BigTeddyPaul

Jul 1, 2004
Sunny California
10_Helt_Filip.jpg

Looks intimidating.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
This is probably how I will remember this draft

Actually I'm pretty OK with how it went.
Potential PF goal scorer in the 1st
2-way speed demon and the highest ranked goalie in the second
Fairly safe grinder type in the 4th
developmental top 9 center and a close to NHL ready guy in the 5th
2 developmental type 2 way forwards in the 7th(both of whom have very good size)

Certainly not perfect and we could have gone other ways at some spots; but all in all it's not a bad haul. On the surface I actually like it better than 2012.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
I am just utterly disgusted with Doug Armstrong. Trading away one of our best goalies in franchise history for a ****ing second round pick has got to be one of Army's most pathetic moves ever. The fact that he can't ever seem to get a deal where the Blues come out on top or at least don't get completely screwed value-wise is just another clear indication that Doug Armstrong is completely overrated in this league in terms of his management capabilities. If it weren't for Bill Armstrong's drafting in recent years, this team would legitimately suck right now.

Army continues to burn assets while being completely incapable of acquiring new ones that can actually put this team over the top and adjust to the modern game of skill and speed. I feel as though both he and Hitch are stuck in the 90's era of hockey and have no clue how to adjust to the modern game. Just absolutely pathetic. How much longer until Stillman grows a pair and fires this hack before he begins to sink this ship?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I am just utterly disgusted with Doug Armstrong. Trading away one of our best goalies in franchise history for a ****ing second round pick has got to be one of Army's most pathetic moves ever. The fact that he can't ever seem to get a deal where the Blues come out on top or at least don't get completely screwed value-wise is just another clear indication that Doug Armstrong is completely overrated in this league in terms of his management capabilities. If it weren't for Bill Armstrong's drafting in recent years, this team would legitimately suck right now.

Army continues to burn assets while being completely incapable of acquiring new ones that can actually put this team over the top and adjust to the modern game of skill and speed. I feel as though both he and Hitch are stuck in the 90's era of hockey and have no clue how to adjust to the modern game. Just absolutely pathetic. How much longer until Stillman grows a pair and fires this hack before he begins to sink this ship?
Everyone knows I don't like a strong majority of Armstrong's moves, but the value for Elliot is not one of then. The decision to move him, I might take issue with depending how this off season progresses.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Everyone knows I don't like a strong majority of Armstrong's moves, but the value for Elliot is not one of him. The decision to move him, I might take issue with depending how this off season progresses.

Well right, it's more so about the fact that if you're only going to get a second round pick, don't move him at all. The "value" might technically be correct but still an awful move because Elliot would help us so much next year. What's going to happen when Allen ultimately collapses mid season? :facepalm:

I was one who kept saying you only trade Elliot for a gross overpayment.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Well right, it's more so about the fact that if you're only going to get a second round pick, don't move him at all. The "value" might technically be correct but still an awful move because Elliot would help us so much next year. What's going to happen when Allen ultimately collapses mid season? :facepalm:

Then Army will acquire Miller vol 2.0, picks and prospects will fly.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Pretty happy with this draft. Never saw too much of Thompson but I like what I hear. Any team could use a big center like him. Bleackley a great pick as well. Nice value.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
We started with an average first rounder, but I liked what we did beyond it.

I really like Kyrou and I also really like Fitzpatrick, although I'm definitely in the minority in that. Bleakley as a 5th rounder is great value, I think, and it will be interesting to see how Nolan Stevens and Tanner Kaspick develop.

All in all, not the best draft, but I like almost everyone we got.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I think the most questionable pick was the Kaspick one, especially with some solid players like Bobylev and Stallard still on the board, but I trust Armstrong. Kaspick did have a pretty solid postseason performance.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016

I'm coming from a place where I feel like I would never be truly happy with Elliott leaving, but knew that it was going to happen one way or another after this season. This is the cap in action. Every team is having to make decisions like this. I think it is a good thing because we actually did get something for him. He would have walked away next year for nothing if we hadn't done something with him. Plus we dropped some cap. Chicago spent this whole draft stockpiling picks because they are stuck in the mud this season and will most likely have to wait a couple of years to soften their cap before they will be able to do anything outside of their prospects for upgrades. If we make silly decisions and run right up against the cap we will end up the same way. Plus the "who is our # 1 goalie" controversy is finally over. I hate to see Elliott go, but we all knew it was coming.

bluesfan3109

Let's Go Blues!!!
Jan 26, 2015
STL/IL

What's going to happen when Allen ultimately doesn't get injured and plays like he did at the beginning of the season?:facepalm:

Jeez I'm so sick of people acting like Allen is some garbage backup that can't play. He's a solid goalie already who is still coming into his prime, I mean come on he's only 25, he's working with potentially the best goalie coach out there, and when you trade away a goalie like Ben Bishop b/c Jake Allen is your goalie of the future then you have to turn the net over to him at some point. His time is now and I can't wait for him to shut all of you up b/c you're ridiculous.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
What's going to happen when Allen ultimately doesn't get injured and plays like he did at the beginning of the season?:facepalm:

Jeez I'm so sick of people acting like Allen is some garbage backup that can't play. He's a solid goalie already who is still coming into his prime, I mean come on he's only 25, he's working with potentially the best goalie coach out there, and when you trade away a goalie like Ben Bishop b/c Jake Allen is your goalie of the future then you have to turn the net over to him at some point. His time is now and I can't wait for him to shut all of you up b/c you're ridiculous.

Jake Allen

Screen_Shot_2016_06_25_at_4_19_24_PM.png

If you ever want to win the Stanley Cup, then Jake Allen is certainly not the goalie of the future. I'd rather stick with the guy who essentially carried the team on his back to the Western Conference Finals for the first time in 14 years than the guy who crapped the bed against Minnesota last year and led us to another first round exit.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I think EB22 have to explain to all of us why he had William Bitten in his 1st round pick and why he was so high on him, now you saying he won't be impact player, 'cus he fall. He was one of the guy who I noted I would want late of 2nd round rather that G prospect. Abramov, Bitten or Björkqvist were my picks on #59.
I love a lot of things about Bitten's game, but he didn't have one thing that the Blues and a lot of other NHL teams covet...size. Bill Armstrong probably spent half his post-draft interview talking about the size of one guy or another. It was certainly the focal point of what he talked about with his top 3 picks (Thompson's size, Kyrou's need to fill out, Fitzpatrick's size).

I don't think the Blues picked a guy under 6'0'' this entire draft. You would think they'd be a bit more open to smaller guys since Fabbri (5'10'') and Schwartz (5'10'') comprise of 2/3rds of their most dangerous forwards, but whatever. Like I said someplace else, the Blues and I have lean in different philosophical directions on this and that doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon.

bluesfan3109

Let's Go Blues!!!
Jan 26, 2015
STL/IL
Jake Allen

If you ever want to win the Stanley Cup, then Jake Allen is certainly not the goalie of the future. I'd rather stick with the guy who essentially carried the team on his back to the Western Conference Finals for the first time in 14 years than the guy who crapped the bed against Minnesota last year and led us to another first round exit.

Oh no a 23 year old in his first playoff experience in the NHL struggled, he's awful and can never win. Give me a freaking break. Let's take a look at some of the best goalies out there and how they fared their first NHL playoff experience at an extremely young age like Allen...

Lundqvist(23-24) 4.41 GAA .835 SV%
Quick(23-24) 3.50GAA .884SV%
Crawford(24-25) 3.75GAA .857SV%

...good thing LA didn't stick to Quick or CHI to Crawford b/c those young kids could never win them a cup...

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Jake Allen

First of all, those are actually fairly good junior numbers.

Second, if we are going to bring up stats that involve his numbers on completely different teams, I see no reason to not include Elliotts' numbers from his days in Ottawa and Colorado.

I was upset after we traded Elliott, but after seeing how much people just like to bash Allen for really no reason, I want to see him gone just so he wouldn't have to put up with this nonsense. Allen has played a total of one playoff series during his rookie year, and I remember us fans all saying that he played solid enough for us to win. It's truly just hyperbolic and annoying with all of this "he'll inevitably collapse" garbage. It's also annoying me how Elliott proves a guy like Allen can develop into a guy that carries a team into the WCF and beyond. He was bounced around during his development until he was given a chance here and he made the most of it. Well now we have another guy who could still be developing and we are just gonna state speculative criticisms like they're facts to provide reasons why they believe Allen is worthless.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Hmmm, Army + Hitch have mentioned many occasion that NHL is going more faster pace game. Hitch even 'hyped' Dallas after they won this spring, Dallas is going right direction where the NHL is going, refering Dallas one the fastest and fast transition teams in NHL.

Still we draft 'size' matters players.

Tony MacDonald in Canes is such a beast amateur draftee. Just watch in the future Canes will be very dangerous team, not 'cus of finnish players, but how systematic they have drafted guys who have, high hockey IQ, well knowned from agility and strong skating.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Hmmm, Army + Hitch have mentioned many occasion that NHL is going more faster pace game. Hitch even 'hyped' Dallas after they won this spring, Dallas is going right direction where the NHL is going, refering Dallas one the fastest and fast transition teams in NHL.

Still we draft 'size' matters players.

Tony MacDonald in Canes is such a beast amateur draftee. Just watch in the future Canes will be very dangerous team, not 'cus of finnish players, but how systematic they have drafted guys who have, high hockey IQ, well knowned from agility and strong skating.
And because they have a lot of good Finns ;)

But for real, they should be very scary.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm not happy with Elliott leaving but given the knowledge I have now of the situation, its unfortunate but should have seen it coming. I'm not Allens biggest fan but he was absolutely sensational before the ASG. Kid was the Tarasenko of the net. Human highlight real. Any GM would most likely invest in Allen long term over Elliott.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'm not happy with Elliott leaving but given the knowledge I have now of the situation, its unfortunate but should have seen it coming. I'm not Allens biggest fan but he was absolutely sensational before the ASG. Kid was the Tarasenko of the net. Human highlight real. Any GM would most likely invest in Allen long term over Elliott.

If Allen was "the Tarasenko of the net", how come Elliott put up better overall numbers this year? Highlight reel plays are good for skaters, but it usually implies something went wrong when goalies are forced to make them.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If Allen was "the Tarasenko of the net", how come Elliott put up better overall numbers this year? Highlight reel plays are good for skaters, but it usually implies something went wrong when goalies are forced to make them.

It can be poor positioning, and Allen is much more aggressive than Elliott, so that factors in, but let's not forget that our team defense was god awful by our standards during that time.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Alot of those came from terrible defensive breakdowns. One key one that sticks with me is the save on Dano. Allens positioning wasn't a problem, defense was. Your point is valid though, I'm more speaking to the idea idea that I think some have forgotten just how irrelevant Allen made Elliott prior to his injury. Again....I'm hardly on the Allen band wagon, I just recognized this was the best move to make asset wise.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
I'm happy they are going with Allen. His ability to play the puck makes a huge difference in helping the D out. As long as he can improve his consistency and avoid the soft goals in high pressure games the Blues will do well with him in net. Sometimes it takes goalies a little longer to get the mental side of the game down pat. He is still young and can improve. I would expect Edmundson and Parayko to improve as they get more experience as well. Each of those guys have close to 100 games under their belt thanks to the playoff run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad