GDT: Draft Day Part 4: Rangers Select Stogie At 0 Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Typical treatment of offensive defensemen. Like I always say, if they had internet when Bobby Orr was around, people would crap on him.

I think there's also a generation (or two) of fans who got spoiled by Leetch - who has become the gold standard.

But we don't have to have the second coming of Brian Leetch to have a good offensive defenseman, especially at half price.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
As I've gotten older, I've found that I enjoy wine when watching sports at home. As strange as it sounds, it actually does a good job of quieting the nerves.

Yeah. I'm with ya. Doing pushups during games has gotten old. More wine for me at game time next season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yandle is not a bad player. In the right situation, he's a good #2 defenseman. The problem is that he gets limited minutes because we are really good at LHD already, AV doesn't like to play defenseman on their off-side, Yandle's usage on the PP was shockingly much lower than expected and there could definitely be problems re-signing him in the future.

We gave up a lot for Yandle. We gave up Duclair, 2016 first and 2015 second for Yandle. We've already seen that Duclair has the skill to be an impact player in the NHL. Stating he's just a 3rd round prospect is a silly argument at this point. He's a young NHL ready forward with top line upside. The picks are also a lot. I don't care the caliber of the player, a guy playing 3rd pair and 2nd PP minutes is not worth what we gave up (if that player is only with the team for 1.5 seasons), no matter if that player is good or not.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
and if those point totals do happen expect to pay thru the nose otherwise he won't be here after next year but obviously i hope he has a monster year and elevates our pp (Hope he gets the chance to! AV you listening?)

I'd be happy with 10 goals and 55 points. Anything above that is gravy.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Yandle is not a bad player. In the right situation, he's a good #2 defenseman. The problem is that he gets limited minutes because we are really good at LHD already, AV doesn't like to play defenseman on their off-side, Yandle's usage on the PP was shockingly much lower than expected and there could definitely be problems re-signing him in the future.

We gave up a lot for Yandle. We gave up Duclair, 2016 first and 2015 second for Yandle. We've already seen that Duclair has the skill to be an impact player in the NHL. Stating he's just a 3rd round prospect is a silly argument at this point. He's a young NHL ready forward with top line upside. The picks are also a lot. I don't care the caliber of the player, a guy playing 3rd pair and 2nd PP minutes is not worth what we gave up (if that player is only with the team for 1.5 seasons), no matter if that player is good or not.

I agree. For what we gave up, it was not worth it if 93 is going to be put into the role AV put him into last season. He needs to be in the top-4.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I liked Zubov, but man did some fans get on his case back in the day. I see a very similar response to Yandle.

I just worry that nothing short of 20 goals and 75 points will satisfy some fans. And that's just not going to happen.

No offense but that's using a complete idiot to make a point. Anyone *****ing about Zubov is a complete waste of time and space. I am serious anyone that watched him play and could not see his ability is/was a fool and not worth time even discussing.

Also **** Messier and Smith. That trade still makes me want to kick puppies, wow was I angry when I heard that bit of news, the single worst trade I was alive to see the Rangers make.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
No offense but that's using a complete idiot to make a point. Anyone *****ing about Zubov is a complete waste of time and space. I am serious anyone that watched him play and could not see his ability is/was a fool and not worth time even discussing.

Also **** Messier and Smith. That trade still makes me want to kick puppies, wow was I angry when I heard that bit of news, the single worst trade I was alive to see the Rangers make.

Unfortunately, that's the way it was. Not isolated either. At the time there was some concern about his decision making process and defensive play and countless people who were infuriated by his reluctance to shoot.

Of course it all seems silly now, but something tells me that if we changed the name and had a similar player today, the conversations would be eerily similar.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

We either have to trade Staal, or AV has to man up and get over his LD-RD fetish.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We either have to trade Staal, or AV has to man up and get over his LD-RD fetish.

I'm cool with trading Klein, moving McD to the right side to play with Staal, Yandle taking Staal's minutes and playing with Girardi, GOAT Boyle playing with Skjei on the third pair.

Sounds good to everyone?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'm cool with trading Klein, moving McD to the right side to play with Staal, Yandle taking Staal's minutes and playing with Girardi, GOAT Boyle playing with Skjei on the third pair.

Sounds good to everyone?
I know you're being facetious but I would actually like to see something like

Yandle-McDonagh
Staal-Boyle
Hunwick-Girardi

Yandle is just too talented not to get more ice time as a Ranger, and let's be honest, at the end of the day Lundqvist is really our defense.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Getting 2 seconds this year should be better then 1 next year for Talbot. Rangers window should be open 2-3 more years, and even any prospect gotten in this years draft would be a long shot to could contribute in this window. The cupboard is almost bare, and we will run out of futures to trade for help pretty soon.

We all know (and I guess most GM's do), that we will have to shed salary before season starts. A good draft where multiple teams had many picks/prospects
avaible should been the best time to do it, but so far it looks like most of the possible teams have used their assets on other fronts.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Ahahahahaha!!!!

Are. You. ****ing. Kidding. Me!!

Holy deals went the **** down. And we look like the **** of the league. What in the name of god did Boston do!?! They went full ****** dealing Hamilton it's ridic. Reinhardt goes to Calgary. It's ****ing crazy, I have to process this ****.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Skjei/Mcillraith as a homegrown, 1st round (rare breed in NYC) 3rd pairing after New Year would be optimal if they are up to it. Time will tell. Very cost controlled

Can't trade Girardi.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
if we can get a young player who can jump play on the 3rd line immediately and has 2nd line potential I'm all for it. Kinda disappointed though, I was hoping we'd have snagged ourselves a 1st rounder when I woke up. Oh well.

Thoughts on the draft.

Kinda surprised Hanifin was still there for the Canes. But I can see why TOR and ARZ would pas on him. Rielly and OEL are young #1 defenders (yes, Rielly not quite yet but he'll get there fast enough). ARZ forward group is ridiculous in a negative way and TOR has been needing that #1 C since I can think.

I think Zacha - and I like him because Czech bias here - at 6 is a bit of a reach. I'd have taken Provorov and Rantanen, possibly Werenski over him. However, yes, I get it, between Merrill, Severson and Larsson the Debbies don't exactly need young defenders in their system.

I think Eriksson-Ek is going to turn out to be a steal. Good for MIN to grab him. Kinda surprised DET didn't though.

I've never heard of this kid the Bruins drafted. I'd be ****ing furious if I was a Bs fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad