a lot of minutes which will help his development IMO. Also, allowing multiple 70+ shot games indicates to me that the team in front of him might not be playing great D, which probably is not helping his SV% or GAA. Who knows if Fitz will be a #1 NHL goalie, but I am fine with the pick. Seems like a good kid, solid prospect, and in Bill Armstrong we trust!

Armstrong (Bill) talks about Fitzpatrick and the other picks here:
https://www.nhl.com/blues/video/armstrong-recaps-the-draft/t-277437432/c-44291403

Here is an interview with Fitzpatrick postdraft:
https://www.nhl.com/blues/video/fitzpatrick-interview/t-277437432/c-44285703

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The only thing I question is the goalie pick and not taking Debrincat when he was available at 35.

Armstrong figured that Kyrou growing into his body, and being a decent-sized skilled 2-way forward, would be a better overall contributor than a small, skilled forward. So, for me, the relatively small gamble on Kyrou was worth taking. Not sure why they picked a goaltender in the # 3 position, with a 2nd Rounder, especially given that they have Husso, Binnington and Copley, in addition to Nielsen. Maybe I'd have picked someone else than Thompson at 28, and not given up the extra 3rd, and still picked Kyrou.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Size, work ethic, #1 potential. As much as "size" has been talked about this weekend for skaters, fact of the matter is that sooner than later it is going to be hard to find an NHL goalie shorter than 6'2". Fitzpatrick has that size and also seems like he has the right mindset/work ethic to make it at the next level.

Playing in the QMJHL, his numbers aren't spectacular but you have to look a little deeper than the numbers for the full story. He had multiple 70+ save games last season which is impressive on it's own, but also underscores the point that he is seeing a lot of shots and playing a lot of minutes which will help his development IMO. Also, allowing multiple 70+ shot games indicates to me that the team in front of him might not be playing great D, which probably is not helping his SV% or GAA. Who knows if Fitz will be a #1 NHL goalie, but I am fine with the pick. Seems like a good kid, solid prospect, and in Bill Armstrong we trust!

Armstrong (Bill) talks about Fitzpatrick and the other picks here:
https://www.nhl.com/blues/video/armstrong-recaps-the-draft/t-277437432/c-44291403

Here is an interview with Fitzpatrick postdraft:
https://www.nhl.com/blues/video/fitzpatrick-interview/t-277437432/c-44285703

I'm not questioning whether or not he is a good goalie or a possible future #1. My question is why draft a goalie when you have Allen, Copley, Binnington, Husso, and Opilka already in the fold. I don't see in the minds of their scouts, but I saw a lot of talent still on the board. Keep in mind...Goalies don't hold much trade value, so it isn't like it is an asset you can flip either. You have so many contracts and usually so few places they can fill. We have two years to sign in him. Do you see at least 4 goalies above that will be under contract with the note in 2 years? That's my point. If Opilka went the college route, then it would've helped the Blues here. We have a ton of depth here, which isn't a bad thing and X # of contracts to fill.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
I'm not questioning whether or not he is a good goalie or a possible future #1. My question is why draft a goalie when you have Allen, Copley, Binnington, Husso, and Opilka already in the fold. I don't see in the minds of their scouts, but I saw a lot of talent still on the board. Keep in mind...Goalies don't hold much trade value, so it isn't like it is an asset you can flip either. You have so many contracts and usually so few places they can fill. We have two years to sign in him. Do you see at least 4 goalies above that will be under contract with the note in 2 years? That's my point. If Opilka went the college route, then it would've helped the Blues here. We have a ton of depth here, which isn't a bad thing and X # of contracts to fill.

If you have a shot at a goalie prospect you grab him every year. You can't have too many goalies in the pipeline. Most important player and hardest to scout.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

So what if we have 4+ goalies under contract? If they are good, the organization will find a place for them to play or make a move to trade them. And to your point, I am not sure all 4 of the goalies you mention even be under contract in 2 years. Luke Opilka for one is a long shot to make the NHL IMO, but also trades for young goalies do happen. One of the goalies you mention absolutely may be "flipped." How do you think we got Copley? The goalie market is a bit over saturated with talent at the moment and prices are somewhat depressed, but to say young goalies are assets that cannot be flipped right now is not correct.

If you have a shot at a goalie prospect you grab him every year. You can't have too many goalies in the pipeline. Most important player and hardest to scout.

Exactly.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Anyone else disappointed we didn't use either of our 7th round picks on Simon Stransky?

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
One of my disappointments was Patrick Bajkov , WHL Everett.
Kid has a great shot and speed. Biggest issue for him this year was the team around him wasn't the best offensively. When the game was on the line he played very well and wanted the puck. Just needed to get stronger but the hockey IQ, shoot, and speed are all there. Under the radar but went undrafted.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
PHP:
You don't spend the 59th on a goalie when you have as many in the pipeline as we do.

Exactly... or at least find a potential goalie in the USHL or high school ranks making a 4 year commitment to a college program. He can develop there. You can hold his rights longer. Make him an offer to pull him out early should the need arise. Since you don't really have a lower level farm club to brag about, a LT project like a goalie may be better served in the college ranks. Or perhaps you talk him into going to a college program to develop further...

who pulls more in trade value in order....
Barbashev
Binnington
Schmaltz

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
PHP:

Exactly... or at least find a potential goalie in the USHL or high school ranks making a 4 year commitment to a college program. He can develop there. You can hold his rights longer. Make him an offer to pull him out early should the need arise. Since you don't really have a lower level farm club to brag about, a LT project like a goalie may be better served in the college ranks. Or perhaps you talk him into going to a college program to develop further...

who pulls more in trade value in order....
Barbashev
Binnington
Schmaltz

Typically I agree to go and draft a goalie in the later rounds, but I think this pick was made strictly due to upside. I think saying we just drafted another goalie is a bit disingenuous. I know many people were hoping for Bitten, and I'm not saying that's wrong, but what would Bitten's total upside be compared to Fitzpatrick? Fitzpatrick has that "franchise goaltender" potential with his size and reflexes, while Bitten has goalscoring 2nd liner potential. Now of course this is assuming that everything goes right for Fitzpatrick and Bitten doesn't suddenly become Jamie Benn. In my eyes, this was the homerun swing pick of the draft. But then again I could just as easily be wrong and this could be one of the dumbest picks we've ever had.

I completely understand the annoyance with the pick though and I would have just as easily loved to draft someone like Bitten, or Abramov, or even Pitlick. However, I still like who we got instead and Fitzpatrick would have probably been the only only goalie available that I would have taken over those guys.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
bluesfan94 said:
I assume we didn't draft any finns, then.

Nailed it!

U20 WJC Champs 2016 winter

AR5D4749_Channel%20Homepage%20Slider.JPG

U18 WJC Champs 2016 spring

042516.s.gfh_.FinlandGold%20copy.jpg

Other teams amateur scouts knowledge them. :laugh:

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
U20 WJC Champs 2016 winter

AR5D4749_Channel%20Homepage%20Slider.JPG

U18 WJC Champs 2016 spring

042516.s.gfh_.FinlandGold%20copy.jpg

Other teams amateur scouts knowledge them. :laugh:

This is supposed to prove what, exactly? 15 Finns were drafted. Not even a full team, let alone too. Besides, there was no way in hell we were getting three. One would have required a larger trade up. Eight were fourth round or later which are essentially crapshoots. Pretending like our scouts just don't know Finnish players simply because we didn't draft them is probably the stupidest thing I've heard.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
This is supposed to prove what, exactly? 15 Finns were drafted. Not even a full team, let alone too. Besides, there was no way in hell we were getting three. One would have required a larger trade up. Eight were fourth round or later which are essentially crapshoots. Pretending like our scouts just don't know Finnish players simply because we didn't draft them is probably the stupidest thing I've heard.

Eetu Tuulola and Aapeli Räsänen 6th round are steal. Those aren't crapshoot. Looks like teams Canes, Calgary and Edmonton understand some value what couple finns were holding. Lets see where those boys develope and then compare what we got.

Note I'm speaking late round picks, not guys like Laine, Pulju, Juolevi, Borgström, welp ofc Kuokkanen, Bitten and Abramov were available to us #28 (or #35) and we would could keep our own 3rd round pick (caps), but they went for #26 lanky, glumpsy skating high tower Thompson.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Saying that two sixth round picks are not crapshoots is you greatly overvaluing them, probably because they're Finnish. If they were sure thing NHLers, they would have been drafted earlier. Full stop.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

Yes. But goaltenders are the most difficult to assess at a young age, because their position involves much more mental discipline making the difference between starters, backups and players that never make the top level, and because it takes much longer to master the position at a high level than it does for a forward, or even a defenceman.

So, it's much more dangerous choosing goaltenders in high draft rounds than it is choosing skaters. personally, I wouldn't draft a goaltender in Round 2 given already having an adequate, seasoned starter, as well as 3 reasonable future starter candidates already in the system, unless the goalie drafted had a past record of super success on all levels, all the tools to be great, and has exhibited a great attitude towards hard work, coaching and learning. In other words, I wouldn't have used a 2nd Round choice on a goalie in this draft, unless he was a 1st Round talent, who fell for some fluke reason.

I think The Blues could have better used that draft position, choosing another decent calibre forward, and taken their goalie near the beginning of the 4th Round.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Saying that two sixth round picks are not crapshoots is you greatly overvaluing them, probably because they're Finnish. If they were sure thing NHLers, they would have been drafted earlier. Full stop.

They were both projected to go higher around 3rd round.

One of guy was really projected to higher, but he got couple major injuries last season and his value dropped and he went #196, I view him same cagetory as swing or miss, last 'swing or miss' guy was #185. I rather take them then safe picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad